Brazil and Portugal
1.96%
1 votes
India
9.80%
5 votes
Other countries
51 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Given that the forum's language is English, it would be quite surprising if it weren't dominated by countries where English is the most common language.
Well, I participated in several English language forums and in this case we have a higher proportion of people from UK/US than in other forums, such as: http://historum.com/, and http://forum.axishistory.com/

Take a thread from the second, it is an English language forum but a thread there looks like this:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...87293&start=30

One guy from Ukraine, another from Germany, another from China, another from Japan, another from Russia, etc. English is the world's de facto standard language in which people from many different countries communicate with one another.

So when people talk on the web in English the probability of the user being from the English speaking world is now pretty much less than 50%.

You can, of course, stereotype every which way. Are Westerners more likely to like English-language films? Yes. Are non-Westerners more likely to disparage them? Yes. Neither generalization is particularly useful.
What do you define by non-Westerner? They are the Indians, East Asians, Africans and Arabs. We don't have a single non-Westerner in this forum, with the exception of that Indian guy who said that Tom Cruise was the most famous Hollywood star.

Anyway, I am not stereotyping I am just taking a survey because I was curious about the nationality of the members here.

Yeah, the constant stereotyping and condescending is getting old. You can do it in reverse, too, but most of us are reasonable enough to realize that it's a pretty facile way to respond to different people.
I am sorry if my posts sound that way. That was not my intention at all.

MoFo is an American site... so the bet is it will be based on the English language and have a high following of Hollywood and British films.
I don't have any problem with a forum predominantly inhabited by people from the English speaking world. However, I had the experience, since I frequented many different English speaking forums, where people from many different countries communicated in English.

I expected that the same applied here, but I noticed that this forum was much more Anglo-Saxonic than I expected. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe films tend to be more appreciated in the English speaking world than the rest of the world, which helps explaining why the English speaking film industry is so larger than those of other countries.

eSites based on different things like History or, IDK, Geography or Philosophy or whatever... well...
Yes, maybe the different subject matter attracts different nationalities. Anyway, I have absolutely nothing against the fact that I discovered here that >80% of the forum is from the English speaking world.

Anyway, I am moving into the United States next month.

Belgium.

I just consider it as a country I fortuitously live in, though. I like to think of myself as an inhabitant of the world and not as a citizen of a certain country.

#CLICHÉ

Well, I participated in several English language forums and in this case we have a higher proportion of people from UK/US than in other forums, such as: http://historum.com/, and http://forum.axishistory.com/

Take a thread from the second, it is an English language forum but a thread there looks like this:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...87293&start=30

One guy from Ukraine, another from Germany, another from China, another from Japan, another from Russia, etc. English is the world's de facto standard language in which people from many different countries communicate with one another.

What do you define by non-Westerner? They are the Indians, East Asians, Africans and Arabs. We don't have a single non-Westerner in this forum, with the exception of that Indian guy who said that Tom Cruise was the most famous Hollywood star.

Anyway, I am not stereotyping I am just taking a survey because I was curious about the nationality of the members here.

I'm going to refer to my last post... it's the medium.
A movie forum based in America is going to attract mainly, not all, but mainly English speaking members.

As for non-Western... what you class as non-Western... Indians, East Asians, Africans and Arabs...

... what about Australia, New Zealand, Russia and other European countries like Austria and Belarus...

... these are all non-English speaking countries (apart from Australia and New Zealand of course) on the same, or very close, latitude as non-English speaking Middle Eastern Countries like Turkey and Egypt etc... yet would you class Aus, NZ, Russia etc as Western?

It's simply the medium. Movies, history, philosophy or CB Radio, it all depends on what the forum is based on.

... these are all non-English speaking countries (apart from Australia and New Zealand of course) on the same, or very close, latitude as non-English speaking Middle Eastern Countries like Turkey and Egypt etc... yet would you class Aus, NZ, Russia etc as Western?
Western means that a country is from the Western Civilization. All countries of Christian and Jewish religion are western, in a broad sense.

