Movie Tab II

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Compared to messes like Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Tommy (sorry, Lennon), and Pink Floyd: The Wall,
Oh no, you brought up Tommy, just kidding

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Other recent viewings:

An Unmarried Woman (Paul Mazursky, 1978)

Mannequin (Frank Borzage, 1937)
+
3:10 to Yuma (Delmer Daves, 1957)

A Thousand Clowns (Fred Coe, 1965)

Mischief (Stan Dragoti, 1985)

From Mischief:
"Girls don't have nuts, so they're fascinated by them" - Chris Nash (Gene)

"Who's he, the town *******? (Gene)
"Yeah, and he's really good at it, too." - Doug McKeon (Jonathan)

Mischief (Stan Dragoti, 1985)

From Mischief:
"Girls don't have nuts, so they're fascinated by them" - Chris Nash (Gene)

"Who's he, the town *******? (Gene)
"Yeah, and he's really good at it, too." - Doug McKeon (Jonathan)
I just watched this one, as well. It was great. It brought back a lot of memories. None that I should post about, though.

Put me in your pocket...
Duel in the Sun (1946)
I can't believed I got sucked into this but I did. Stereotypes abound in good vs evil story between two brothers and a control freak pa. It was hard for me to believe Gregoey Peck as the bad boy lusty man stud he was suppose to be. The romance was completely ridicuous. The idea of a woman who has to fight off a man who forces himself on her (a man who, it's been established, that she hates)...and not only can't she help but succumb to his manliness, but becomes just as lusty toward him....and continues to go after him even after he treats her like dirt. And the ending! Oh dear lord. At least I made my husband laugh the next day while trying to re-tell and re-enact it for him.

The Lady Eve

I liked this film mainly due to the excellent performances of the two leads. Henry Fonda as the dim-witted millionaire, and Barbara Stanwyck as the con-woman out to get him as two different identities. It's got a great little supporting cast too - I especially loved Eugene Pallette as Horace Pike, Fonda's grumpy old dad. I'm glad I've finally gotten around to watching it.

Duel in the Sun (1946)
I can't believed I got sucked into this but I did. Stereotypes abound in good vs evil story between two brothers and a control freak pa. It was hard for me to believe Gregoey Peck as the bad boy lusty man stud he was suppose to be. The romance was completely ridicuous. The idea of a woman who has to fight off a man who forces himself on her (a man who, it's been established, that she hates)...and not only can't she help but succumb to his manliness, but becomes just as lusty toward him....and continues to go after him even after he treats her like dirt. And the ending! Oh dear lord. At least I made my husband laugh the next day while trying to re-tell and re-enact it for him.
Now you know why it was called Lust in the Dust.

Rear Window(Second Viewing)

This is simply an amazing film and shows why Hitchcock had very few rivals in film making. Especially when you consider that most of the movie takes place in one room and you hardly ever realize it. It just draws you in.

James Stewart does a great job playing a man who has voyeuristic quality's and has relationship issues. He is very convincing here and probably has the best performance in the film.

Grace Kelly is stunning here and does well here as Stewart's girlfriend. But,her character at times feels a little bit simple. But, perhaps that's the point.

The people in the apartments also provide good performances and I really like the way that all their story's intertwine and you feel that you know them at the end. I feel that the other people across the street were also a very important part of making us feel like we are seeing everything that Stewart is.

Overall,one of my favorite Hitchcock films(Not my favorite though,That would have to be Strangers On A Train.)and a very solid look at life through one's window.

The Big Chill

This is a very enjoyable movie, But not something that you go away from amazed. There are a lot of good scene's and the actor's play their roles well, But every time I watch this it feels like it's missing something. I just can't put my finger on it though.

The performances are solid, But no one really stands out here. They all seem to be at the same "good,But not great" level. While they fit well together, I can't remember ever thinking that anyone stole the show.

The film work is average. No scene's really catch your eyes and the locations,while nice, are quite bland.Aside from the opening scene where they dress up Alex's body I can't think of any good scene composition. A very average looking film.

On the positive side, The story is quite interesting and the way that these people look back on their past offers a good rendition of "The past always looks brighter" idea. Also,there are quite a few laugh worthy moments.

Overall, a decent film and an enjoyable one,But it never kicked it up a notch to resemble anything great.

Save The Tiger

Lemmon's Oscar winning performance in a really slow moving film. Lemmon was great here,But I have a feeling that this was one of those "We liked your career and we've snubbed you so many times. so here's an Oscar" deals. Lemmon's been better and the plot didn't really engage me at all.

Manhattan

A lot of people call this Allen's best film. A lot of people haven't seen enough of Woody Allen's films.

This is a pretty good film and basically Woody's tribute to New York,But it drags quite a bit for me(I've tried watching this twice in the past few days and I've fallen asleep both times.). The performances are fine, But it suffers from a lack of good pacing. This movie should have either been ten minutes longer or ten minutes shorter. Either extending the plot or lessening some aspects would have help quite a bit.

Allen's fine in this,But after a while you kind of get sick of seeing him play the same character in every one of his films. I know he's basically playing himself, But I prefer it when he mixes it up slightly. There is almost nothing different in this character than Alvy Singer(They are both successful in the entertainment industry,They both had multiple wives,etc.)and Anne Hall's a way better movie.

Overall, the black and white is nice and a lot of the establishing shots of the city are very pretty,But the story fails to captivate me every time.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
jumper - this film was way too eager to get to the finish line just so it could make a sequel. poor Diane Lane's cameo was way too brief

Welcome to the human race...
Taxi Driver -

EDIT

This Is England -

A system of cells interlinked
Damn, I have been forgetting to hit the movie tab! The horror!

Meanwhile:

Little Miss Sunshine - My third time seeing it. I like it more each time I watch. Great stuff.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - Surprisingly, I actually liked this the second time, after being terribly disappointed in it the first. One of those reasonably amusing time killer "2 star classics." lol.

The Goodbye Girl:

A quirky movie. Dreyfuss is very funny here,But besides that this is tacky sentimental crap(Don't get me wrong I don't mind a good romance movie once in a while,But it has to be done well and capable of making me believe it. Their relationship here had no semblance of anything solid and it felt so rushed.) and a horrid attempt at a meaningful love story. The ending didn't reflect the beginning and sort of just fell into place out of nowhere. It just felt forced to me.

That's too bad. What do you think is a funny, quirky, sentimental crap-type movie which you DO recommend?

My daughter watched it tonight on TCM too, but she's already seen it and the TV remake.

I don't recommend any crap type films.But as for funny,quirky,and sentimental I'd defiantly recommend When Harry Met Sally or Anne Hall(although the ending isn't sentimental, It is still a very sentimental film about a relationship.).They both capture the feel of a natural relationship far better than The Goodbye Girl, But that's just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

I wasn't expecting much because I thought I'd seen quite enough of court room dramas focused on the jury. Turns out to be a great movie after all. Just a great script and stupendous acting.

Project A II:

Okay, a movie with a barely passable plot and not all that well put together in terms of having the action scenes seamlessly build to a crescendo as the best of these movies do, but the individual stunts, and the way they use the sets, and a couple of scenes are some of the best Jackie Chan did, so this is well worth seeing.