Movie Reviews by Mose

→ in
Tools    

Rather than start numerous threads of my brief reviews I thought I'd consolidate them all into this one thread. I am always trying to improve as a film critic so please feel free to comment and/or criticize grammar, structure, etc. I'm interested in any/all constructive criticism so please don’t hold back 

Before I begin, here’s a brief paragraph from my website to let people know where I’m coming from.

Whether it's a new release or a classic from the vault, Toefuzz.com has you covered. Our system of brief, or capsule, movie reviews recognizes the value of time and is geared towards conveying our thoughts on a particular film in a brief and concise manner. We will always consider ourselves to be movie lovers first and foremost and realize that time spent reading and writing reviews only detracts from the time available for watching movies, and isn't that what life's all about?

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Garden State

Zach Braff's screenwriting and directorial debut stars himself as Andrew Largeman, a young man living in L.A. whose career as an actor has been somewhat stunted by the drug induced haze he finds himself living in. It’s not until he meets the charming, self-effacing Sam (Natalie Portman) that he begins to realize there is more to life than placidly getting by. Featuring a stellar Graduate style soundtrack, Garden State quickly establishes itself as one of my generation’s most auspicious coming of age films and one that is likely to be “the beginning of something really big”.

8/10

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Mose
Whether it's a new release or a classic from the vault, Toefuzz.com has you covered. Our system of brief, or capsule, movie reviews recognizes the value of time and is geared towards conveying our thoughts on a particular film in a brief and concise manner. We will always consider ourselves to be movie lovers first and foremost and realize that time spent reading and writing reviews only detracts from the time available for watching movies, and isn't that what life's all about?
10 bucks says a little Jewish man made that slogan up for you.

A little Jewish man?

Neutral Milk Hotel
I saw Garden State. Very Good movie.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I love the name Rico

Neutral Milk Hotel
Originally Posted by Mose
I love the name Rico
Why Thank You. Since you love that about me could you give me a positive feedback report?

history *is* moralizing
now THAT is disinterested love!

Dang reputation whores

Mean Streets

It's odd how easy it is to review films generally regarded as being unimportant (Billy Madison, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, etc) and how difficult it can be to review important works such as Scorsese's Mean Streets... Of course things are even more difficult given the rather passionate Scorsese addicts who frequent this site I'll quit rambling and get to the review.

One of Martin Scorsese’s earlier works, Mean Streets brilliantly deals with the problems faced by a group of low level hoodlums in New York City, paying particular attention to spiritual Mafioso Charlie Cappa (Harvey Keitel). Believing true penance comes on the streets and not in church, Charlie attempts to protect those around him who may not be conscious of the dangers created by their disruptive behavior. And while Keitel plays the films central character well, few would argue that Mean Streets belongs to anybody other than Robert De Niro. His breakthrough performance as Johnny Boy combines with Scorsese’s superb camera work to create a deprived world populated by rich characters living amongst a backdrop of crime and violence. This deeply personal film delves into now familiar Scorsese themes such as redemption, love, and violence with such aplomb that we often forget this is essentially Scorsese’s directorial debut and one that should not be missed by anyone who considers themselves a student of film.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Im sorry im pretty desperate because people like to hate me. But Garden State was my third favorite movie this year.

Reputation points won't make people like you.

Nice little reviews there mose.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

I will always remember Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey as being the film where the world’s finest thespian, Keanu Reeves, perfected a little something I like to call the Keanu Face’ (blank look on his eyes, mouth open, drool hanging out). Those of you who have yet to witness this masterpiece of self-control had best run to your local video store as soon as possible and prepare to be astonished at the intensity of Keanu’s glare as he and his heterosexual life mate (nod to Kevin Smith) travel through heaven, hell, and time in order to bring peace to the world via their crappy music.

A system of cells interlinked
Hehe, The Bill and Ted stuff is so goofy, but they pay tribute to "The Seventh Seal" in the film, so I laughed at that. Good Megaseth song in their too. Cool review

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

I will be the first to admit that Resident Evil: Apocalypse is a bad movie. That, however, shouldn’t prevent it from being enjoyable, providing you watch it from the proper perspective. Those expecting Shakespeare will be surprisingly disappointed. Those of us just looking for mindless entertainment are likely to be rewarded with beaucoup explosions, beautiful women, and plot holes the size of Liberace’s ass, all requirements for a proper popcorn flick. In fact, Apocalypse often combines gratuitous violence and sexy women in a glorious celebration of the female form by accentuating certain assets as only gun holsters and 6-inch f-me pumps can! Of course it doesn’t hurt that the females in question (primarily Sienna Guillory but also Milla Jovovich) happen to be two incredibly fun to look at women.

6/10

After Hours

I tend to not enjoy stories revolving around one character being constantly barraged by unfortunate circumstances so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I didn’t particularly care for Martin Scorsese’s strange late night odyssey through downtown Manhattan. Griffen Dune stars as a bored word processor whose life is turned upside down by three very strange women over the course of a single night. The cinematography, music, acting, etc. are all top notch, but I never really cared about the story nor did I care for the central character. The cast of character he encounters was interesting, but the shtick became repetitive rather quickly. Overall a disappointing film from one of my favorite directors.

5/10