My List of Worst Movie Remakes

Tools    

Lost Horizon

This dismal musical remake of the 1937 classic was my #1 choice of worst musical ever made and deserves #2 here.

Lost Horizon was originally going to be my # 1 for this thread, but research for this thread reminded me of a movie that was even worse than Lost Horizon, which I didn't think was possible...and now...my # 1 choice for Worst Remake:

Blame it on Rio

This lewd and tasteless sex comedy was just offensive to the senses and should have been an embarrassment to everyone involved. Michael Caine, of all people, plays a middle-aged guy who actually starts having an affair with the nubile young daughter of his best friend (Joseph Bologna). This film is a remake of a 1977 French film called Un moment d'egarement . All I can think is Caine, Bologna, and director Stanley Donen must have REALLY needed the money.

I know this list ruffled some feathers, but it's all over now.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Always liked Blame It on Rio. Joe Bologna was hilarious. Yes, I respect your opinion - I'm just sharing mine.

Great list!

I have to agree with all (that I've seen). There were many I was unaware were remakes (is there anything the French have made that Hollywood hasn't remade?)

Now for add-ons: as a sci-fi aficionado and fan of the original... one of the WORST remakes has to be...

Great list!

I have to agree with all (that I've seen). There were many I was unaware were remakes (is there anything the French have made that Hollywood hasn't remade?)

Now for add-ons: as a sci-fi aficionado and fan of the original... one of the WORST remakes has to be...

Never saw the remake of Rollerball...loved the original.

Never saw the remake of Rollerball...loved the original.
The remake was horrible. Not even an homage to the original - it was devoid of all the prospective political drama & intrigue that drove the story in the original (remember John Houseman?). It lacked all the sheer power & defiance of the original.

(Instead, it gave an incredibly long "night-vision" sequence of vehicles chasing each other in the desert! WTF?)

(Instead, it gave an incredibly long "night-vision" sequence of vehicles chasing each other in the desert! WTF?)
I missed that scene because...

I shut it off after 15 minutes. It starts out with a mind numbing, motorcycle chase, that was suppose to be exciting. The first 15 minutes looked like a video game come to the movies. That's why I don't like modern Hollywood action films, there glorified video games.

It is truly awful. I'd only suggest watching it so you could include it on this list.

Congrats on finishing your list, Gideon.

I missed that scene because...

I shut it off after 15 minutes. It starts out with a mind numbing, motorcycle chase, that was suppose to be exciting. The first 15 minutes looked like a video game come to the movies. That's why I don't like modern Hollywood action films, there glorified video games.
You "missed" nothing, Rules. Consider the one hour and 23 minutes you did not spend watching the rest as a gift from the universe tacked onto your life! In fact, I think watching that entire movie probably takes more time off your life than a few cartons of cigarettes!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I had no idea that Xanadu was a remake, but it's one of my favorite fantasy movies. (Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who loves this movie. )
You're not even alone on this board and, for once, I don't even mean me.

I know that there are a couple of other MoFos who said that they liked Xanadu, but I never hear anyone say anything good about it. Everyone talks about it like it was the worst movie ever made.

The Jazz Singer

This second remake of the iconic 1927 "talkie" was meant to make a movie star out of pop singer Neil Diamond and failed dismally...even the presence of Lord Laurence Olivier couldn't save this one...still trying to figure out how Olivier was talked into this.

I haven't seen either of the previous version of The Jazz Singer, but I love the Neil Diamond version. I'll agree that the acting is pretty bad, but I still love the movie. And the music is fantastic. It's one of my all-time favorite soundtracks. I didn't even know who Neil Diamond was when I saw the movie, but by the time the movie was over, he was one of my favorite singers.

That's okay. We still love you, and your lists, even if we don't always agree with your opinions.
I like that Gideon does great list alright!

Oh GBG, I've said this before but I liked (but not loved) Xandu and The Jazz Singer.

Oh GBG, I've said this before but I liked (but not loved) Xanadu and The Jazz Singer.

It's hard to compare those two musicals to the classic musicals of the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's because the music style is so different, but those are two of my favorite modern musicals, (and two of my favorite movies). It's sad to see them on any kind of "worst" movies list, but I've read bad reviews of both movies before, so I can't say that I'm surprised to see them listed here.

The Terminator
Cool, that makes sense.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
All the movies on this list pretty much suck, but i can't agree on Miracle On 34th Street. I love the remake.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "