STAR WARS Trilogy Box Set

Tools    

Is this worth collecting if you're a Star Wars collector?
50.00%
3 votes
YES, very rare find if MINT never opened
0%
0 votes
NO, was and never will be worth anything in value
16.67%
1 votes
YES, but not worth more than it's original purchase value of $99
33.33%
2 votes
NO, not worth a penny, VHS is obsolete
6 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Came across a Star Wars Trilogy pack from back in '91 or '92.
Apparently worth $100 back then, is it worth anything nowadays?

STAR WARS TRILOGY
(FOX Video Cat.#0656, VHS)
Special Letterbox Collector’s Edition

MINT condition ***NEVER OPENED*** 4 VHS box set!!!
Deluxe Holographic Gift Box - Full-grain textured blue coloured case features a stunning hologram portrait of the “Star Wars” characters.
All three ORIGINAL letterboxed versions of the movies (not the later CGI "enhanced" editions) plus "From Star Wars to Jedi" making of video.
Also includes "George Lucas Creative Impulse" soft-cover book (abridged version-48 pages by Charles Champlin).
Every set came with a stiff-paper “Certificate of Authenticity” with graphics and a “thank you” message signed by George Lucas.

Was wondering if it was actually worth buying as a collectable
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	STAR WARS - Trilogy MINT [VHS - Widescreen Video Collector's Edition] COVER.jpg
Views:	9379
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	6846   Click image for larger version

Name:	STAR WARS - Trilogy MINT [VHS - Widescreen Video Collector's Edition] INSIDE.jpg
Views:	1571
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	6847  

Don't know as to its value but the damn thing looks really cool - almost like an old PC game. How much is it going for now?

Don't know as to its value but the damn thing looks really cool - almost like an old PC game. How much is it going for now?
It's listed for $300 Cdn

I still have my copy of this. It was the first time I'd seen a letterboxed VHS. The "Making of" special is pretty good, but it focuses a lot more on "Jedi" than the other two, since it was produced at the time "Jedi" was being released. The book is pretty good, too. I've held on to mine because I bought the first DVD set when it came out and refused to buy them again just for the original version DVDs that are basically the same thing as these videos. If they ever clean up the originals for a DVD release, I may consider getting rid of it, but not until then.

I still have my copy of this. It was the first time I'd seen a letterboxed VHS. The "Making of" special is pretty good, but it focuses a lot more on "Jedi" than the other two, since it was produced at the time "Jedi" was being released. The book is pretty good, too. I've held on to mine because I bought the first DVD set when it came out and refused to buy them again just for the original version DVDs that are basically the same thing as these videos. If they ever clean up the originals for a DVD release, I may consider getting rid of it, but not until then.
I think they may be doing some artifact removal on the originals for the new upcoming Blu-ray release. I've heard the transfers are looking great and some of the previously unreleased deleted scenes are supposed to be spectacular.

Not a fan of Star Wars. The original was good, the rest were subpar.

Damn, I would kill for an original VHS box set of the Star Wars trilogy. At least I still have my Return of the Jedi bed sheets... =)

Why don't you buy the 8-track tape of the soundtrack while you're at it. =p

I wouldn't buy it no matter how much I loved SW.

No, its not worth it. You can get these films online, but you have to... (gasp!) download them. I have them on my HD right now. It was a wonderful fan made collection called the Rebel Collection. The three films in their original format and untouched, in all their grainy, cheesy, glorious goodness.

If you send me an envelope with only $50 in it I'll be happy to tell you where to get them. Sounds like you just saved yourself 50 bucks eh?