Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Paris, Je T'aime (numerous directors, 2006)

First off, I feel a little bit mean (say what?) not rating this at least
. When I first watched it, I thought there wasn't that much of a quality differential to the stories, so it seemed like a fair rating, but having rewatched it, taking notes, and rating each episode individually, I'm going to stick with my lower rating. However contradictory this sounds, I still recommend the film for viewing for the better episodes, but I'm just warning you that there will be some which leave you cold, and they're probably not the same ones that I thought were of lesser quality.

Paris, Je T'aime is a "collective film", consisting of 18 self-contained episodes, all set in the City of Light and Love, and all filmed by different directors. Most all of the episodes are five to six minutes long; some try to tell a story, while others are just slices of life. One other thing they all have in common is that the directors each had two days to shoot their entire episode. I don't think that any of the films are downright horrible, but I find some far more interesting and entertaining than others. The episodes are separated by some scenes of the dailly and night life of Paris, but basically, they all flow one into the other with only a quick title and director listed to show you where each one begins.

The episodes which meant the most to me included the Coen Brothers' humorous tale of vacationer Steve Buscemi whose happiness is destroyed when he makes eye contact with a lovemaking couple, even though his travel guide highly recommends against it; Alexander Payne's wonderful finale about an American female postal worker (Margo Martindale) who narrates her own story in the best French she can muster (it contains the biggest laugh and the most-poignant moment for me); the first two episodes, which both show how a male with no positive experiences with the opposite sex can actually relate to a female by simply caring enough to help them when they need it; Tom Tykwer's wildly-stylistic tale of the love affair between an actress (Natalie Portman) and a blind man (Melchior Belsion); and, perhaps against my better judgment, I actually found the tale of the mimes meeting each other in jail and finding true love to be one of the more creative parts of the film.

There are many other actors/directors I haven't mentioned, and some do worthwhile work. Among those would be Nick Nolte, Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Juliette Binoche, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Miranda Richardson, Willem Dafoe, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Gérard Depardieu, Alfonso Cuarón, Walter Salles, Gus Van Sant, Olivier Assayas, Wes Craven, etc. This film is far superior to a similar film made about 20 years ago called Aria, which I might just put into my 10 Worst Art House Films list. This one is a pretty good omnibus film, considering the constraints under which it was made. That's the main reason I think it's worth checking out, especially if you love Paris.

Paris, Je T'aime (numerous directors, 2006)
The episodes which meant the most to me included the Coen Brothers' humorous tale of vacationer Steve Buscemi whose happiness is destroyed when he makes eye contact with a lovemaking couple, even though his travel guide highly recommends against it; Alexander Payne's wonderful finale about an American female postal worker (Margo Martindale) who narrates her own story in the best French she can muster (it contains the biggest laugh and the most-poignant moment for me); the first two episodes, which both show how a male with no positive experiences with the opposite sex can actually relate to a female by simply caring enough to help them when they need it; Tom Tykwer's wildly-stylistic tale of the love affair between an actress (Natalie Portman) and a blind man (Melchior Belsion); and, perhaps against my better judgment, I actually found the tale of the mimes meeting each other in jail and finding true love to be one of the more creative parts of the film.
I liked those the most too.

Le Dîner Du Con

Another French movie (we seem to be following a similar theme) about a group of men led by Pierre Brochant (Thierry Lhermitte), who have a dinner each week where they must each bring an "idiot", or the dumbest person they can find.
The movie is set mainly in Brochant's apartment, where he and his "idiot" are located. After hurting his back, and not being able to make it to this weekly dinner, the idiot, François Pignon (Jacques Villeret) helps Brochant onto his sofa, and as a consequence, much "hilarity" enuses.

The movie does have some funny parts, but by the end, I just ended up hating Pignon, because he really is an idiot - and he does things that just make you want to tear your hair out and throw things at whatever screen you're watching this movie on.

I would recommend it to anyone with a high level of patience, because if you don't have patience, you'll more than likely crack the TV screen with the remote about halfway through.

The Saddest Music in the World

The 3 Ninjas

The Holiday

I've only seen the Coen Bros. segment of Paris, Je'Taime, and would give that a

Elizabeth

I really loved the first one when I first saw it several years ago and I still do. I think it's the first time I really took notice of Cate Blanchet and I've been a pretty big fan ever since.

Elizabeth 2 The Golden Age

I didn't hate it, I just didn't really like it very much, chalk this one up to the "Why bother make it in the first place?" camp for me. It had a few elements from the first film but not enough to really capture my interest.

I am half agony, half hope.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Typing this title took almost as long as the movie!

Robert Ford is awestruck by James and tries to ingratiate himself into his gang. He gets rebuffed, and builds a deep resentment toward James. He eventually has an opportunity to take James down. The movie covers the last few months of James' life.

There was beautiful cinematography, with atmospheric lighting and gorgeous vistas, and fine supporting acting, especially by Rockwell and Affleck, but the movie had some flaws. One of them was the development of very minor characters. It threw off the pace of the film, and I wonder what the point was. Another problem for me was the length. Finally, Brad Pitt didn't seem all that invested in his character. He's been better.

Johann von Goethe

The Frighteners

Started watching Cabin in the Sky, and since I didn't make it more than 20 minutes in I won't pretend to have a handle on what grade it deserves, but I would have to be pretty entertainment-starved to finish that film.

Quills

Five Easy Pieces:
I went into this wanting to love this,But it felt a little flat to me. Apart from Jack Nicholson and Karen Black's performances not much stands out.

The storyline is interesting and the dialogue is good, But for some reason I can't bring myself to love this film like I wanted to when I first sat down to watch it.

Nicholson is brilliant in it though and Karen Black plays white trash really well. There performances defiantly hold up the movie completely though.

Overall, it was a good film. But, for some reason I didn't like it as much as I wanted to.

Little Big Man:

A classic portrayal of one man's life among the Indians and among the common man during the civil war. It is a very interesting tale and the film is defiantly one that strives for an epic feeling.

Dustin Hoffman is really good in this. He plays his role very convincingly and it is just interesting to see him go through different periods of his life and he plays them all well.

However, Chief Dan George steals this movie with his performance of Hoffman's Indian grandfather. He just gives off that sage Indian vibe so well and the way he speaks seems so natural(Assuming that it's probably due to his knowledge of Indian culture).

The plot is filled with neat encounters with historical figures and although it botches history to a degree it manages to be very entertaining. It gives off the epic vibe with the way the plot is multilayered and things come together at the end. However I find that the box is a bit too tied up at the end and perhaps there are too many coincidences(Like who Faye Dunaway's character
winds up with in the end for example.) and that I feel takes a bit away from it.

Overall,it is a very good film. Not epic like it strives to be, But definatly worth a second viewing somewhere down the line.

Apocalypse Now:

I went into this dreading the length, But by the time it was over it far exceeded my expectations so I didn't mind.

First off, the cast is an amazing ensemble of people. From legends like Brando to stars of the time like Sheen and Duvall it is clear to see that we have an amazing cast.

Brando is amazing here for the little time he is given and really puts across the mentally scared army soldier role well. He social quips and thoughts on life are very interesting and to here that this was mostly improvised is very impressive.

Duvall also delivers a great crazy man performance here as Killgore.He just makes every scene he's in and I honestly wish he could be in more of the picture.

Everyone else also work solid and really portray the feeling of what war can do to men. There are just so many scene's in this movie where the portrayal of man's blemished soul is very startling and chilling.

Secondly,the direction and cinematography are top notch. Coppola really brings out the best in these actors(It's a shame everything he did after this sucked though.) and Storaro frames the movie perfectly. Also the locals are quite amazing to look at and some of the scene's are just captivating(The scene where Sheen's head is coming up from the water is just an incredible moment in the film.).

Thirdly,the score is well put together and the choices for the songs couldn't be better. The opening with The End playing as the jungle blows up is just perfect and from that moment on the film had me.

Overall, This was a great movie. It just has so many layers and I think it requires a few viewings just to get to everything that is underlined in the plot. Amazing film.

Mulberry St.

An After Dark horrorfest movie, pretty decent zombie flick.

Dragon Wars

If this were on Sci-fi channel I'd be saying: "Wow this is pretty good for the Sci-fi channel!", since we watched it on DVD and no commercials, it made it slightly better.

Daywatch

I don't really know anything about this Russian fella that put both Nightwatch and Daywatch out but they sure are cool. I wish more countries would try this. Daywatch was much better looking than Nightwatch, he obviously found a little more funding, the story was still a bit confusing but it all worked itself out in the end. If this is the types of films this guy is always going to make I'm in.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Other Boleyn Girl 3/5

Alright, I suppose, but nothing special. One problem is that everyone knows the story of Henry VIII marrying and beheading Anne Boleyn, and although there was kind of a different take on it here with the film focusing more on Anne's sister, Mary, it wasn't quite different enough. Besides, the politics of the whole situation, a major event in the history of England and the Church, the breaking with Rome and the founding of the Church of England was skimmed over in favour of a bit of sibling rivalry between the King's two mistresses. And Anne is so awful to her sister and Mary such a doormat it is difficult to feel much sympathy with what happens later on.

This is adapted from a book which I haven't read (but might look out for, now), I get the impression that quite a bit was cut from the book, as some characters who play important roles get little screen time. The acting is mediocre, and Portman is not very well cast, although the Boleyn parents are quite good, as is the scheming uncle, the Duke of Norfolk. Oddly, the film suffers in comparison to the recent tv series 'The Tudors', which although sexed up and historically dubious, at least developed the characters and their ambitions more, and showed more of the political game playing at court and across the world stage.

The Virgin Spring.

My gosh this film was excellent. This is the first film I can recall seeing that didn't have a soundtrack and it was the better for it, I think.
WARNING: "how Bergman posed the shots of Karin's attack" spoilers below
I really liked how Bergman posed the shots of Karin's attack and the dad's attack with the same shots.
It was haunting.

Shouldn't this film be on a list here somewhere?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Paris, Je T'aime
cool review... i really liked the film [on the whole], my favorite stories were probably Paynes, and the second one--i forget the directors name, its the one with the boys who are taunting girls walking by, and the third one strikes up a conversation with the Muslim girl.

edit - i looked it up, its a husband and wife team, Paul Mayeda Berges and Indian-British director Gurinder Chadha.

there's a frog in my snake oil
The Prestige - Lots to like (and Bale & Bowie can be forgiven any number of silly accents ). Mainly hits the mark with its tumultuous 'turn of the century' personality clash between two competing stage magicians. Nice approach to the interplay of technical trickery and dramatisation too, for the most part. Which is why it's such a shame that one strand of the 'prestigious' final act felt like it belonged in another film, and didn't illuminate all the other factors as well as some other tacks might have done...

WARNING: "The Final Act" spoilers below
The sudden emergence of a sci-fi/horror 'get out clause' really squandered the story's potential for me. As the famous Arthur C Clarke quote goes: suitably advanced science should be indistinguishable from magic. Having shown Jackman's character to already to be in the sway of Tesla's renown and skills, and having conjured the historical ambience so well, it's a shame Nolan and Co couldn't have broken from the book, and had us marvelling at something both 'magical' and 'true'. The tricks of science, art and the natural world can inspire far more lasting wonder in an audience than a 'CGI dove from a hat' ever could, if you ask me

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Very good film, but heartbreaking. It chronicles the start of the IRA during the wars of independence, and eventual split amongst them. The acting was strong, and the history accurate. Interestingly, a sympathetic view of the IRA by a British director.

Broken English

Parker Posey did a great job in this. Her desperation was palpable. Melvil Poupaud was a charming and relaxed foil for Posey's angst.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
No Country for Old Men - Liked it, didn't love it, but I feel like I should have done, since it was such a huge, critically acclaimed film. It just sort of sat there for me, even though I did think that the killer was an awesome character.