The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

My list so far

1) Will show up
2) Will show up
3) Judgment at Nuremberg (1961 Stanley Kramer) (#35)
4) Will show up
5) Will show up
6) Inherit the Wind (1960 Stanley Kramer) (#64)
7) Will show up
8) Viridiana (1961 Luis Bunuel) (#92)
9) Ma Nuit chez Maude (1969 Eric Rohmer) (#89)
10) Won't show up
11) Goldfinger (1964 Guy Hamilton) (#46)
12) Will show up
13) Won't show up
14) Will show up
15) Will show up
16) Will show up
17) Z (1969 Costas-Grava) (#44)
18) Le Trou (1960 Jacques Becker) (#50)
19) Harakiri (1962 Masaki Kobayashi) (#27)
20) I hope it will show up
21) Won't show up
22) Won't show up
23) Will show up
24) Won't show up
25) La Dolce Vita (1960 Federic Fellini) (#25)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I haven't seen The Hustler, but something's telling me It's a great film. It's been on my watchlist for some time now.

I haven't seen La Dolce Vita neither and I'm afraid of this film. It's 3 hours of Fellini, whose style I abhored in 8 1/2 and La Strada.

I have seen Le Samurai and really love it. It's flawlessly executed and Delon's performance is brilliant.

I haven't included High and Low on my list, but I wanted to. However, another similar Kurosawa film took its place. On my list, or not, it's a glorious masterpiece.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

High and Low is a loose adaptation of Evan "Hunter" McBain's novel King's Ransom. McBain wrote the screenplay to The Birds. Therefore, I predict Woman in the Dunes and The Birds will be somewhere between 19 and 17.

The Hustler is a long time favorite of mine, but when I watched it again about 6 months ago, I felt that it was going to be a close call making my list. I watched it yet again for the Hall of Fame, and the magic was back. I had it at #9. I also love The Color of Money.

Kurosawa and Mifune have become at the very least, my second favorite director/actor combo. I watched High and Low for the first time and loved it. I had it at #12.

Much like The Red Circle, I totally enjoyed Le Samourai, but it just did not stay in my mind. I didn't vote for it, but it's nice to see it do well.

I liked La Dolce Vita, but I think there was much potential missed on my part. I would very much like to see it again under optimum circumstances.

My list-

#1 Elmer Gantry
#2 Onibaba
#3 Contempt
#6 Hud
#7 The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
#8 Harakiri
#9 The Hustler
#11 Inherit the Wind
#12 High and Low
#13 Breakfast at Tiffany's
#15 An Autumn Afternoon
#18 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
#22 The Battle of Algiers
#23 They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
#25 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

15 for me with another 5 to show, more than I expected.

High and Low is a loose adaptation of Evan "Hunter" McBain's novel King's Ransom. McBain wrote the screenplay to The Birds. Therefore, I predict Woman in the Dunes and The Birds will be somewhere between 19 and 17.
That'll be 18 then

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
0/4 from my list today. The Hustler is filmed as a Greek tragedy about gambling but it's really about how people use each other. The cinematography by Eugen Schüfftan, who did the F/X work on Fritz Lang's Metropolis and also shot Marcel Carné's Port of Shadows and George Franju's Eyes Without a Face was evocatively grimy and highlighted people's faces. The acting in the film is universally strong.

Le samouraï is perhaps Melville's most-extreme version of style over substance and it has influenced a whole slew of movies (The Driver, The Killer, Leon: The Professional, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, No Country for Old Men, Drive, etc.), but none of those dared to be so calm and quiet throughout the entire film. Le samouraï seems to be more of a dream the title character may never awaken from.

High and Low is Kurosawa's adaptation of one of Ed McBain's "87th Precinct" novels. Almost none of the plot or movie turns out the way one would think. Toshiro Mifune is excellent playing a businessman with multiple dilemmas and Tatsuya Nakadai (from yesterday's Harakiri) equals him playing the chief detective investigating the central crime and its aftermath. Kurosawa shows he's as adept at modern crime films (although this certainly isn't his first) as he is at his period adventure/dramas.
La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
; Art House Rating:

Fellini fashions his own completely-unique film about empty journalist Marcello (Marcello Mastroianni) who follows other empty people around Rome and writes up their lives for the even emptier "regular people" to feed upon in a way to forget about their own lives. (It kinda reminds me of what's happening now with Lindsay Lohan and Mel Gibson.) The film is incredibly episodic, and while most of it is very realistic, there are occasional flourishes where time and location seem to disappear effortlessly under Fellini's masterful direction. The film does eventually add up to something powerful, but while you're watching the entire three hours, I can understand how it might bother and/or bore some viewers, but for those willing to look carefully and connect the dots, the final few scenes are actually quite powerful in offering up Fellini's own interpretation of fellow Italian auteur Antonioni's theme of people living alone and unable to communicate. The fate of Marcello's friend Steiner (Alain Cuny) and that of the giant manta ray at the end could only be conceived by a man who was living in a world he felt was almost a vacuum yet deeply desired to communicate with humankind, however seemingly-haphazardly.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that Nico can be seen in the film. She has a very small part, and I suppose she's actually playing herself (her name is Nicolina), but many of the actors are actually playing characters with their own names. Anyway, if you've never noticed Nico in the movie, she has a scene in the car with Marcello and a few others and she begins to speak with a Teutonic accent, exactly the same way she "sings" on the Velvet Underground and Nico record. She is obviously speaking German, but when Marcello asks her what language it is, she responds "Eskimo". Not really too much to say, but something fun for those who care about such pop culture trivialities.

Here's my list:

1. Le révélateur - Philippe Garrel (by now it won't make it 100% and I was probably the only one who voted for it, so I'm revealing this one anyway - I hope it's not against the rules)
2. Last Year at Marienbad - Alain Resnais #43
3. WILL MAKE IT
4. Red Beard - Akira Kurosawa #60
5. Harakiri - Masaki Kobayashi #27
6. Naked Island - Kaneto Shindô (by now it won't make it 100% and I was probably the only one who voted for it, so I'm revealing this one anyway - I hope it's not against the rules)
7. Diamonds of the Night - Jan Nìmec (by now it won't make it 100% and I was probably the only one who voted for it, so I'm revealing this one anyway - I hope it's not against the rules)
8. WILL MAKE IT 100%
9. Andrey Rublyov - Andriej Tarkowski #55
10. Daises - Vìra Chytilová (by now it won't make it 100% and I was probably the only one who voted for it, so I'm revealing this one anyway - I hope it's not against the rules)
11. WILL MAKE IT 100%
12. Emotion - Nobuhiko Obayashi (by now it won't make it 100% and I was probably the only one who voted for it, so I'm revealing this one anyway - I hope it's not against the rules)
13. WILL MAKE IT 101%
14. 80% WON'T MAKE IT!
15. 95% WON'T MAKE IT!
16. 85% WON'T MAKE IT
17. 95% WON'T MAKE IT!
18. 80% WON'T MAKE IT BUT IF IT DOES ME AND MARK F WOULD BE VERY HAPPY
19. Hamlet - Grigori Kozintsev (by now it won't make it 100% and I was probably the only one who voted for it, so I'm revealing this one anyway - I hope it's not against the rules)
20. Through a Glass Darkly - Ingmar Bergman #81
21. WON'T MAKE IT 95%
22. Inherit the Wind - Stanley Kramer #64
23. WON'T MAKE IT 90%
24. Contempt - Jean-Luc Godard #65
25. Pasa¿erka - Andrzej Munk - one pointer

Out of the four one was on my list La Dolce Vita, which I had at #11. Very glad that it made it, I thought it was a maybe at this point. Love it a whole lot more than. 8 1/2 and imo it's the best Fellini.

Le Samoria is absolutely no substance, but the style is enough to keep it entertaining enough. Great use of colors. Kind of reminds me of The Conformist (1970), I would much rather re watch the latter though.

Haven't seen High & Low and THE Hustler, but should get to both soon

I had The Hustler very close to making it on my list, but there were a few other Paul Newman movies that I just had to have on my list and I couldn't exclude them. Hud was one of them. There's a few more that just have to make it.

Today I will try for more Tarkovsky...

Going to by my 3rd film from this director...
FAIL! Wrong thread!

A few more of my picks have made the list, since the last time I posted.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg was my number 17.
The great performances by the main players, the beautiful colors and the fantastic music by Michel Legrand make this a very pleasant film to watch. The reason why I personally love it so much, is because it tells a very simple story, while making the viewer experience every bit of emotional intensity and profoundness of it. Of course there are plenty of films with a similar plot, but seldom have I seen one that can make me care so deeply about the themes and fictional characters that are tackled and portrayed in it.
In my opinion, the main goal of a storyteller is not always to search for something new or refreshing to tell. That's almost impossible (or at least very difficult) to do, keeping in mind the vast amount of stories that already exist in this world. The most important thing is to make people actually think and feel, while keeping them constantly engaged. Of course I'd encourage people to look for interesting "new" plots and stories to bring out, but this film proves that an old tale about tragic romance can be just as refreshing if it hits the right notes. Atmosphere, effective context and the way a story is told has become way more important than the originality of the content for me.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is surely one of the most moving film experiences I ever had.

Peeping Tom was my number 22.
The sympathy this film shows for its main character is refreshingly disturbing and it's easy to understand why so many people were taken aback by it at the time of its release. It's probably one of the most ballsy films ever made and I highly respect it for that.
Besides that, Michael Powell is also simply a master of the visual. It's clear that he has an extremely rich cinematic vocabulary (Scorsese still regularly singles him out as one of his favorite directors of all time) and he uses it in extremely effective ways throughout this film. As a viewer who gets part of his satisfaction out of looking at how the director is visually trying to enhance the storytelling, this film was an absolute delight for me to witness.

Playtime was my number 10.
When looking at the sheer magnitude and the incredible attention to detail that went into every single aspect of this film, which in my opinion results in one of the most mesmerizing and oddly fulfilling film experiences ever (visually and substantively), I think the only right conclusion you can make is that this picture is a cinematic miracle that should be rewatched again and again over time in order to fully captivate its brilliance.

La Dolce Vita was my number 8.
I actually had three of Fellini's films on my list (tied with Ozu as the director with the most entries on my list). Here's what I said about this one in my Top 101 Thread:

36. La Dolce Vita (1960)

Before seeing this film, you might think that this is simply a large film that shows a glorified and beautiful version of Rome's nightlife spiced with some drama between the elitist characters. Well, in a way you wouldn't be completely wrong, but on the other hand, this film is also completely the opposite of that.

The film does bring us to some wonderful places and most of the time shows wealthy and handsome people partying and getting it on with eachother, but instead of romanticizing this lifestyle that many people always fantasize about so much, Fellini reveals the dark truth about what's beneath all the magnificent clothes, stylish clubs, expensive cars, liters of booze and evenings of sex...

In this world of careless partying and enormous wealth, it seems like noone is actually truly happy. Something seems to be wrong, but what could it possibly be? Don't these people have everything they can wish for?

The sad tragedy that Fellini exposes, is the fact that these characters are all stuck in a superficial reality they can't escape from. They're the people who seem to have everything, but all of them are looking for something "more" in life. True love, truthful connection, a purpose, something that will distract them from the senselessness of their existence and their way of living.
That's not everything, though. The real problem is the "can't escape" part. They are in a way addicted to the emptiness of their existence too. They know they're unhappy with their current status, but at the same time they're not strong, willing or capable enough to turn everything around anymore. They've lost all hope and simply keep going from one wild, but ultimately unfulfilling orgy to the next.

This film does a brilliant job at making the viewer understand the temptations that guide Marcello Mastroianni's character in the first place, but probably even more so the ultimate philosophical hangover he experpiences when he realizes he's wasting every bit of true potential within him. The title "La Dolce Vita" couldn't be more cynical...

AND YET this film is not really as depressing as I'm making it appear. Fellini knows that life is not black or white, that it's not complete doom and gloom, nor moonlight and roses. There's a sadness and darkness present in this picture, but don't let that distract you from all the sheer beauty and sweetness it also has to offer.

High and Low was my number 11.
As Holden already said, Kurosawa is way more than simply his (admittedly fantastic) period pieces. I actually started watching his modern day-set films (like Ikiru, Stray Dog and Drunken Angel) before getting to the samurai films he's best known for today amongst regular moviegoers.
I consider High and Low to be one of my top three Kurosawa films (from what I've seen so far). I agree with Sane when he says it's one of the best directed films of all time. The first third/half of the film, which is (almost) entirely set in one room, is just as engaging and visually interesting as the later parts of the film, in which we get to see the investigation unfold and explore the dark underbelly of the local society. Kurosawa really showcases in this film that he's one of the most brilliantly versatile and profound film directors that ever existed...

-------------------------

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Missed most of this week but it looks like i got a few of my heavy hitters in this week, YAY

#1 The Great Escape - my all time favorite from childhood and remains so. One of THE most re-watched films of them all for me.
#3 The Hustler - another big fav of mine
#8 Le Samourai - Got turned on to this one recently from multiple suggestions for the sixties and OH SO glad for it
#22 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - sarcastic, dark and brutal in its truth,

Here's how I've listed my picks that have made it so far:
#7 Hud
#10 Inherit the Wind
#11 The Great Escape
#12 Goldfinger
#14 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
#15 In the Heat of the Night
#17 Spartacus
#21 Charade
#23 The Haunting
#25 The Virgin Spring

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had La Dolce Vita at number 19. It was a very well made film. While I absolutely hate 8 1/2, I really enjoyed La Dolce Vita.

It's the tenth from my list to show up.

I've seen 31/78 so far.