Skepsis' 100

→ in
Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Rep for Psycho,Pan's Labyrinth and American Crime. American Crime was so hard to watch and I thought Ellen Page was excellent, even though usually I don't like her too much.

I like Groundhog Day, but the rep really comes for Black Dynamite and Psycho. Psycho is on my 100 and Black Dynamite probably will be after a few more watches.

Hard Candy is a film I own but have yet to see, as is Pan's Labyrinth, but which I probably should watch, but every time I see that stupid monster in the pic, it puts me off. Still, at least you didn't use the still with the eyes in its hands.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Groundhog Day is a great film. I may not love it as much as I used to due to numerous viewings diluting it, but still great. One of the smartest and indeed darkest comedies Hollywood has produced in many a year.

Black Dynamite is hella fun (sorry for the use of hella, just caught the episode of South Park where Cartman constantly says it ) and Psycho is just terrific.

As I mentioned somewhere else recently (cinemaafficionado's thread I think) I'm in a little quandry over Pan's Labyrinth. Had been on my top 100 list (actually around the same place as you) but not sure if it would make it just now. Watched it a few months back and while I still thought it was excellent in terms of direction, effects, cinematography etc I didn't have as much of a connection with it as before.

Oh and not seen Hard Candy but got the DVD kicking about

Why is Lady Vengeance better than the other two films in the Vengeance Trilogy? I'm just assuming the others won't pop up beyond this point so if they do, forget me asking this.
I have to admit I still haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I like Oldboy ok but didn't really find it all that impressive beyond the hallway fight scene, and thought it lacked the emotional punch that Lady Vengeance delivered. It's been a while since I saw it so I wouldn't have been comfortable putting it on the list in any case.

I'm happy you like Hard Candy that much. Is there anything on that one you could clarify for choosing?
Sure. It's excruciating to watch in the best way possible, claustrophobic and relentless. Two superb performances. I love how it questions the morality of vigilantism through the character study of Hayley, she starts out sympathetic but by the end the film we realise it's not the simple hero/villain story we might have expected it to be. It's up to us to decide if it becomes a revenge fantasy or not.

American Crime was so hard to watch and I thought Ellen Page was excellent, even though usually I don't like her too much.
I don't think any film has effected me in the way that one did, emotionally, whether that's exclusively down to the film or the headspace I was in at the time I don't know, but I'm not sure I want to find out. I never want to see it again but it had too much of an impact to not include it somewhere.

Thanks again for coming back here time and again to comment and +rep, guys, it's much appreciated. More movies tomorrow.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I don't think any film has effected me in the way that one did, emotionally, whether that's exclusively down to the film or the headspace I was in at the time I don't know, but I'm not sure I want to find out. I never want to see it again but it had too much of an impact to not include it somewhere..
Yeah, I've only seen it once too for that same reason. I'll watch it again one day, but it's hard to gear yourself up to be that angry and upset. Knowing most of those events actually happened doesn't help much.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Great list so far, although slightly tarnished by a Harry Potter movie.

+rep for Groundhog Day

Psycho is pretty good, but I think it's a bit overrated. Rear Window was, imo, the best Hitchcock movie I've seen. Hard Candy and Black Dynamite I felt were both decent movies, but didn't stand out to me as being anything special. Haven't seen Pan's.

I remember watching Black Dynamite a few years back now when my friends were going on about it, was great fun and loads of laughs but I can't remember much of it now.

Psycho and Pan's Labyrinth are both excellent and two of my favourites, this is going to become a recurring comment I feel, but more awesome choices on this list

60. Network
Sidney Lumet, 1976
Peter Finch, William Holden & Faye Dunaway

"By tomorrow, he'll have a 50 share, maybe even a 60. Howard Beale is processed
instant God, and right now, it looks like he may just go over bigger than Mary Tyler Moore."

59. Bellflower
Evan Glodell, 2011
Evan Glodell, Tyler Dawson & Jessie Wiseman

"The master of fire, the king of the wasteland."

58. Pulp Fiction
Quentin Tarantino, 1994
John Travolta, Uma Thurman & Samuel L. Jackson

"So what does it feel like to kill a man with your bare hands? It's a topic I'm very interested in."

57. Almost Famous
Cameron Crowe, 2000
Patrick Fugit, Kate Hudson & Billy Crudup

"I'm telling secrets to the one guy you don't tell secrets to."

56. Tootsie
Sydney Pollack, 1982
Dustin Hoffman, Jessica Lange & Teri Garr

"I don't believe in hell. I believe in unemployment, but not hell."

If only I waited a couple of minutes and I would of included this in my last post, only seen one film from that set but I've repped it because it is Pulp Fiction which I absolutely love, don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say it'll be appearing much higher up on my list :P

And I want to see Network too seeing as it's one of the well regarded films of Lumet who from what I've seen so far I've been impressed with: 12 Angry Men and Dog Day Afternoon

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Pulp Fiction is the only one I absolutely love from that set. Coincidentally I actually just finished watching it about 5 minutes ago.

Tootsie and Almost Famous I enjoyed but didn't see either as being truly special for me personally. And not all that keen on Network; just felt too forced, overwrought and hammy to me.

Not seen Bellflower and don't really have a clue what it's actually about.

Who's going to believe a talking head?
I just can't begin to describe how prescient the movie Network is. A film that was relevant as it was back then as it is right now. Possibly my favorite Lumet.

I just can't begin to describe how prescient the movie Network is. A film that was relevant as it was back then as it is right now. Possibly my favorite Lumet.
Yup. And ridiculously well-written. Brilliant, scathing satire.

For those of you who haven't seen it (most of you, it seems), I urge you to take a look at Bellflower. Emotionally charged and relentlessly energetic, from a unique new voice. One of the best indies I've seen in a very, very long time.

I'm sure someone had it in their top ten, not sure who or if they're still around, though.

55. Taxi Driver
Martin Scorsese, 1976
Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster & Cybill Shepherd

"I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the f**kin' toilet."

54. 12 Angry Men
Sidney Lumet, 1957
Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb & Martin Balsam

"Ever since you walked into this room, you've been acting like a self-appointed public avenger!
You want to see this boy die because you personally want it, not because of the facts! You're a sadist!"

53. How to Train Your Dragon
Dean DeBlois & Chris Sanders, 2010
Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler & America Ferrera

"Everything we know about you guys is wrong."

52. La Jetée
Chris Marker, 1962
Étienne Becker, Jean Négroni & Hélène Chatelain

"They are without memories, without plans. Time builds itself painlessly around them.
Their only landmarks are the flavour of the moment they are living and the markings on the walls."

51. The Master
Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012
Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman & Amy Adams

"If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master,
then let the rest of us know, will you? For you'd be the first person in the history of the world."