RIP Suzanne Somers

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Suzanne Somers passed away this morning, according to her longtime publicist, after her breast cancer came back a few months ago. Tomorrow would have been her 77th birthday.

OMG, I'm in shock here...to be perfectly honest, I was no big fan of Three's Company, I thought it was one of the silliest sitcoms ever produced, but I did find my self fascinated with all the behind the scenes turmoil stirred up when Somers left the show. I did really like Step by Step, the sitcom she did with Patrick Duffy though and I loved her small part in the ABC miniseries Hollywood Wives and in the movie Serial Mom. The woman had a very stormy experience in show business and my heart went out to her. I hope she's at peace.

Oh damn. And tomorrow is her birthday. I loved her in Three's Company. So sad.

R.I.P. Suzanne

I guess Joyce Dewitt is the last roommate (74 years old).

I was a huge fan of Three's Company when I was a teen and of course American Graffiti is one of my top, top films. So surprised to hear she's gone.

Yeah, it's weird. She lived an average lifespan. Even so, somehow it always comes as a shock to us. We're like children perpetually appalled and surprised by the reality of bedtime.

With every passing the zeitgeist shifts ever so slightly. It is the deletion of a cultural brain cell, one less repository of taste, history, values, etc. Despite our inventions of language and recorded sounds and images, we're basically an evergreen species. No human on the planet has the wisdom of anyone much more than 100 years old. We are, all of us, children. And this is why bedtime keeps catching us by surprise.

Alas, goodnight Suzanne.

Yeah, it's weird. She lived an average lifespan. Even so, somehow it always comes as a shock to us. We're like children perpetually appalled and surprised by the reality of bedtime.

With every passing the zeitgeist shifts ever so slightly. It is the deletion of a cultural brain cell, one less repository of taste, history, values, etc. Despite our inventions of language and recorded sounds and images, we're basically an evergreen species. No human on the planet has the wisdom of anyone much more than 100 years old. We are, all of us, children. And this is why bedtime keeps catching us by surprise.

Alas, goodnight Suzanne.
I think our shock when a celebrity dies has a lot to do with the status of celebrities.

When one of our own relatives die, maybe a few dozen people remember them (or maybe there are only handful still alive who remember them, or for some, they just die alone and unknown). But when a celebrity dies it's like a cultural shared association. Millions of people may not have known them personally, but they know who the person was and, on some level, that person may have touched millions of lives. And it may feel like millions of lives are interconnected by remembering in unison this one celebrity (like we do on this board).

Not that their status makes their death any more or less significant or important, but it effects the culture (if even briefly) for the many who remember them, remember their characters, remember their performances.

When one of our own relatives die, maybe a few dozen people remember them (or maybe there are only handful still alive who remember them, or for some, they just die alone and unknown). But when a celebrity dies it's like a cultural shared association.
I guess they call them "stars" for a reason. When they die, the shape of our night sky changes ever so slightly. And every generation has its favored constellations, right?

When we die, however, the world moves on at full speed, completely oblivious to the notion that we were ever there. Then again, unless a star dies young under compelling circumstances, the world doesn't slow down much for them, either. In this sense, mourning deceased celeb is a small rebellion against the great forgetting which awaits all of us in the fullness of time.

That sucks. Three's Company was awesome.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K.

I knew she struggled with cancer for a long time, so I can't say I'm really surprised but I am sad for her family and friends. I enjoyed her in whatever I saw her in, especially Three's Company. Her passing brings up a lot of good memories of the show. Godspeed, Suzanne!

Oh damn. And tomorrow is her birthday. I loved her in Three's Company. So sad.

R.I.P. Suzanne
Sad to hear this. She seems likeable and nice. My parents watched Threes Company when I was young and I saw many episodes.

I guess Joyce Dewitt is the last roommate (74 years old).
Techincally that is true if you mean the original trio, but don't forget, Suzanne was replaced by Jenilee Harrison (65 years old) who was in turn replaced by Priscilla Barnes (68 years old).

I used to also watch this with Suzanne back in the day.

Wasn't here first roll was being shot topless in a pool. In the film "Magnum Force"?
That would be her second role. The girl in the T-bird in American Graffiti was first as it was released in August 1973 where Mangum Force was released in December 1973.

American Graffiti was shot in June 1972 and Magnum Force began shooting April 1973. So this would make the pool scene her second film.