Top 10 Films of the 1950s

Tools    

The Wild One [ 1953 ] - Every so often that movie comes along that defies everything, everyone and all expectations. It reaches beyond the realms of mere big screen entertainment and constructs iconography and archetypes that are so enduring that to this day they are relevant and have an effect. The Wild One is definitely at the top of my favorite 1950's films.
  • A Streetcar Named Desire [ 1951 ]
  • On the Waterfront [ 1954 ]
  • Rebel Without A Cause [ 1955 ]
  • Paths Of Glory [ 1957 ]
  • Stalag 17 [ 1953 ]
  • East Of Eden [ 1955 ]
  • The Caine Mutiny [ 1954 ]
  • Jailhouse Rock [ 1957 ]
  • 12 Angry Men [ 1957 ]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Does this mean that if I have sex with a leper, I don't have to wear a helmet?
It depends upon the sex, but I'd say yes. Most people are naturally immune to leprosy. I'd suggest getting a test though before you try such things, soldier.

'back to the '50s. Oh yeah, Ben-Hur.

Those are the two-hundred I'd pick today, anyway.
Obviously as you've stated these are choices of that day but would you consider any of these to be so bad that they'd never make your list. Reason for asking is, and I don't think i've seen more films from the 50's then you maybe one day but, these are all major favourities of mine. Sorry in advance if anyone of these did make your list I tried my best to look threw and make sure.

Early Summer
5 Fingers
The Band Wagon
Battle Circus
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
Thunder Bay
Vera Cruz
All That Heaven Allows
House of Bamboo
To Catch a Thief
Early Spring
Moby Dick
The Spirit of St. Louis
The Bravados
God's Little Acre
The Law and Jake Wade
Fires on the Plain
Good Morning
Operation Petticoat
Warlock

Holds has The 400 Blows in his Bakers Dozen, but it's not in the '59 list.
I know he loves Fires on the Plain.
I also wonder about People Will Talk, Stars in My Crown, Last Holiday, No Room for the Groom, Outcast of the Islands, The Sound Barrier, Oklahoma!, Friendly Persuasion, The Nun's Story, The Magician, Sabrina, Anastasia, The Red Balloon, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Sayonara, I Want to Live!, Compulsion and Love in the Afternoon.

Holds has The 400 Blows in his Bakers Dozen, but it's not in the '59 list.
I know he loves Fires on the Plain.
I also wonder about People Will Talk, Stars in My Crown, Last Holiday, No Room for the Groom, Outcast of the Islands, The Sound Barrier, Oklahoma!, Friendly Persuasion, The Nun's Story, The Magician, Sabrina, Anastasia, The Red Balloon, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Sayonara, I Want to Live!, Compulsion and Love in the Afternoon.
The 400 Blows was just a brainfart, and I too often revert to the U.S. release dates for foreign language films and Fires on the Plain wasn't released until 1962 here (!!!). All the others I considered and simply didn't make my cuts. Several of them just missed, while others wouldn't have been in my top thirty. And I didn't want to put the thirty-minute Le Ballon Rouge on a list with features.

Have you reworked your lists yet, Mark?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm starting to have a to bite my tongue when people feel they can compartmentalize everything. For example:
OK, this is a serious question, not intended as a flame or to rattle your chain or pick a fight, OK? Just two guys talking. I just wonder why you would even care if someone likes, dislikes, or doesn't even want to see a particular film? I mean you're smart about films but there are probably even films you don't like.

Actually, I've had no problem compartmentalizing things in my life far more important than movies.

1. I don't like certain genres, so I won't watch them.
As I've said before in this forum, because of certain experiences I generally avoid blood and gore films like Jaws and slasher movies. They make me uncomfortable so I just don't want to see them. Sometimes I go anyway like to Sweeney Todd, because the stage play wasn't that gory. But I ended up regreting it.

Generally, I don't like martial arts films. Seven Samuria is one thing, Steven Segal is something quite different. I've found I don't enjoy Chinese martial art films where they hang in the air kicking hell out of each other and throw knives like curve balls and dodge volleys of arrows. I rather take my fantasies in the form of Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. But Chan makes me laugh at how he works everyday objects into his kung-foolery.

Doesn't mean lots of other folks shouldn't like those films, but I'd just be wasting time and money to see them because I know I won't enjoy them.

2. I don't like certain personalities, so I won't watch their films.
I don't think much of Jane Fonda as a person, but I like her performances in The Tall Story, Period of Adjustment, and Cat Ballou. But I never did like Klute, and Barbarella, Rhinestone Cowboy, and some of her later efforts.

Don't think much of John Wayne, either, but he's great in The Quite Man and was worthy of an Oscar in Sands of Iwo Jima. Lots of his later formula films sucked swamp water, however.

I've just never cared for Travolta starting way back in his TV series, and every movie role I've seen him in since. For whatever reason, I just don't find him believeable no matter what role he plays. So based on past experience, I generally avoid his films.

And that goes double in spades with Tom Cruise. The only Cruise film I ever was able to sit through was Rain Man, and that was because I had Hoffman to watch. Now I know he's the berries to other folks, and that's fine but I just don't see it myself.

Seems to me that saying someone should watch movies with people and situations they generally don't like is like insisting that a kid who hates beets eat a big plate of beets because he may learn to enjoy it. The odds simply are against it.

3. I know what I like, so I won't watch something I think I won't like.
I've gone to films I was afraid I wouldn't like. Discovered to my surprise I liked Midnight Cowboy. But usually I leave the theater wishing I'd gone with my gut feeling after sitting through something like The Towering Inferno.

4. I know it's a good film but I don't like it. (How do you know it's good then?
People keep telling me 2001 is a great film, but it rolls off my knife.

5. I know it's bad, but I like it and I'm proud of it. (How do you know it's bad then?)
If I like it, it's good. I don't need anyone else's validation.

. I like to make quips telling others that they're wrong about liking certain movies.
Doesn't apply. I'll tell you what I don't like about a movie, and I'll listen to what you like about it. But I've never tried to persuade anyone to change their minds and I've certainly never said they were wrong for liking or disliking any film. You like it or you don't. No skin off my nose either way. I'm not out to convert anyone; simply expressing my opinion which is usually out of step with most of this forum who are less picky than me.

Now, I'll admit that you could probably rewrite all these statements into their inverses of a conditional and it would probably describe a film buff. So go ahead and shoot me for being a film buff and teaching geometry.
You teach geometry! Oh, no!

It's getting too late, so I have to crash. I'll come back later to try to update some more films which I've seen recently.

1. Sunset Blvd.
2. All About Eve
3. Last Holiday
4. Cyrano de Bergerac
5. Harvey
6. Born Yesterday
7. In a Lonely Place
8. The Asphalt Jungle
9. Cinderella
10. Champagne for Caesar
11. Rashomon
12. Stars in My Crown
13. The Winslow Boy
14. The Rocking Horse Winner
15. Trio
16. Broken Arrow
17. Treasure Island
18. Father of the Bride
19. King Solomon's Mines
20. The Mudlark
21. The Magnificent Yankee
22. Annie Get Your Gun
23. The Flame and the Arrow
24. Stage Fright
25. Caged
26. The Glass Menagerie
27. Winchester '73

1. Alice in Wonderland
2. A Streetcar Named Desire
3. People Will Talk
4. The Lavender Hill Mob
5. Ace in the Hole
6. Quo Vadis
7. The African Queen
8. Strangers on a Train
9. The Man in the White Suit
10. Detective Story
11. An American in Paris
12. The Browning Version
13. A Place in the Sun
14. The Red Badge of Courage
15. Show Boat
16. A Christmas Carol (aka Scrooge)
17. Seven Days to Noon
18. His Kind of Woman
19. The Desert Fox
20. Decision Before Dawn
21. The Day the Earth Stood Still
22. Bright Victory
23. Fourteen Hours
24. The Diary of a Country Priest
25. On the Riviera

