Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
X -Men : Days of Future Past

(Singer, 2014)

My Dinner with Andre (Louis Malle, 1981)

Batman Begins (Christopher Nolan, 2005)

Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch (Robert Vince, 2002)

Air Buddies (Robert Vince, 2006)

I am usually a Ron Howard apologist but this is about as bad as people were saying. Howard's storytelling ability is here, which makes it a watchable movie but nothing more. There are two scenes in particular that are supposed to carry the emotional weight of the film and they fell totally flat for me. Which means I had no investment at all. The visuals are really not going to hold up on this thing either. I am not a guy to pick apart CGI, so you know it is pretty poor here.

Very well written as you would expect from Baumbach. I like all the characters and the central story. As enjoyable and as easy of a watch as this was, I would have liked more laughs. Reminds me a bit of Dazed And Confused in that way.

Will Ferrell has a criterion?!?
I think about that movie everytime I hear the name too. What the hell is wrong with us? At least we know why we are the site mainstreamers.

Why were you watching the Air Bud movies?
Why does anyone watch an Air Bud movie but to see dogs playing sports, while a bunch of adult actors humiliate themselves by acting like drooling toddlers. Seventh Inning Fetch in particular has got to be some sort of masterpiece of kitsch.

Why does anyone watch an Air Bud movie but to see dogs playing sports
I see. Now I understand why I've never seen any of them. I'm still baffled as to why anyone else would, though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
How would you compare it to Son of Saul, mark?
I haven't seen Son of Saul yet, but I'll get to it in a few days.

There are a lot of great feelings that those of us who call ourselves cinephiles get. I think one of the best is when a movie is pretty much everything you expected but still exceeds your expectations in every way by just being pure cinema. This story is very simple but told beautifully, with great cinematography and an amazing score. When the conflict of the movie does finally come we are so squarely on Eilis side, which makes the conflict emotionally resonate. The ending is sweet and fabulous. Ronan was really fantastic. Very good film.

Del Toro is a master of visuals. Unfortunately he is a master of nothing else in this one. The script is so damn clunky. Any more lines with double meanings and I might have lost my popcorn. The story is dull and he really doesn't do himself any favors by continuing to cast motorcycle gang leaders.

Brooklyn is a good movie, glad you liked it.

I don't really like Del Toro. I'm not surprised there was little of value in that besides visuals.

Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Glad you enjoyed it so much Sean. It seems to have gotten a fair bit of love on here. I really want to watch it again at some point soon

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Treachery Rides the Range (Frank McDonald, 1936)

Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to Be Said? (Keith Truesdell, 2011)

On Dress Parade (William Clemens, 1939)
+
Burning Bush (Agnieska Holland, 2013)
+ 237 min.

In 1969, Prague student Jan Palach sets himself on fire to protest the repressive communist-occupying regime which, in return, starts the police to search for what they’re certain are fellow protesters.
Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison (Crane Wilbur, 1951)

Love Is on the Air (Nick Grinde, 1937)

La Fiesta de Santa Barbara (Natalie Kalmus [Technicolor Director], 1935)

Victor Frankensein (Paul McGuigan, 2015)

Medical student James McAvoy shows his experiment to hunchback circus clown Daniel Radcliffe who suggests some improvements on wiring the optic nerves.
Bubbles (Roy Mack, 1930)

The True Story of Lynn Stuart (Lewis Seiler, 1958)
-
Tomahawk Trail (Lesley Selander, 1957)

Lilies of the Field (Ralph Nelson, 1963)
+

Baptist handyman Sidney Poitier teaches the East European Catholic nuns who have transplanted themselves to the Arizonan desert English by TPR and a song; against his better judgment, he agrees to build them a chapel.
Cold Comes the Night (Tze Chun, 2013)

Wild Rose (Sun Yu, 1932)
83 min.
The Valachi Papers (Terence Young, 1972)

From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses (Rüdiger Suchsland, 2015)
-

Documentary posits that the rise of Nazism may be traced in German film is dubious but contains great footage, for example Fritz Lang’s Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler.
A Pig Across Paris aka Four Bags Full (Claude Autant-Lara, 1956)

Shooting Fish (Stefan Schwartz, 1997)

Father (José María de Orbe, 2010)
-
Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015)

Harrowing depiction of Hell on Earth at the crematoriums of Auschwitz follows one Sonderkommando (Géza Röhrig), whose own time is about up, and who attempts to bury a murdered boy with a rabbi reciting Kaddish.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015)
WARNING: "Son of Saul" spoilers below
Well, it's a great movie, but many people simply don't get it. I heard some guys complaining about the main protagonist's acting. They said it was wooden and his face didn't show any emotion.
For me this is one of the points of the movie. The hero is such a bressonian character and it's even justified, not like in Bresson's films, in which people are emotionless mannequins, just because it's Bresson's style. Saul shows no emotions, because war and the hell of the camp have completely bleached him of these emotions. He's not devoid of emotions per se, it's just that, you know, all this camp stuff does no longer 'impress' him. He knows he will die, so he makes up this quest of burying his alleged son. He is almost like a living dead, like Dante taking a walk in Hell. And it's until the very end of the movie, when he escapes the camp and then sitting in this little hut sees a child and then smiles. In this very moment he restores his humanity and even though he didn't succeed in burying the child, he still won. His main goal, although by different means had been reached, and so he could die in peace.

People probably expected something like The Chekist (which is a masterpiece btw) with disturbing in-your-face violence that will shock them quite literally, but got Bresson directing Come and See with Gus van Sant as the cinematographer (the movie's camera work reminded me of Elephant - the camera constantly following the protagonist).