Male Tear jerkers - film or programme

Tools    

obviuosly there are many films out there, that are tear jerkers, especially for women, but for men it is a little different, so what are the one's where you feel a little tear.

Programme - has to be the end of Blackadder goes fourth, where they go over the top.
Or the scrubs episode, either the one with Brendan Fraser or when laverne die's, those are sad.
There is also maybe the end of saving private ryan.My dog skip, is a horrendously sad film, Green street is a fairl sa ending, Terminator 2, where he is being lowered into the molten metal, Gladiator, and although he doesnt die in it, the end of remeber the titans is a sad film,Tombstone, spartacus but what others are there??

Programme - has to be the end of Blackadder goes fourth, where they go over the top.

There is also maybe the end of saving private ryan.My dog skip, is a horrendously sad film, Green street is a fairl sa ending, Terminator 2, where he is being lowered into the molten metal, Gladiator, and although he doesnt die in it, the end of remeber the titans is a sad film,Tombstone, spartacus but what others are there??
I thought the ending shot of the Blackadder series with all the main characters frozen in stop-action as they go over the top was a great finish to the whole series. I don't think any of that bunch would have contributed much to the future gene pool anyway.

What made me sad about Saving Pvt. Ryan is the money and time I wasted seeing it. There were so many dumb and foolish things going on in that film that I never gave a damn about any of the characters. Especially the dufus captain and the elusive Ryan. Gladiator was another one where I had no empathy for the characters--I kept waiting in vain for a storyline to develop.

I've seen My Dog Skip, remember that it was pretty good, but can't remember a thing about it, particularly the ending.

Tombstone and Spartacus were just shoot-em-ups (or cut-em-ups) based on historic characters, so one knew how the film would end before it ever started.

On the other hand, everybody has cried over Old Yellow at one time or another.

Even the most manly men are allowed to cry at...

"Brian's Song"
1971, Buzz Kulik

It's a known fact. Applies to any real-life sports drama, actually, from Rudy to The Lou Gehrig Story and everything in between.

But frankly I'm secure enough in my masculinity to cry even at the "girlie" tearjerkers. I'm not ashamed. There are many threads on the subject, seek and ye shall find.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
obviuosly there are many films out there, that are tear jerkers, especially for women, but for men it is a little different,

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I meant to post Brian's Song when I first saw this thread, but I thought it was obvious. Plus, I think that everybody of any sex (if any... ) bawls at Brian's Song. Maybe I just cry more than most people over being such an underachieving bum...

Ghost and Bridge to Terabithia (2007) literally brought tears to my eyes, and The Abyss brought me on the verge (no pun intended).

There have been other films which have brought tears to my eyes or came close to, but those are the three that come to mind first and foremost.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

My top 5:

5. Sleepless In Seattle
Yeah, I know that technically, this is a chick-flick. But when I was "forced" to go see it cuz my girlfriend at the time was really into the movie "An Affair To Remember", & therefore just had to go to see this soppy-ass romance from which it was based off of,
well I found myself almost crying when it was finally over. Just cuz I couldn't believe that it was finally over.

4. Field Of Dreams
Tossing the ball with a dead dad.
This scene almost had my pimp-ass reaching for the tissue.
Almost.

3. Good Will Hunting
Mork wins an Oscar for his portrayal of a down to Earth Southie with a sympathetic ear?
Well, how do you like them apples?
Not just my fave movie of the year that it came out, bur also, one of all-time favorite movies ever.
And if any of you out there reading this can't seem to come eye to eye with my over-all assessment of the high quality of this story,
fret not.
It's not your fault.

2. Brian's Song
A film that truly encapsulates the feeling of amorous friendship between two straight men.
In short, interracial hetero man-love at it's finest.

1. Rocky 2 - After the exchange between the original Rock & Adrian where he tells her to let him be a man,
& then,
in the hospital where after he tells her that he'll give up boxing if she wants him to, but then she says that what she wants him to do is to win,
well, again....
I almost went for the Kleenex.
Almost.

Now stop cryin' over sumthin as simple as a movie, you buncha p#ssies.

