The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women Countdown: Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Think i'm going to send my list soon. Might try to check out a few more of Céline Sciamma's films as i quite liked Tomboy, Girlhood at least. If anyone has any other must watches that they don't think i've seen then go ahead!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Matrix top 10 I reckon

On a serious note I think someone should begin, or begin to think about another all time top 100 movies, to begin early 2020 or late 2019. The last one was 2010, it should be a once per decade event imo.

On a serious note I think someone should begin, or begin to think about another all time top 100 movies, to begin early 2020 or late 2019. The last one was 2010, it should be a once per decade event imo.
That is what's happening. Following this is the 1930's then some other genre or whatever then an all-time redo i believe.

That is what's happening. Following this is the 1930's then some other genre or whatever then an all-time redo i believe.
What genre hasn't been done yet? Is there one? What about cult films?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Think i'm going to send my list soon. Might try to check out a few more of Céline Sciamma's films as i quite liked Tomboy, Girlhood at least. If anyone has any other must watches that they don't think i've seen then go ahead!
I've only seen Water Lilies from Sciamma and that was a bit odd so I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

As for other films, I would suggest:

In Between (2016, Maysaloun Hamoud) (because you rated Mustang)
Monsoon Wedding (2001, Mira Nair) (British/Indian drama that doesn't get much love recently)
Paris Is Burning (1990, Jennie Livingstone) (documentary about the New York drag scene in the late 80s)
Ravenous (1999, Antonia Bird) (cannibal horror-drama with Robert Carlyle and Guy Pearce)
Innocence (2004, Lucile Hadzihalilovic) (it's powerful and memorable in its own weird, creepy way and looks impressive)

What genre hasn't been done yet? Is there one? What about cult films?
Doesn't have to be a genre, this isn't just something that isn't a decade or all-time one. We haven't done Comedy, we haven't done a proper Horror one either but there was one years ago with a small amount of participants.

I've only seen Water Lilies from Sciamma and that was a bit odd so I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

As for other films, I would suggest:

In Between (2016, Maysaloun Hamoud) (because you rated Mustang)
Monsoon Wedding (2001, Mira Nair) (British/Indian drama that doesn't get much love recently)
Paris Is Burning (1990, Jennie Livingstone) (documentary about the New York drag scene in the late 80s)
Ravenous (1999, Antonia Bird) (cannibal horror-drama with Robert Carlyle and Guy Pearce)
Innocence (2004, Lucile Hadzihalilovic) (it's powerful and memorable in its own weird, creepy way and looks impressive)
Thanks those all looks interesting. I had no idea Ravenous was directed by a woman have heard good things about it. Paris is Burning too.

Doesn't have to be a genre, this isn't just something that isn't a decade or all-time one. We haven't done Comedy, we haven't done a proper Horror one either but there was one years ago with a small amount of participants.

Thanks those all looks interesting. I had no idea Ravenous was directed by a woman have heard good things about it. Paris is Burning too.
Comedy and Horror would be great before an all time. Not sure a 30s list would be very inclusive to the forum as a whole, realistically what % of the users can put together a top 25 from the 30s?

Comedy and Horror would be great before an all time. Not sure a 30s list would be very inclusive to the forum as a whole, realistically what % of the users can put together a top 25 from the 30s?
We've done every other decade and we already have the host for that sorted; Citizen Rules. The 30's Countdown won't be starting for at least another 6 months so you have plenty of time to watch some 30's films and come up with a list if you want. A fair amount of users will be able to come up with one for the record. 57 sent one for the 40's Countdown.

Thanks those all looks interesting. I had no idea Ravenous was directed by a woman have heard good things about it.
Ravenous is great. Used to be a favorite to show friends. The soundtrack is still in my top 5 too.

Going to watch Paris Is Burning and Ravenous, might try and get to one or two of the other three you suggested then i'll probably just send my list as i already have one i'm happy with.

I was thinking about sending my list sooner rather than later, but keep thinking there might be something great I've missed.

If anyone has any must-see recs, let me know! Camo?

Yeah, I would really appreciate a list of recs, maybe even in tiers or condensed or something, that I can try to shotgun before the deadline, since I'm just now back on my feet post-Oscars.

I was thinking about sending my list sooner rather than later, but keep thinking there might be something great I've missed.

If anyone has any must-see recs, let me know! Camo?
Went through your Letterboxd list i could see you maybe liking some of these.

Pariah: From Dee Rees Mudbound, Selma and 13TH director (would also suggest 13TH if you are interested in an infuriating documentary). It's a very personal lesbian/coming of age film for the director that really got to me.
American Honey: Obviously you're aware of this. You should check it out if you like the other Arnolds you've seen, although it's not exactly like them and understood if the length is turning you off.
Wendy and Lucy: Looks like you hated Meek's Cutoff, i'd honestly be shocked if you hated this though. It's a very sad little woman and her dog film, Williams is incredible.
Elaine May: I'd suggest checking out at least one of her films as she is amazing. My personal favourite is A New Leaf but Mikey & Nicky seems to be the favourite around here. I don't think you could go wrong unless it's Ishtar which i haven't watched yet.
Lore: I didn't love this but it's the one i could see you liking most from what i know of your taste. It's a coming of age/journey film set in Germany 1945.

The Breadwinner, The Selfish Giant, The Headless Woman and La Cienaga are all worth a look too in case you don't think any of those sound that interesting.

Yeah, I would really appreciate a list of recs, maybe even in tiers or condensed or something, that I can try to shotgun before the deadline, since I'm just now back on my feet post-Oscars.
That post was specifically for Thursday as i think i know her taste a bit plus she has a list on Letterboxd of all the ones she has seen. Could try and suggest a few for you, there's also this thread:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=52475

Some of it is just lists but some people explained their recs and there might be some that catch your eye there.

Went through your Letterboxd list i could see you maybe liking some of these.

Pariah: From Dee Rees Mudbound, Selma and 13TH director (would also suggest 13TH if you are interested in an infuriating documentary). It's a very personal lesbian/coming of age film for the director that really got to me.
American Honey: Obviously you're aware of this. You should check it out if you like the other Arnolds you've seen, although it's not exactly like them and understood if the length is turning you off.
Wendy and Lucy: Looks like you hated Meek's Cutoff, i'd honestly be shocked if you hated this though. It's a very sad little woman and her dog film, Williams is incredible.
Elaine May: I'd suggest checking out at least one of her films as she is amazing. My personal favourite is A New Leaf but Mikey & Nicky seems to be the favourite around here. I don't think you could go wrong unless it's Ishtar which i haven't watched yet.
Lore: I didn't love this but it's the one i could see you liking most from what i know of your taste. It's a coming of age/journey film set in Germany 1945.

The Breadwinner, The Selfish Giant, The Headless Woman and La Cienaga are all worth a look too in case you don't think any of those sound that interesting.
Thanks Camo.

I have wanted to see Pariah since I first heard about it but haven't been able to get hold of it.

I had been put off by the length of American Honey but I'll make sure I get to it.

I didn't exactly hate Meek's Cutoff but it just wasn't very good

I have seen Mikey and Nicky but not heard of the others so I'll check them out.

Thanks Camo.

I have wanted to see Pariah since I first heard about it but haven't been able to get hold of it.

I had been put off by the length of American Honey but I'll make sure I get to it.

I didn't exactly hate Meek's Cutoff but it just wasn't very good

I have seen Mikey and Nicky but not heard of the others so I'll check them out.
Awesome PM me if you need help finding Pariah, understood if you don't want to watch it online though.

Just finished Paris Is Burning btw, it was fabulous and also so sad . Great film.

About 2 weeks left until the deadline:
Make a list of 25 of the best and/or your favourite films and send them to Iroquois by 11:59 p.m. AEST on March 31st.
I sent my list in. I had to cut movies but I think it's a decent list

If you still have more Directed by Women films to watch, take a look at an under appreciated woman director, Penny Marshall. Her movies might be fairly well known, but IMO she deserves a lot of credit for the way she puts her films together.