1. The Quiet Man
2. Singin' in the Rain
3. The Importance of Being Earnest
4. Moulin Rouge
5. Scaramouche
6. High Noon
7. The Crimson Pirate
8. The Promoter aka The Card
9. Ivanhoe
10. No Room For the Groom
11. Outcast of the Islands
12. Limelight
13. The Greatest Show on Earth
14. My Cousin Rachel
15. Bend of the River
16. The Prisoner of Zenda
17. The Bad and the Beautiful
18. Ikiru
19. Park Row
20. The Four Poster
21. Breaking the Sound Barrier
22. The Happy Time
23. Forbidden Games
24. The Enforcer
25. Deadline U.S.A.
26. The Big Sky
27. Les Miserables
28. Ruby Gentry
29. Phone Call From a Stranger
30. Wife for a Night
31. Casque d'or
32. The Star

1. Stalag 17
2. Roman Holiday
3. The Wages of Fear
4. Peter Pan
5. The Wild One
6. From Here to Eternity
7. Shane
8. The Captain's Paradise
9. Genevieve
10. Kiss Me Kate
11. The Band Wagon
12. Hondo
13. The Naked Spur
14. Lili
15. The Cruel Sea
16. Ugetsu
17. Titanic
18. Calamity Jane
19. Gentleman Prefer Blondes
20. How to Marry a Millionaire
21. The Titfield Thunderbolt
22. Scandal at Scourie
23. The Robe
24. The Moon is Blue
25. Young Bess
26. Take Me to Town
27. I Vitelloni

1. Rear Window
2. The Caine Mutiny
3. Hobson's Choice
4. On the Waterfront
5. Sabrina
6. Dial M For Murder
7. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
8. Seven Samurai
9. Carmen Jones
10. A Star is Born
11. Robinson Crusoe
12. Animal Farm
13. Johnny Guitar
14. Vera Cruz
15. 20000 Leagues Under the Sea
16. Man With a Million aka The Million-Pound Note
17. Executive Suite
18. The Country Girl
19. Brigadoon
20. La Strada
21. Desiree
22. Gate of Hell
23. The Barefoot Contessa
24. The Student Prince
25. The Glenn Miller Story

1. Guys and Dolls
2. Oklahoma!
3. Night and Fog
4. The Trouble With Harry
5. To Catch a Thief
6. Diabolique
7. Lady and the Tramp
8. Mr. Roberts
9. East of Eden
10. Rebel Without a Cause
11. Night of the Hunter
12. The Seven Year Itch
13 The Ladykillers
14. The Man Without a Star
15. Picnic
16. Marty
17. The Dam Busters
18. The Long Gray Line
19. Captain Lightfoot
20. The Rose Tattoo
21. Blackboard Jungle
22. The Desperate Hours
23. Summertime
24. Prince of Players
25. The Virgin Queen
26. Trial
27. The Man from Laramie
28. The Glass Slipper
29. Bob le flambeur
30. Violent Saturday

1. Friendly Persuasion
2. The King and I
3. The Searchers
4. Giant
5. The Catered Affair
6. Anastasia
7. The Court Jester
8. Lust For Life
9. Moby Dick
10. Baby Doll
11. The Burmese Harp
12. Teahouse of the August Moon
13. The Man Who Knew Too Much
14. The Ten Commandments
15. The Red Balloon
16. The Killing
17. Gervaise
18. Around the World in 80 Days
19. Carousel
20. Somebody Up There Likes Me
21. Bus Stop
22. The Harder They Fall
23. The Solid Gold Cadillac
24. Richard III
25. The Bad Seed
26. Patterns
27. War and Peace
28. The Rainmaker
29. Trapeze
30. Attack!
31. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers
32. Forbidden Planet
33. Death of a Cyclist

1. Paths of Glory
2. The Bridge on the River Kwai
3. 12 Angry Men
4. Witness For the Prosecution
5. Love in the Afternoon
6. Gunfight at the OK Corral
7. Wild Strawberries
8. The Seventh Seal
9. A Face in the Crowd
10. Sayonara
11. Sweet Smell of Success
12. The Cranes Are Flying (and crying, too!)
13. Peyton Place
14. The Prince and the Showgirl
15. Pal Joey
16. Throne of Blood
17. 3:10 to Yuma
18. Edge of the City
19. A Hatful of Rain
20. Raintree County
21. Funny Face
22. The Tin Star
23. Pal Joey
24. The Man of a Thousand Faces
25. Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
26. Silk Stockings
27. Designing Woman
28. All Mine to Give
29. The Spirit of St. Louis

1. Vertigo
2. The Big Country
3. The Horse's Mouth
4. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
5. Teacher's Pet
6. The Vikings
7. Gigi
8. A Night to Remember
9. The Magician
10. Hidden Fortress
11. I Want to Live!
12. The Defiant Ones
13. Separate Tables
14. The Matchmaker
15. Auntie Mame
16. South Pacific
17. Damn Yankees!
18. Touch of Evil
19. The Young Lions
20. Some Came Running
21. The Fabulous World of Jules Verne
22. Old Yeller
23. The Long, Hot Summer
24. The Last Hurrah
25. Carve Her Name With Pride
26. The Brothers Karamazov
27. The Sheepman
28. The Old Man and the Sea
29. Bell, Book and Candle
30. Law and Disorder
31. Cowboy
32. The Reluctant Debutante
33. The Revenge of Frankenstein
34. Elevator to the Gallows

1. Room at the Top
2. The Nun's Story
3. Some Like It Hot
4. North by Northwest
5. Ben-Hur
6. Pillow Talk
7. Anatomy of a Murder
8. Sleeping Beauty
9. The Devil's Disciple
10. Ballad of a Soldier
11. Compulsion
12. Tiger Bay
13. Our Man in Havana
14. The Bridge
15. Fires on the Plain
16. The Virgin Spring
17. Porgy and Bess
18. On the Beach
19. The Mouse That Roared
20. The Human Condition
21. Nature's Strangest Creatures
22. The 39 Steps
23. The Horse Soldiers
24. The Diary of Anne Frank
25. The Wreck of the Mary Deare
26. Masters of the Congo Jungle
27. The Golden Fish
28. Journey to the Center of the Earth
29. Suddenly, Last Summer
30. The Shaggy Dog
31. Shake Hands With the Devil
32. The Last Angry Man
33. The Young Philadelphians
34. The Hound of the Baskervilles
35. I'm All Right, Jack
36. The Last Train From Gun Hill
37. Warlock
38. Operation Petticoat
39. Libel
40. Sapphire
41. The Hanging Tree
42. A Summer Place
43. Verboten!
44. It Happened to Jane
45. Hiroshima, mon amour
46. The 400 Blows
47. Rio Bravo
48. The House on Haunted Hill
49. The Fugitive Kind
50. Bucket of Blood
51. The Tingler
52. Black Orpheus
53. The Best of Everything

OK. Come clean hk. How many of those films on Holden's list have you seen all the way through, how many did you turn off, how many have you never watched, and how many have you never heard of?
There were 31 films on Pike's list I haven't seen, mostly French, Italian, Russian, and a handful I haven't heard of. I suspect I've seen more of the films on Mark's seeming longer list simply because it is longer and contains some classics not on Pike's list.

The Wild One [ 1953 ] - Every so often that movie comes along that defies everything, everyone and all expectations. It reaches beyond the realms of mere big screen entertainment and constructs iconography and archetypes that are so enduring that to this day they are relevant and have an effect. The Wild One is definitely at the top of my favorite 1950's films.
Not to take anything from Brando's performance, but I think Lee Marvin looked and sounded more like a real motorcycle hooligan in that film. What's your opinion?

Semper Fooey
Them (1954)
I think Will Succes Spoil Rock Hunter from 1957 is a riot.
I guess Mark wasn't impressed with D.O.A which Holden included
What's The Greatest Show on Earth doing there? I don't care if it did win best picture. The only reason to see it is to see Jimmy Stewart jumping and singing on a trampoline.
No High and the Mighty (1954)?
No Big Heat (1953)?

(Not on Mark's much better list).

I'm happy to see you have Tiger Bay on your extended list Mark. I wanted to be Hayley Mills when I was a kid. There was big film star photos on the walls of our cinema, and when we went to Saturday morning pictures I always stopped and looked at Hayley Mills thinking how glamorous her life must be compared to mine! She's a bit older in this photo than she was in Tiger Bay but she was a golden kid of British cinema in the late 50s early 60s

First off, Holden could have made much-longer lists if he desired. Secondly, I felt no desire to shorten mine. If it's worth watching I tried to put it on my list, but I had to cut them off at some point. If it's not on my list, I just think it's not as worth-watching as the others on my list but that doesn't mean I think it stinks. I've seen multiple times all the films in will's post above, but for whatever reasons, they didn't make my list. These lists are in no way meant to denigrate anybody else's fave films. They're just there to lead somebody to a film which they may enjoy.

It's getting too late, so I have to crash. I'll come back later to try to update some more films which I've seen recently.

24. Stage Fright

14. The Red Badge of Courage

17. The Bad and the Beautiful

11. The Band Wagon
12. Hondo
15. The Cruel Sea

5. Sabrina
23. The Glenn Miller Story

17. The Dam Busters

1. Friendly Persuasion

6. Gunfight at the OK Corral

19. The Young Lions
26. The Brothers Karamazov

34. The Hound of the Baskervilles
40. Sapphire
I was going to mention Sapphire, The Hounds of the Baskervilles, Gunfight at the OK Corral, The Dam Busters, The Glenn Miller Story, Sabrina, Honda, The Band Wagon and Stage Fright. I thought my list of no shows was already a bit big so I cut these out. Other films missing that I rather liked are Silk Stockings, Strategic Air Command, Between Heaven and Hell. what did you think of Between Heaven and Hell? I thought the latter part of the film had a good story to tell and the trail and bush fire fights were extremely well done. Sapphire is a neat little suspenser, tidy and dark. Hondo was on of those 3D movies that came out around the time of House of Wax and Dial 'M' for Murder and while I think those others two examples are better I still got into John Wayne and that the Dog.

The Bad and the Beautiful, The Cruel Sea, Friendly Persuasion and The Brothers Karamazov have been on my too see list for such a long time.

Not that you ranked The Young Lions high but I didn't particularly like it. I wanted to and it has remend quite clearly within my mind maybe I need to go back and check it out again. I'm not sure what people see in The Red Badge of Courage I love Huston but this didn't work for me.

LB, that omission of Silk Stockings in the 1957 list has been augmented by moving The Tin Star higher up.

I'll have to rewatch Between Heaven and Hell because I don't recall it getting as exciting as you do. I've been proved wrong before though.

The Red Badge of Courage was hacked to bits by its company/distributor but it's still quite poetic and visceral in both action and narration.

Not to take anything from Brando's performance, but I think Lee Marvin looked and sounded more like a real motorcycle hooligan in that film. What's your opinion?
Marvin was necessarily over the top, but, I definitely wouldn't compare him to Brando.

For some fun
After doing this bit of exercise I've realized
One I'm either really easy on films.
Two not hard enough on films.
Three I've seen a lot of great films from the 50's.
Four I've got a lot of movies to watch.
Just to let you guys know I got all my dates from Wikipedia

01. Sunset Boulevard
02. Rashomon
03. In a Lonely Place
04. All About Eve
05. The Asphalt Jungle
06. Harvey
07. The Gunfighter
08. D.O.A.
09. Night and the City
10. Stage Fright
11. Winchester '73
12. Broken Arrow
13. Father of the Bride
14. Gun Crazy
15. Rio Grande

The Men - Didn't really like.

01. Early Summer
02. The African Queen
03. A Christmas Carol
04. Strangers on a Train
05. The Thing from Another World
06. Alice in Wonderland
07. The Day the Earth Stood Still
08. An American in Paris
09. A Place in the Sun
10. Father's Little Dividend

The Red Badge of Courage
Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man - it was ok

01. Ikiru
02. Moulin Rouge
03. 5 Fingers
04. The Quiet Man
05. Bend of the River
06. Forbidden Games
07. Singin' in the Rain
08. High Noon
09. Othello

Two dissapointing films by to exceptional directors.
The Duel at Silver Creek
Red Ball Express

01. The Wages of Fear
02. The Naked Spur
03. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
04. Tokyo Story
05. Thunder Bay
06. Beat the Devil
07. Stalag 17
08. Island in the Sky
09. Pickup on South Street
10. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
11. I Confess
12. Battle Circus
13. The Big Heat
14. The Band Wagon
15. Shane
16. From Here to Eternity
17. Invaders from Mars
18. House of Wax
19. The War of the Worlds

Abbott and Costello Go to Mars - Silly.
Escape from Fort Bravo - Some well done action piece in what is overall an okay film.
The Glenn Miller Story - I'm an Anthony Mann Fan so I liked it but I can see were someone might have there issues.
Hondo - Good.

01. Seven Samurai
02. Rear Window
03. The Caine Mutiny
04. Dial M for Murder
05. Vera Cruz
06. On the Waterfront
07. Sabrina
08. River of No Return
09. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
10. Animal Farm
11. Broken Lance

Jail Bait - I went threw a small stage of trying to watch Ed Wood films. This film, Plan 9 From Outer Space,
The Violent Years which he wrote and a few documentaries. Jail Bait was bad.
La strada - I Wasn't able to get into it.

01. Bad Day at Black Rock
02. Marty
03. Kiss Me Deadly
04. The Night of the Hunter
05. Richard III
06. Mister Roberts
07. The Man from Laramie
08. The Trouble with Harry
09. All That Heaven Allows
10. The Far Country
11. Rififi
12. Les Diaboliques
13. Pather Panchali
14. The Ladykillers
15. Rebel Without a Cause
16. The Big Combo
17. House of Bamboo
18. Blackboard Jungle
19. To Catch a Thief
20. The Dam Busters
21. Summertime
22. The Man Without a Star
23. The Desperate Hours
24. Smiles of a Summer Night

both were ok
The Quatermass Xperiment
Strategic Air Command

01. Bob le flambeur
02. The Searchers
03. Early Spring
04. Giant
05. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
06. The Killing
07. Seven Men From Now
08. Moby Dick
09. The Wrong Man
10. Between Heaven and Hell
11. The Battle of the River Plate
12. The Man Who Knew Too Much

01. Wild Strawberries
02. The Bridge on the River Kwai
03. Paths of Glory
04. The Seventh Seal
05. 12 Angry Men
06. Witness for the Prosecution
07. Sweet Smell of Success
08. Aparajito
09. The Spirit of St. Louis
10. Throne of Blood
11. An Affair to Remember
12. Fire Down Below
13. Silk Stockings
14. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
15. Nights of Cabiria
16. The Three Faces of Eve

01. Vertigo
02. The Hidden Fortress
03. Mon Oncle
04. God's Little Acre
05. Touch of Evil
06. The Law and Jake Wade
07. The Big Country
08. Jalsaghar
09. The Bravados
10. The Horse's Mouth
11. The Magician
12. Man of the West
13. Equinox Flower
14. Party Girl
15. The Fly

Torpedo Run - I like Sub films this was rather silly I still liked it.
The Young Lions - Need to watch again.

01. Good Morning
02. Rio Bravo
03. The 400 Blows
04. North by Northwest
05. Anatomy of a Murder
06. Hiroshima Mon Amour
07. Floating Weeds
08. Operation Petticoat
09. Breathless
10. Warlock
11. Fires on the Plain
12. Black Orpheus
13. The Virgin Spring
14. Some Like It Hot
15. Hercules Unchained
16. Sapphire
17. Ben-Hur
18. Imitation of Life
19. The Hound of the Baskervilles
20. House on Haunted Hill
21. The Mummy
22. Plan 9 from Outer Space
23. Pickpocket - It was a very bad VHS tape. plus I didn't really like it.

Chuck Jones needs a mention in terms of 50's cartoon cinema Duck Amuck alone is a masterpieces