Pick Your Favorite Performances from My Arbitrary List!

Tools    

Go Nuts!!!
15.38%
2 votes
Patricia Clarkson - High Art
15.38%
2 votes
Karolina Gruszka - Inland Empire
30.77%
4 votes
Marlon Brando - Apocalypse Now
15.38%
2 votes
Laura Linney - The Truman Show
15.38%
2 votes
Kim Novak - Vertigo
46.15%
6 votes
Ed Norton - American History X
15.38%
2 votes
Crispin Glover - River's Edge
38.46%
5 votes
Ralph Fiennes - Schindler's List
15.38%
2 votes
Robert Downey Jr. - Zodiac
30.77%
4 votes
Jack Nicholson - Chinatown
13 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Very random.

No thanks!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You're a Genius all the time
Originally Posted by BobbyB
Just to get discussion going about performances and why one may be more impressive than another.
Well, if you want a discussion, why don't you start it? What's your favorite performance on this very random list? Since you voted for all of them, we don't know. How about you give me your favorite and I'll tell you why I like Ray Fienne's performance more?

I don't really get all the backlash this thread is getting. I mean, really, who cares?

But then again, yeah, what's the point of it anyway?

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Your comparing apples with oranges with donuts with pumpkin pie with BBQ Roast Chicken pizza.
So?

You're telling me that because Ralph Fiennes played a caustic Nazi soldier, it's impossible to say that his performance was better or worse than Marlon Brando playing a Captain in Vietnam going crazy?

Just because it's different doesn't mean you can't say one is better than the other. Plus, I'm not necessarily asking you to say which are better, just which ones of the ones I listed do you really like?

Really not that complicated...

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Well, if you want a discussion, why don't you start it? What's your favorite performance on this very random list? Since you voted for all of them, we don't know. How about you give me your favorite and I'll tell you why I like Ray Fienne's performance more?
Well, for me, it's Nicholson in Chinatown. A brilliant actor, but it's just such a different performance from any of his others and he had this swagger and invincibility to him that I thought wouldn't have been there had anyone else played the character.

One of my favorite performances of all time. But I also really like all the other performances on there.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
While I agree that you can't really compare because very role is different. If this were about who has portrayed the best Truman Capote then I can vote on Hoffman.

But, for the hell of it. Norton is AHX gave the most heartbreaking and chilling performance. So he gets my vote.

Suspect's Reviews

You're a Genius all the time
Originally Posted by Swedish Chef
I don't really get all the backlash this thread is getting.
I now understand said backlash. As I settled in to say why I prefer Fienne's performance to Nicholson's, I realized it was impossible. Mostly because, yeah, they're completely different in every way imaginable. So I'm going to have to withdraw my offer to tell you why I like Fienne's performance more. I guess all I can say is that I just do.

Sorry, Bob.

Originally Posted by Swedish Chef
But then again, yeah, what's the point of [this thread], anyway?
Well, there doesn't seem to be one...

I'm so introspective!

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
*SIGH*

The point is only to discuss performances of actors and actresses.

Jeez...what's the point of the Oscars? Javier Bardem's performance in No Country and Hoffman's in Charlie Wilson's War...there's just no way in hell that you can say one is better than the other.

Oscars...what a stupid idea

Jeez...what's the point of the Oscars? Javier Bardem's performance in No Country and Hoffman's in Charlie Wilson's War...there's just no way in hell that you can say one is better than the other.

Oscars...what a stupid idea
*DOUBLE SIGH*

Well, at the very least they are bound together by being from films released in the same year. You want to talk about performances from a specific time, a specific genre or even a particular type of character, I'll play. But a haphazard slapdash that you won't even contribute your own thoughts to...sorry.

Just some random performances I love. Which ones do you like most?
I couldn't make a comparision. I've seen only three of those movies all the way through and I didn't like those three. Had a major crush on Kim Novak in my early teens but I'm probably the only person in this bunch who just cannot stand Vertigo.