Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

minds his own damn business
Finally, I get to see what the Nightbeast looks like! Scary stuff.
Another victim in Rockatansky's ceaseless and senseless disinformation campaign.

Another victim in Rockatansky's ceaseless and senseless disinformation campaign.
Quiet, you!

I know I'll eventually get around to it. It is Hitchcock after all. Even his subpar efforts are better than most other films. My list of Hitchcock films I feel I absolutely need to watch includes Torn Curtain, Topaz, I Confess, Notorious, Spellbound and Foreign Correspondent.
I really like all those films, perhaps "Curtain" being the least. I love Foreign Correspondent. Joel McCrea really carries the film even thought he wasn't a big star in 1940. I Confess is a unique atypical Hitchcock film shot in Canada. Montgomery Clift does a great job, but it's not a typical suspenseful Hitchcock. You'll like it.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
(1968, Kubrick)
2001: A Space Odyssey was released in the spring of 1968, puzzling critics and audiences in the way. It is reported that in one premiere alone, more than 200 people walked out. Much like the scientists (or the apes, or Bowman) in the film upon finding the famous monolith, they were probably wondering "what the damn thing [was]". That is a question that even I, on perhaps my 4th or 5th viewing, still ask myself, regardless of my undying love of the film.

Although it spans several centuries, 2001: A Space Odyssey primarily follows a crew of astronauts on their way to Jupiter; a journey that was apparently sparked by the discovery of a mysterious monolith buried under the surface of the moon. But to limit the film to just that chunk is a disservice to it. The film is much more than that, more than the "apes" that initially encountered the monolith in the first act of the film, or more than Dave Bowman's colorful space "trip" beyond Jupiter in the last act.

Grade:
I agree. 2001 was a great, landmark, and enormously enjoyable film. A few of us from the band went to see it in Denver while we were on the road in 1968. I believe it was in Cinerama. A couple of them had taken acid or pot, so they had their minds blown. It's a film that hardly ever gets old, despite oodles of advanced sci-fi space films since.

The music theme is so iconic, used countless times since in other idioms. Not sure who wrote it, perhaps Alex North. But the sparing use of music (and dialogue for that matter) really set the movie apart. And Kubrick's use of well known classical music was inspiring.

I agree. 2001 was a great, landmark, and enormously enjoyable film. A few of us from the band went to see it in Denver while we were on the road in 1968. I believe it was in Cinerama. A couple of them had taken acid or pot, so they had their minds blown. It's a film that hardly ever gets old, despite oodles of advanced sci-fi space films since.

The music theme is so iconic, used countless times since in other idioms. Not sure who wrote it, perhaps Alex North. But the sparing use of music (and dialogue for that matter) really set the movie apart. And Kubrick's use of well known classical music was inspiring.
North did write a score that was eventually ditched by Kubrick in favor of classical music. North found out at the premiere

I've been considering this for a while but a 5/10 review doesn't really inspire me.
Don't let me completely put you off watching The Head Hunter. Knowing about it's low budget and limitations, you'd be seeing it from a much better angle than I did.