Quote of the Day

Tools    

if everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough

"I am sorry, Boy" said the tree, but I have nothing left to give you - my apples are gone."

"My teeth are too weak for apples," said the boy.

"My branches are gone," said the tree. "You cannot swing on them-"

"I am too old to swing on branches," said the boy.

"My trunk is gone," said the tree. "You cannot climb-"

"I am too tired to climb," said the boy.

"I am sorry," sighed the tree. "I wish that I could give you something...but I am just an old stump. I am sorry."

"I don't need very much now," said the boy, "just a quiet place to sit and rest. I am very tired."

"Well," said the tree, straightening herself up as much as she could, "well am old stump is good for sitting and resting. Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest."

And the boy did.

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

I am half agony, half hope.
Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime,
Therefore, we are saved by hope.
Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history;
Therefore, we are saved by faith.
Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone.
Therefore, we are saved by love.
No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own;
Therefore, we are saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.

~Reinhold Niebuhr

Johann von Goethe

Chappie doesn't like the real world
. . .suffering has been stronger than all other
teaching, and has
taught me to understand what
your heart used to be. I have been bent and
broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."

-Charles Dickens-Great Expectations

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"From the time a woman is seven years old till she dies of old age, she is ready for action, and competent. As competent as the candlestick to receive the candle. But man is only briefly competent:...After fifty his performance is of poor quality; the intervals between are wide, and its satisfactions of no great quality to either party; whereas his great-grandmother is as good as new."
-Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth

"She was a blond. A Blond to make a Bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window."
- Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

~Bessie Stanley~
(sometimes attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I couldn't choose between these:

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."

"Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction; faith in fiction is a damnable false hope."

-Thomas Edison

"Then Bioy Casares recalled that one of the heresiarchs of Uqbar had declared that mirrors and copulation are abominable, because they increase the number of men."
- Jorge Luis Borges, Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

"Then Bioy Casares recalled that one of the heresiarchs of Uqbar had declared that mirrors and copulation are abominable, because they increase the number of men."
- Jorge Luis Borges, Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius

Chappie doesn't like the real world
“An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”-Charles Bukowski

I am half agony, half hope.
"Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process."

~Phillips Brooks

Life is what happens while you are making other plans. ~ John Lennon

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
Love that quote, Caity QT.