CiCi's horror reviews!

→ in
Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Okay, I know I said I'd return to my watchlist (and believe me, I will be very soon!) but Film4 are having a frightfest season filled with horrors I haven't seen before. Tonight, in fact literally right now, they're showing Maniac so I'll be reviewing that next and then maybe:
Dead of Night
The Squad
The Pact
[REC]2

Although some of them start extremely late, so I may not get round to seeing them all!

Without looking, I believe that In the Mood for Love is Sane's favorite movie, and is already on my watchlist. If by chance I'm mistaken, I'll put it there based on your review.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Review Flower ans Snake (1974), please.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Without looking, I believe that In the Mood for Love is Sane's favorite movie, and is already on my watchlist. If by chance I'm mistaken, I'll put it there based on your review.
This is definitely my favourite ever film, I adored every minute (once I worked out the ending) I'd definitely recommend watching it!

Review Flower ans Snake (1974), please.
I've looked it up and I'm quite scared to, I'll add it on to the watch list though!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I didn't enjoy In the Mood for Love that much, but Chunkging Express (same director) is one of my favorite movies.
Poppy Hill is really good
Oh I've heard loads of good things about that film! It sounds wonderful

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I wasn't aware this was a remake until after I had finished watching it, so I apologise for having not checked out the orginal version prior to this one. Anyway, today's review is of the 2012 re-make of Maniac

The plot follow the eponymous maniac, Frank (Elijah Wood), as he stalks young women in order to murder and subsequently scalp them to nail their locks onto mannequins that he obsesses over. His life, however, begins to change when he meets a young French artist, Anna D'Antoni (Nora Arnezeder).

Positives
The direction was much better than I expected it to be, I initially expected this film to be of mediocre direction as soon as I looked at the title, which is hardly brimming with imagination and creativity. But I was wrong, Franck Khalfoun, did a terrific job. Firstly, the vast majority of this film is viewed through Point of View shots from the killer's perspective, the only time this doesn't happen is when Frank looks into mirrors, which doesn't happen too often, it was an interesting touch, and although many films have included point of view shots from the antagonist's perspective, I think this might be the first to fully expand and elaborate and do this for the duration of the film, and I really liked it. Also, this film was quite beautiful in parts, in relation to the setting. This was filmed in Los Angeles, and although I've never been, I think it did marvellously well in capturing the luminosity and vibrancy of the city at night. Sadly, the only photo that I could find that remotely reflects this is the one below, but honestly, it was an enticing but unusual element of the film, again, that I totally did not expect.

Finally, the director manages to portray Frank's debilitating mental illness in an all too real way. For example, when Frank is on a date,the woman accompanying him begins talking about something and blood begins to trickle down her face, falling from her scalp, whilst she doesn't notice it at all, it's unsettling to say the least, and rather chilling.

Elijah Wood was terrific, when I noticed he was in the cast, I was rather apprehensive because he does seem rather more equipped to playing more innocent characters, but I was totally proved wrong here. He was amazing, and his performance is all the more impressive because a lot of the time, we only hear his character, we barely ever see him. Therefore, he has to convey mania, psychotic qualities, coyness, persuasion and so much more, and he does it brilliantly. The supporting cast was mixed, although the women tended to outperform the men, but that's most likely because they had more to do here. Out of the female victims, Megan M.Duffy and Genevieve Alexandra were the best, because they created truly believable people with realistic qualities, and they were far from stupid, especially the latter one, also pictured above.

I liked the retro soundtrack here too. It actually reminded me somewhat of Goblin, the band who worked for Dario Argento for a considerable length of time, I'm probably making this up though nevertheless, whether they replicate them or not, the soundtrack was good, and did enhance what was occuring on screen, it wasn't an amazing soundtrack, but it was far from bad, and is definitely above average.

Negatives
I didn't like the plot. It felt very very forced, and it all ended rather quickly. I did understand the whole dynamic/metaphor with the mannequins as well, with them being faceless and inanimate beings that Frank can sometimes not distinguish between real women etc. but I just didn't care for it at all, because it was quite a big element of the film, and I never understood why he was so invested in them, in fact, his whole dynamic with women is difficult to understand, because it looks as though he hates all of them, but he also appreciates their beauty and wants a relationship? I didn't understand it really, and it's never revealed in great explicit depth either. Going back to the mannequins, Frank was obsessed with his mother (America Olivo) also, why is it every time I see her in something, she is always having sex? Anyway, there was never any implication that his mother cared for the shop or the mannequins, and considering all of Frank's problems and obsessions stem from the way his mother treated him during his childhood, this was one element I just didn't get... at all. Messy, is probably the word I'd use to describe the writing here sadly.

I didn't care for Nora Arnezeder, who plays Anna, I thought she was Polish or something when she first spoke, but apparently she's a dead ringer for the French accent. Now I haven't heard too many French accents, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but none of them sounded anything like the way she spoke, but that was a only a slight annoyance. She was okay in parts, actually she was very good when she realises Frank is killing everyone, but for the other 90 minutes she's on screen, she's so boring and monotone.
She wasn't the only let down in terms of acting. Jan Broberg, who plays an ageing agent called Rita, was a bit embarrassing when she was acting drunk, and all of the males except for Elijah Wood were awful, as in Tommy Wiseau bad, for example Anna's boyfriend, who is obviously meant to be straight... well, put it this way, I bat for the other team and I know ther people who do as well, but literally none of them are as camp or flamboyant as he was, maybe he was going through an identity crisis, but it was never told to us, so I was so perplexed when Anna introduced him as her boyfriend, it was probably the most shocking part of the film, and when you watch women getting scalped all over the place, it was a pretty big shock. Overall, it's a small detail, but for a film that tries so hard to be serious and believable, I can't understand why they'd allow the authenticity to fade away via small details like over the top acting.

The ending was mixed for me. Despite my criticisms of Anna, I didn't want her to die, so when she did, I was quite shocked, because she endured quite an ordeal, although I felt as though they went for a depressing ending to be seen as brave, but this may also be because every plot point of this film felt so forced that it was inevitable this aspect would too.

Conclusion
I feel as though this is an above average horror film, with Elijah Wood delivering a terrific performance. But there was quite a bit of weak acting, some of which was really dire, and the plot felt so so forced. It's difficult to rate this one, I'm not quite sure how I feel, I did really enjoy some elements, but I still have mixed feelings overall because of the things I've explained above. Also, for a remake, this is actually pretty good. But, I'll give this

The original is a very different film from the remake, so you get a pass on not having seen the original first. I'm not crazy about either film, but they're alright.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
The original is a very different film from the remake, so you get a pass on not having seen the original first. I'm not crazy about either film, but they're alright.
Well, looking at the Wikipedia pages for both, they do seem quite different I have to admit I doubt I'll check it out now though, thanks for letting me know!

I've been interested in both Maniac's but never enough to actually sit down and watch them.

I was mostly interested because of one single aspect about each of them; the original has some kind of crazy shotgun blast to the head, which I've seen on youtube and it made me interested. And the new version has this whole point-of-view thing, which seems cool.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I've been interested in both Maniac's but never enough to actually sit down and watch them.

I was mostly interested because of one single aspect about each of them; the original has some kind of crazy shotgun blast to the head, which I've seen on youtube and it made me interested. And the new version has this whole point-of-view thing, which seems cool.
The point of view thing worked really well here, I must admit, but it also had a lot of flaws too, just watch a couple of minutes of it on Youtube

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Mianiac (2012) must be my guilty pleasure movie I really liked it. Haven't seen original too. Soundtrack was great (Especially "Juno"). Visually cool. Didn't have any problems with POV.
Basically, that's everything I liked about this film, and I did quite like it, but I couldn't get past some things like her accent.

Totally agree about the Russian accents too

More good reviews CiCi particularly In The Mood for Love . Have you watched many other Chinese films?

Just a warning I always say when I see people love Battle Royale - don't bother wasting your time with BRII it's very poor.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'll read your Maniac review at some point CiCi, film is currently residing on the DVR for me to take a squint at some time. I'm not going in with high hopes anyway so seeing your rating at the bottom has changed nothing
In honesty, the things I hated may not be such a problem to you, it's quite subjective. But the POV was really interesting and it has quite a few things to like! But yeah, there is plenty of other stuff out there better than this I'm not going to lie

More good reviews CiCi particularly In The Mood for Love . Have you watched many other Chinese films?

Just a warning I always say when I see people love Battle Royale - don't bother wasting your time with BRII it's very poor.
Thanks Christine! It's my favourite film, so I was also going to massively praise it
From China I've mainly just seen martial arts films, so Hero Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers. Although I really need to watch Chungking Express and 2046 really soon!

I know about BR2, no one seems to like it, so I'll just avoid it, the first film and book were perfection on their own, so I doubt I'll ever watch it! Thanks for checking in though!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Today's review is of the 2012 film The Pact. And in all honesty, this will probably be quite a short review, because the less said about this film, the better.

The plot follows Annie Barlow (Caity Lotz) who returns to her mother's home in order to attend her funeral. However, her sister mysteriously vanished within the house and supernatural happenings begin occurring whilst Annie herself is still occupying the house, which forces her to seek the assistance of a police officer, Bill Creek (Casper Van Dien).

Positives
Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and skip this bit.

Negatives
This film commits the worst crime a film possibly can; it bores. I can't remember the last time I have been so unbelievably bored watching a film. After 5 minutes I began checking my phone, and it was down to an expansive variety of reasons.

Firstly the acting, it ranges from barely tolerable to god awful. Caity Lotz wore the same mildly confused, mildly moody teenage expression across her face for 90% of her scenes, it was like she was a blonde Kristen Stewart, and she did nothing to make me care about her character and what she was enduring at all. Casper Van Dien sounds like he's trying to impersonate Christian Bale's Batman with his comically low, gruff voice, which just sounded ridiculous. Kathleen Rose Perkins, who portrays another vanishing victim, had about the same amount of charisma as a teaspoon. So I'm guessing the casting directors were high or something when casting the roles here, because there was barely a flicker of any talent whatsoever from any member of the cast. Nevertheless, Haley Hudson who portrays a sort of medium, was actually pretty impressive, so at least one good decision was made in regards to the proficiency of the actors here.

The direction was a bit of a mess too, there is literally a two minute scene where all we see is a woman tossing and turning in her bed, occasionally sighing. Two minutes. The scene was so unnecessarily long, and it was marked probably the 15th time I returned to my phone, and we were only about 30 minutes in at this stage. The film also relies on jump scares too much, and I hate jump scares. One of the reasons is because I struggle to control my bladder, but also because it's such a lazy tool to provoke a response from the audience, and it signifies to me that there's not much else going on that they're expecting to frighten us, and it's a last resort mechanism.

The writing was a bit daft too. For example, when it begins to look as though someone is intruding in Annie's house, she's standing in the kitchen, a room commonly known for possessing many knives that could conveniently be used as a weapon. But does Annie pick one up? No, instead she runs around her house for a bit... However, she does eventually pick a knife up, but even so, for a grown woman, you'd expect her to be more intuitive and sensible. Additionally, the whole "the ghosts aren't attacking you, they're trying to help you" has been done before, so I wasn't surprised at this revelation. Again, nothing was going on to make me interested, the characters were dull, the story wasn't original nor was it enticing, the dialogue was okay at best, it was just pretty shocking really, and most definitely not in a good way.

I would have included the ending within the positive section of this review, but they totally ruin it at the end. But, before that, it was tense and a dreadful ambience was established and maintained throughout this part. The concept of using a woman's hair to tie and restrain her to something was something I found quite inventive, and that was certainly an interesting aspect. Anyway, what really aggravated me was in the following moments we eventually see Annie overcome her tormentor, and it looks like Annie's life returns to normal, and it was redeeming itself a bit. Then, during the last few seconds, they use another silly, and massively perplexing jump scare that juxtaposes everything that's just gone on.

Conclusion

How this film holds a 5.8 score on IMDb will be one of the biggest mysteries of my life I think, for I found this film to contain very few points of merit, and this has to be the most boring film I have watched all year. There was a spot of brilliant acting though, and the ending was pretty good until the final scene. But I'm going to have to be strict and give it, because of the silly cliches, the stupid actions made by the characters, and the horrific acting by every other member of the cast, a:

Well, most movies between 5-5.9 on IMDb are usually not worth it, so this doesn't surprise me.

And when I read about this film way back when, I wasn't at all interested, so I'm glad it appears I didn't miss anything.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Well, most movies between 5-5.9 on IMDb are usually not worth it, so this doesn't surprise me.

And when I read about this film way back when, I wasn't at all interested, so I'm glad it appears I didn't miss anything.
I'd rather watch The Room because at least that's good for a laugh. But I was so astonished, this has got to be one of the worst horror films I've ever seen

A little harsh imo but yeah it's not really up to much.
Sometimes honesty is the best policy

That's not very family friendly.
The topic of my thread isn't exactly family friendly either

Its not just IMDB, the RT and Metacritic scores are above 50 for it too. Fun review to read either way.
I'm glad you liked it and I really do not know how, there was practically nothing to like!

I wasn't a huge fan or anything, but there was some nice tension going on. I thought the scene with the woman in bed was fine, and at the very least I've certainly seen worse (I don't know if you've seen Devil's Due, if you haven't don't, but there's a similar scene with a woman eating meat from a deli counter. At least this one built to a payoff later on). Also, as somebody who rarely watches supernatural horror, I hadn't really seen the 'ghosts are actually good guys twist', so I thought it was clever.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I wasn't a huge fan or anything, but there was some nice tension going on. I thought the scene with the woman in bed was fine, and at the very least I've certainly seen worse (I don't know if you've seen Devil's Due, if you haven't don't, but there's a similar scene with a woman eating meat from a deli counter. At least this one built to a payoff later on). Also, as somebody who rarely watches supernatural horror, I hadn't really seen the 'ghosts are actually good guys twist', so I thought it was clever.
I've heard of Devil's Due, it was released not long ago right? It got slammed if I remember rightly, so thanks for the reminder!

I can't remember where I've seen that twist before, might have been a TV series, but I've certainly seen it been used before, so I guess it was only natural that I wasn't taken aback by it.

I agree as well, I thought the end was quite tense, but they spoilt that completely by that lame jump scare at the end