Though you can divide the broader western world and separate the Christian orthodox countries, Greece, Russia, Georgia, from the Catholic/Protest countries, Germany, UK, France, Portugal, etc.

So the Western world in the most strict definition includes all of South America, all of North America (including Mexico), all of Europe west of Poland (and including Poland, Mr. Minio is western par-excellence), Australia and New Zealand.

I don't get that standpoint... Western no longer means location, it means the basis of what the Country was founded... on and what the belief and law system is?

That would be like saying, say Britain is now around a 30% non-white English speaking populous like Polish and African descendants a few from Indian and Asian countries and so on...

... so Britain is now only 60% "Western" because we have that as a base of our population.

It has nothing to do with the population or where they're from, it's the landmass's place on the map that defines what is Western or Eastern.

Here's a good one then...

Almost the entire globe was owned by Britain... not anymore, but it was once owned by the British Empire... even now, after years of not being owned by Britain there are still massive impressions left behind by the British culture that has an every day impact in the lives of the populous of those countries.

So by that reckoning, that makes every single country in the world... Western.

This isn't a restricted site. Anyone who types in movie forums on their search engine will find it.
Indeed. I came upon this site in the following way:

1 - Began to watch many movies.
2 - Got bored of only rating the movies on the IMDB and so decided to use the internet forums to discuss movies.
3 - Came upon the Brazilian movie forums. There people said that Seven Samurai was hard to watch. Gave up on trying to discuss movies in Portuguese language forums.
4 - Searched for "movie forums" on Google. Came upon this forum and registered.
5 - I should note that I am registered into several different film and anime forums. Though this one is the one that I spend the most time.

The question is how many people from these other countries visit the site, and if there are several, why don't they post? Of course, if they're there but don't tell us, we're left not knowing why. I'm not really into jumping to conclusions, although I do sometimes, but it's rarely concerning a "conspiracy" or some such thing. I think people here watch movies for a variety of reasons but none of them are sinister; at least I think so.
Maybe they don't feel safe writing posts in English. My English writing considerably improved after I began writing in these English internet forums.

Here's a good one then...

Almost the entire globe was owned by Britain... not anymore, but it was once owned by the British Empire... even now, after years of not being owned by Britain there are still massive impressions left behind by the British culture that has an every day impact in the lives of the populous of those countries.
The British Empire controlled a quarter of the globe's territory. That is far from "almost the entire globe":

The Soviet Union controlled nearly the same amount of land area before it collapsed in 1991.

So by that reckoning, that makes every single country in the world... Western.
Well, the entire planet is increasingly more connected and the culture of the entire planet is becoming more and more homogenized. So we can say that the world is becoming entirely western. For instance, in Miyazaki's movies we can notice the heavily westernized architecture of his

Hollywood's global projection is actually an important element

I don't get that standpoint... Western no longer means location, it means the basis of what the Country was founded... on and what the belief and law system is?
Well, when people say Western they generally mean people from the historically emerged Jewish-Christian culture of Europe and it's offshoots.

That would be like saying, say Britain is now around a 30% non-white English speaking populous like Polish and African descendants a few from Indian and Asian countries and so on...
Polish are white.

... so Britain is now only 60% "Western" because we have that as a base of our population.
No, western means culture.

It has nothing to do with the population or where they're from, it's the landmass's place on the map that defines what is Western or Eastern.
Neither population nor geographical location but cultural affinities as result of historical processes that define whether a country is western or not.

But Jesus Christ was a Middle Eastern Jew with an Arabian name...

Surely then the culture raised from Christianity is Middle Eastern.

The Middle East was part of the Roman Empire at the time, two thousand years ago, later it became separated from the Western civilization, which became restricted to Europe. Later Europe colonized the Americas while Russia colonized central Asia, expanding the reach of the western civilization.

The Middle East is very similar to Europe in many ways and, specially, in the middle ages the cultural differences were smaller - in fact, the middle east today still looks like medieval Europe, culturally.

But even today we have that Israel is western and in the Middle East.

Anyway, this is a good recent history book on the subject: