Oscar's Best Picture 2024

Tools    

Which will be the Academy's next Best Picture?
0%
0 votes
American Fiction
0%
0 votes
Anatomy of a Fall
0%
0 votes
Barbie
16.67%
4 votes
The Holdovers
12.50%
3 votes
Killers of the Flower Moon
0%
0 votes
Maestro
62.50%
15 votes
Oppenheimer
0%
0 votes
Past Lives
4.17%
1 votes
Poor Things
4.17%
1 votes
The Zone of Interest
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

A system of cells interlinked
For the record, I have heard of all 10 films on ScarletLion's list, and I am the epitome of the average film fan - just ask Minio!

I have only seen 6 of them, but I have heard of the other 4. *Shrugs*

Anyway, I think this was an above average year for BP noms. Not that the average has been great, especially over the past few years, but at least half of the noms were strong this year. To be fair, I still have a few to see...

2001 is great. Citizen Kane is a tad bit overrated. I've never seen any of the other films in that list.

I guess I'm not that sophisticated
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

For the record, I have heard of all 10 films on ScarletLion's list
They're really not that obscure in the slightest. Some of the most well known films of all time in my opinion.

Anyway, apologies for taking this thread off track. The best picture nominees included some brilliant films (Zone of Interest, Anatomy of a Fall etc) but in my opinion Oppenheimer isn't partucularly good (Tom Conte as Einstein - pleeeeaaaseee) and The Holdovers is a fairly nice, middle of the road feelgood Christmas film but will be nowhere near spoken aboiut as one of the great films of this time period.

A system of cells interlinked
Anyway, apologies for taking this thread off track. The best picture nominees included some brilliant films (Zone of Interest, Anatomy of a Fall etc) but in my opinion Oppenheimer isn't partucularly good (Tom Conte as Einstein - pleeeeaaaseee) and The Holdovers is a fairly nice, middle of the road feelgood Christmas film but will be nowhere near spoken aboiut as one of the great films of this time period.
Yes, hence my caveat about the average being low recently. I still need to see Anatomy of a Fall, as well. Lots of people on the site also seem to be over the moon for Poor Things, but like most of Lanthimos' films, I was ambivalent about it. That said, I also really enjoyed Killers of the Flower Moon.

Your list includes movies that I've never heard of, and that very few people have seen or heard of too.
You seem like the "sophisticated" type. And only "sophisticated" people use words like "hyperbole".

I'm taking friendly jabs at you, that's all.
It was one of my very favorites of the year as well if it's any consolation. I really got something out of seeing these lonely souls comisserate and find a common bond over their too unsuccessful fight against an unjust system that rewards privilege over effort. You've also got all the special seasonings like that old-timey production logo and look and feel that places you right in the '70s, some of the year's best performances, how funny it is, etc. It was also just nice to not only get a movie like this in this day and age where it seems like such material can only be found on TV, but also that it treats its audiences like an adult. That's all a bit of an unfocused rant, but in short, I see ya, bro!

I disagree. The Holdovers is an endearing film that people will still be talking about for many years to come.

Yes, hence my caveat about the average being low recently. I still need to see Anatomy of a Fall, as well. Lots of people on the site also seem to be over the moon for Poor Things, but like most of Lanthimos' films, I was ambivalent about it. That said, I also really enjoyed Killers of the Flower Moon.
Yeah Poor Things doesn't make a Lanthimos Top 3 in my opinion, but hey ho.