Soundtracks Better than the Films

Tools    

Conan the Barbarian (1982).. not that the movie was awful, (though some may say it is) but the soundtrack by Basil Paledouris is insanely good. and not even just the main anvil of crom theme, but some of the secondary stuff too

even the following love theme from this movie almost brings a tear to my eye (not afraid to admit it damnit!) and i ain't all about that mushy stuff usually. mainly from the 1:38 mark to the end

just damn good music imo

I think the biggest gap is:

O Fortuna by Carl Oriff. It is an iconic piece of music:

But the movie Excalibur was decent at best.

So probably a very big gap!

Horrible horrible movie.... but an ok synthesizer John Carpenter like soundtrack that makes the movie watchable.....

I John Carpenter's soundtracks:

The german version of his soundtracks is pure gold:

Discogs

Here is one track from the album:

Actually, the first movie that came to mind for me when I saw the title of this thread was MR. & MRS. SMITH...the music in that movie is just outstanding and I'm not one who really notices instrumental music while watching a movie, but the music in that movie was really special. I also have to agree with the posters who mentioned LESS THAN ZERO and PURPLE RAIN.

Hancock.

The movie was decent, but the soundtrack was far ahead of the visuals. Check it out!

Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood