The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I put off watching Manchester by the Sea for some time, prior to it making our list. I have a wide range of thoughts on this film that I'm struggling to put into words, so excuse me if this is a bit rambly. I'll just write as the thoughts come to me. Maybe some slight spoilers as well

On the dramatic element: when I read other reviews it seems others are impacted by this film on a much deeper level than I was. This puts you through some of the most gut-wrenching possibilities of life, so a deeply emotional response makes sense. However, I feel like immediately I adapted the north-eastern tropes attitude of, Well f*ck that's life, the attitude of the characters. Perhaps that can be viewed as a directorial success. It really does throw you right into this Maine town and lifestyle. Where people seem to be mean, but are deeply kind. The opposite of the south. The piece is incredibly human & it's not hard to identify with any of the personalities. So much so, I think my reaction began matching what I saw on the screen.

Overall it's a very human glimpse into a simple, yet layered, life. Not overly ambitious, but genuinely rooted. There's a pretty wide range of interactions and complexities that are thrown at the audience. All in a very shrugged-off and stoic way. Even the most gut-wrenching scenes- the hospital & the police station- they never force too much. Relies on the audience to do most of the work, which I respect.

Obviously great performances all around guided by a masterful script. I definitely would rank this as one of the must-watches of the decade.

+

Two really good films today

I don't have any thoughts written on The Favourite but it's a very unique and funny film, with a handful of surprisingly dramatic moments. Lanthimos is an absolute master, and him and Aster are leading modern cinema. My favorite of his, The Killing of a Sacred Deer sadly will not make this list- but should've. I'd give this one a

Moonlight:

Moonlight is a 3 phase depiction of the development of gay, socially awkward, black teenager Chiron- in an impoverished, urban Miami setting. The films story and setting naturally are a meditation stemming from the director and writer, Jenkins, background. However the films central point can be applied to all walks of life. The underlying questions of the film come from personal identity, how much we create to fit in with our environment and how much is an unchangeable nature. In the first phase of the film (I. Little) Chrirons presumed gay identity is challenged by his mother, but beyond that at a young age it's apparent that he must make personal decisions on how to present himself to fit into his environment. His newly found drug pushing father figure, Juan tells him "at one point you gotta decide for yourself who you want to be". His best friend "Kev" questions why he always lets the other kids pick on him, and asserts that he has to show himself as hard. However by chapter III of the film, when it seems Chiron finally takes these pieces of advice to heart, Kev once again challenges him by asking "Who are you?". Jenkins creates an extremely humanist piece with Moonlight- it's clear that Jaun and Kevin also have conflicts in identity. Between putting on a hard facade or sticking to their kind nature- both of them successfully balance both without losing themselves but being able to fit into their environment. On the contrary whether in adolescence, youth, or as an adult Chiron was never able to find a balance in the two. How much a person is the mask they wear and how much of their identity just comes from natural character is a central question of the film.

This film reminds me quite a bit the 2011 independent picture Pariah focusing on a lesbian, black teenager struggling with sexual expression in her conservative household. Both have similar raw screenplays that create extremely realistic, non-sensationalist, films. However while Moonlight has several dramatic scenes between Chiron and his mom, the questions of identity center around the relationships one build, by choice or not, within the setting they're raised in. The most dramatic and touching scenes of the film for me however were those when a young Chiron begins questioning why his mom acts the way she does, and is forced to realize that she's a drug addict. Why Jenkins makes this such a great humanist piece is he never depicts the mother as evil or the sole cause of the troubles, but it's an honest depiction of her as well. She's a sick woman, completely out of control of her actions. Doesn't excuse anything but explains everything. I can't say whether this film is deserving of the best picture or not, I haven't seen much of the competition including La La Land. I will say this film has many points to accolade including the cinematography and screenplay. A film about a niche struggle for the artists life but that has themes and meanings that apply to many.

+

Watched Moonlight recently and thought it was great, hated The Favourite when I watched it a while back.

32/40 seen.

Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, 2016)

A beautiful sensual film, as its title suggest painting an erotic masterfully crafted portrait that really is packed with emotion. Gorgeous and affecting, I can see why so many people love this.
The Favourite

Lanthimos continues his mission to repulse the audience through the degradation of his actors. I am unsure why his vulgar images are being lapped up by critics, who like him seem to have a propensity for weirdness without actually saying much. The scene where a group of men pelt a naked man with tomatoes until he eventually falls over felt like an appropriate analogy for his enjoyment of human suffering.

I hated Dogtooth too and don't like these weird films, filled with humiliation and weird things, shot in what the director thinks is an "arty" style.

I have liked all of Yorgos Lanthimos' films thus far, but my favorite is The Favourite. It was number eleven on my ballot (fifteen points). Yorgos' twisted sensibility and dark humor works perfectly for a costume drama like no other, centered by three wonderful performances especially Olivia Colman. Devilish, dirty, demented, and delightful. That makes five of mine to appear.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
11. The Favourite (#61)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
21. Room (#97)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
Ok, color me shocked.
I have not seen either film but those are two that I considered myself as being almost unqualified to submit a list for the decade over not having seen. By nearly every account I've heard, those two are among the very best of the decade and I expected both to be top-25 if not top-10, so I am kinda speechless right now.
I know more than a couple people who have Moonlight as their No.1 and obviously it made S&S's Top-100 All Time, so to imagine that there are 61 better films just from that decade coming...
I guess now I can relax and just watch it since the main reason I've been putting it off is making sure that I am in a headspace to receive a Great Film. With 60 more movies coming, several of which I already know I don't even consider very good, and with as many ballots at work here as there are making this something like a real consensus, maybe Moonlight was just truly overhyped?

Ok, color me shocked.
I have not seen either film but those are two that I considered myself as being almost unqualified to submit a list for the decade over not having seen. By nearly every account I've heard, those two are among the very best of the decade and I expected both to be top-25 if not top-10, so I am kinda speechless right now.
I know more than a couple people who have Moonlight as their No.1 and obviously it made S&S's Top-100 All Time, so to imagine that there are 61 better films just from that decade coming...
I guess now I can relax and just watch it since the main reason I've been putting it off is making sure that I am in a headspace to receive a Great Film. With 60 more movies coming, several of which I already know I don't even consider very good, and with as many ballots at work here as there are making this something like a real consensus, maybe Moonlight was just truly overhyped?
Yeah, I was surprised that Moonlight didn't make it higher.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I've seen both of the todays reveals. Nothing special, I can say:

#62. Moonlight (2016) - absolute cartel commission ... anyway, it is ok
- (57/100)

#61. The Favourite (2018) - commercial production to feed the crowd, using attractive camera lenses and exploiting the Woody's creation (Emma Stone) + the good Colman and Weisz aiming to make of the exotic Yorgos Lanthimos a broadly fashionable product.
+ (62/100)
---

the Woody's creation (Emma Stone)
You've said this twice about Stone and, to be blunt, it's kind of gross. Emma Stone was doing just fine before Irrational Man or Magic in the Moonlight.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, wait, wut?
Stone was already kind of a star before her first Allen project and she's only been in two, and she's been nominated for three Oscars and won one not in Allen projects. In fact, Innaritu cast Stone before he even got funding for Birdman, for which she was nominated for Best Supporting, which pre-dates her casting by Allen in their first film together.
I don't understand where this idea is coming from.

60: Train to Busan

59: The Lighthouse
Dammit, those are some great guesses!

60: Train to Busan

59: The Lighthouse
I swear there are times I do well with lateral thinking stuff. And yet I look at these clues and I'm like "Is there a movie called Empty Train? Or Cloud House?"

You've said this twice about Stone and, to be blunt, it's kind of gross. Emma Stone was doing just fine before Irrational Man or Magic in the Moonlight.
Yeah, wait, wut?
Stone was already kind of a star before her first Allen project and she's only been in two, and she's been nominated for three Oscars and won one not in Allen projects. In fact, Innaritu cast Stone before he even got funding for Birdman, for which she was nominated for Best Supporting, which pre-dates her casting by Allen in their first film together.
I don't understand where this idea is coming from.
Weird, especially considering that she already showed up here with a film where she was the lead *before* being on any Woody Allen film

Snowpiercer was my initial guess.

Second one, I’d say Lighthouse is a great guess.

Snowpiercer makes a lot of sense. I think Train to Busan might be a bit too obvious.

Massively surprised that Moonlight showed up this early. It was my #1. To me, it's a perfect example of great filmmaking from pretty much every angle. From script, direction, performances, cinematography; everything in it is at the top of the game. Here is a link to my review with more complete thoughts.

I liked The Favourite a lot, and had it at some point on my first or second list, but didn't make it. Still, every performance is great, and the film walks that fine line between tragedy and comedy that is so hard to balance.

So, here's where I'm at...

Seen: 32/40

My ballot:  

Victim of The Night
Massively surprised that Moonlight showed up this early. It was my #1. To me, it's a perfect example of great filmmaking from pretty much every angle. From script, direction, performances, cinematography; everything in it is at the top of the game. Here is a link to my review with more complete thoughts.
Exactly. Even though I haven't even seen it yet, I assumed enough people had it as their No.1 or at least Top-5 that it would be WAY up the list.
Like I said, color me shocked.