I remember as a kid getting teary-eyed at the ending of The Robe, which is one of the first films I remember where the good guys, the stars in fact, are to taken out and killed. But I also was more religious back then.

The one film that I remember actually having a tear roll down my cheek as an adult was back in the 60s when I took my young daughter to see Disney's The Jungle Book. There's a scene near the end where the bear seems to have died; I looked over at my little girl, and she had tears streaming down her cheeks. And that brought tears to my own eyes.

As I've gotten older, I think I've become more sentimental about the past--the lost joys, memories of better times, the wrongs we wish we could right, the apologies we'd like to make, things we wish we could do over. So each year about this time when I watch my favorite Christmas movie Scrooge (the musical that was on Broadway before it became a film, for those of you who don't remember), I start sniffling when after being visited by the ghosts, Albert Finney as Scrooge awakes on Christmas day to sing "I'll Begin Again." That whole concept of being able to redeem one's life and soul really tugs at the heartstrings. Each year I watch that and think, "I'll do better next year." But I seldom do.

There’s another great musical that taps into my emotions: Fiddler on the Roof. One scene that always gets me is the wedding scene when the parents of the bride sing:
Is this the little girl I carried? / Is this the little boy at play? /
I don't remember growing older / When did they? /
When did she get to be a beauty? / When did he get to be so tall? /
Wasn't it yesterday / When they were small? /

Your children and grandchildren always grow much faster than you expect--or want. All three of my children have grown and married, so I know exactly what the parents are feeling in that scene. At other times in that film, the father is torn between what society says he should do and what his three oldest daughters ask to do. He gives in to two of them but essentially disowns the third, which to me is the saddest thing of all.

Worst of all, my oldest son Mike died last year—something I thought I could never survive and that I know I’ll never get over. So I’m more sensitive to scenes of almost any sort involving sons and daughters. Whether it’s a small child being rescued or a grown child bonding with the dad—or simply shades of my own experiences with my children, such as the thing about the B-B gun in A Christmas Story.

When my two sons were in grade school, I bought them one B-B gun to share one Christmas. I just got one because when my brother and I each got B-B guns when we were kids, we started having dangerous gun-fights, actually shooting other. With one gun, even the toughest kids are not going to take turns being a target.

And like the mother in the movie, their mom was against it for fear they would shoot their eyes out. Christmas morning, I took both boys out in the backyard to teach them to shoot. A small target came with the gun, with a heavy rubber backing to prevent BBs from penetrating the cardboard box. After warnings of possible dangers and instructions on safety, Mike took the first shot at the target. And ping! Damned if the BB didn’t bounce off the rubber backing and fly back to hit him on the cheek less than an inch below his eye!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
There’s another great musical that taps into my emotions: Fiddler on the Roof. One scene that always gets me is the wedding scene when the parents of the bride sing:
Is this the little girl I carried? / Is this the little boy at play? /
I don't remember growing older / When did they? /
When did she get to be a beauty? / When did he get to be so tall? /
Wasn't it yesterday / When they were small? /

Your children and grandchildren always grow much faster than you expect--or want. All three of my children have grown and married, so I know exactly what the parents are feeling in that scene.
I love that scene too. Thanks for sharing that, Rufnek.

"Male Tear jerkers"

I feel so left out....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Caitlyn, I hereby make you an honorary male. While in this thread, your name is Dave. Feel free to now list your male tear jerkers.

*Though, looking at the list, it appears that you can list girlie crybaby films anyway.*

terminator 2 was sad? when, arnold was not even human in the movie, how can you be sad about a boy who loses his best friend, who he only knew for a couple of days, and his friend was a robot...not sad imo...my dog skip, hotel rwanda, annie hall was funny but still sad, dead poets society, boyz in the hood, menace 2 society...these are just some on my list, oh and you can't forget american history x...
"Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets." - Dante Hicks

a walk to remember was sad...forgot about that, as was city of angels!

Not sure I've replied to this thread yet, but it looks familiar. Oh well, I did cry in A.I.: Artificial Intelligence.
Heavily agreed.