Golden Globe Nominees, 2024, FILM

Tools    

In case you missed it, here are the nominees in the feature film categories for this year's Golden Globe Awards...

BEST PICTURE - DRAMA
Anatomy of a Fall
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
The Zone of Interest

BEST PICTURE - COMEDY/MUSICAL
AIR
American Fiction
Barbie
The Holdovers
May December
Poor Things

BEST DIRECTOR
Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Greta Gerwig, Barbie
Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Celine Song, Past Lives

BEST ACTOR - DRAMA
Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
Colman Domingo, Rustin
Barry Keoghan, Saltburn
Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Andrew Scott, All of Us Strangers

BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA
Annette Bening, Nyad
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
Greta Lee, Past Lives
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
Cailee Spaeny, Priscilla

BEST ACTOR - COMEDY/MUSICAL
Nicolas Cage, Dream Scenario
Timothée Chalamet, Wonka
Matt Damon, AIR
Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Joaquin Phoenix, Beau is Afraid
Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction

BEST ACTRESS - COMEDY/MUSICAL
Fantasia Barrino, The Color Purple
Jennifer Lawrence, No Hard Feelings
Natalie Portman, May December
Alma Pöysti, Fallen Leaves
Margot Robbie, Barbie
Emma Stone, Poor Things

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Willem Dafoe, Poor Things
Robert DeNiro, Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling, Barbie
Charles Melton, May December
Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
Jodie Foster, Nyad
Julianne Moore, May December
Rosamund Pike, Saltburn
Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

BEST SCREENPLAY
Anatomy of a Fall
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Poor Things

BEST PICTURE - NON-ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Anatomy of a Fall
Fallen Leaves
Io Capitano
Past Lives
Society of the Snow
The Zone of Interest

BEST PICTURE - ANIMATED
The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Suzume
Wish

CINEMATIC & BOX OFFICE ACHIEVEMENT
Barbie
Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Oppenheimer
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
The Boy and the Heron
Oppenheimer
Poor Things
The Zone of Interest

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Addicted to Romance", She Came to Me
Bruce Springsteen & Patti Scialfa
"Dance the Night", Barbie
Caroline Ailin, Dua Lipa, Mark Ronson, and Andrew Wyatt
"I'm Just Ken", Barbie
Mark Ronson & Andrew Wyatt
"Peaches", The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Jack Black, Aaron Horvath, Michael Jelenic, Eric Osmond, and John Spiker
"Road to Freedom", Rustin
Lenny Kravitz
"What Was I Made For", Barbie
Billie Eilish & Finneas O'Connell
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I predict Oppenheimer will win best drama, Christopher Nolan will win director and Poor Things will win best comedy. I don't think Air and Barbie deserved to be nominated for best comedy.

Some good [films] there, some obvious backslapping.
I've seen 'May, December'. I did not think it was a comedy.
The Golden Globes has a long history of arbitrary or downright dumb categorizing when it comes to drama vs. comedy/musical. Just add May December to the ever-growing list.

There have been cries from some (certainly not me) to add some kind of category that rewards box office, because, you know, making billions of dollars isn't enough of a reward. The Globes are trying this for the first time...

Barbie
Oppenheimer

Obviously this isn't just a horse race of which film made the most money, because you wouldn't need to vote on that, you'd just crown the winner. So far both domestically and internationally the top movie is Barbie. But is Oppenheimer's total for a drama not based on an existing licensed property the more impressive feat? Or is it that Taylor Swift's fanbase has perpetually deep pockets (or at least their parents do)?

I can't say as I care at all who "wins", no matter how this "achievement" is framed.

There have been cries from some (certainly not me) to add some kind of category that rewards box office, because, you know, making billions of dollars isn't enough of a reward. The Globes are trying this for the first time...

Barbie
Oppenheimer

Obviously this isn't just a horse race of which film made the most money, because you wouldn't need to vote on that, you'd just crown the winner. So far both domestically and internationally the top movie is Barbie. But is Oppenheimer's total for a drama not based on an existing licensed property the more impressive feat? Or is it that Taylor Swift's fanbase has perpetually deep pockets (or at least their parents do)?

I can't say as I care at all who "wins", no matter how this "achievement" is framed.
If this isn't a joke, it's repulsive.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The only thing about this list that caught me a little off-guard is Jennifer Lawrence being nominated for No Hard Feelings.

Some good filsm there, some obvious backslapping.

I've seen 'May, December'. I did not think it was a comedy.

I just watched May December and agree that it is not a comedy.

An award for box office?

As if that teat hasn't been sucked on enough.

It's almost like they want to slowly drown out the idea of heralding artistic accomplishment by always bringing it back to the bottom line. As if those who win awards of merit aren't already mostly being chosen from films that pull bank. As if it isn't all a big box office dick suck anyways.

Maybe they should also start giving out awards for films that people ate the most popcorn during, or what the most shameless sequels were, or what movies were short enough to save parents babysitting money, or actors who are slumming for a paycheck (oh, Jennifer Lawrence got nominated for that piece of shit she was in, nevermind). You know, these things we look to artists to enlighten us with.

With a culture this ****ing uninspired is there any reason to doubt why no one cares about anything anymore? Why we turn to politics for entertainment? Why everyone is so ****ing dull and no one can be bothered to inform themselves about anything?

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that golden Globe nominations are yet another sign of the end of everything. The most pathetic end of the world ever

An award for box office?

As if that teat hasn't been sucked on enough.

It's almost like they want to slowly drown out the idea of heralding artistic accomplishment by always bringing it back to the bottom line. As if those who win awards of merit aren't already mostly being chosen from films that pull bank. As if it isn't all a big box office dick suck anyways.

Maybe they should also start giving out awards for films that people ate the most popcorn during, or what the most shameless sequels were, or what movies were short enough to save parents babysitting money, or actors who are slumming for a paycheck (oh, Jennifer Lawrence got nominated for that piece of shit she was in, nevermind). You know, these things we look to artists to enlighten us with.

With a culture this ****ing uninspired is there any reason to doubt why no one cares about anything anymore? Why we turn to politics for entertainment? Why everyone is so ****ing dull and no one can be bothered to inform themselves about anything?

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that golden Globe nominations are yet another sign of the end of everything. The most pathetic end of the world ever
Please volunteer to host the ceremony and use this as your opening speech. Nobody seems to want to do it, so it could happen.

But anyway, I wish Glenn Howerton had slipped in as a best supporting nom for BlackBerry.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Jennifer Lawrence for No Hard Feelings? Seriously?
I haven't seen the film. However, from what I can tell it looks like an R-rated comedy in a similar vein as, like, American Pie. Imagine the Stiffmeister getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Again, maybe I'm wrong (and if someone wants to come to the film's defense, I'm interested in hearing what they thought), but I imagine this has more to do with "Jennifer Lawrence" than the film itself.

I saw No Hard Feelings in the theater and enjoyed it. It is more of a dramady than one might suspect from the premise and red-band trailer. I am not suggesting it is one of her very best turns, but she is very funny in it, it has more shading of the character than one might assume, and it is the frippin' comedy category. Comic performances tend to be less appreciated than dramatic ones anyway, and now you are giving her heat for a comic performance in the comedy category?

But as you were.

I haven't seen the film. However, from what I can tell it looks like an R-rated comedy in a similar vein as, like, American Pie. Imagine the Stiffmeister getting a nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Again, maybe I'm wrong (and if someone wants to come to the film's defense, I'm interested in hearing what they thought), but I imagine this has more to do with "Jennifer Lawrence" than the film itself.
I think she deserved the nomination. It’s a fun and enjoyable performance and she has a funny and memorable nude scene.

I've always been interested in what my IQ is, but I didn't want to go through the trouble or spend the money

I've always been interested in what my IQ is, but I didn't want to go through the trouble or spend the money
Excellent point.

I sure hope you quickly make nine other random posts so you can give us a live link to something nobody asked for and goes against the forum rules! I haven't reported a post in like two days!

The 81st Annual Golden Globe Awards are this Sunday, January 7th, starting at 8:00pm EST, broadcast from Los Angeles on CBS (it had been on NBC since 1996). Comedian Jo Koy is the host.

Tonight is the night!

My predictions:
Best Drama: Oppenheimer
Best Comedy/Musical: Poor Things
Best Director: Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Best Actor - Drama: Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Best Actress - Drama: Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Best Actor - Comedy/Musical: Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Best Actress - Comedy/Musical: Emma Stone, Poor Things
Best Supporting Actor: Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
Best Supporting Actress: Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers
Best Screenplay: Poor Things
Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Best Foreign Language Film: Past Lives
Best Original Score: Oppenheimer
Best Original Song: "I'm Just Ken" - Barbie
Best Popular Film: Barbie

The only thing I feel oddly passionate about here is "I'm Just Ken" as best original song. That song----and the accompanying dream ballet---were real spirit lifters this summer and fall.

I also love Danielle Brooks in The Color Purple, but I haven't seen enough of the other nominees to have an opinion one way or the other.