Mingusing's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

40. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

"I'm not a recluse. I don't close my door to anybody. They just don't visit."

David Fincher's remake of the 2009 Swedish film is a marvelous piece of cinema. From the moment when the eye-candy opening credit sequence storms onto the screen, you know you are in for a real treat. The brilliant atmosphere created in the film is unnerving, cold, and bleak. This can be accredited to the great direction by Fincher and the outstanding cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth. To me, the screenplay itself is rather basic. It's much more idea driven as opposed to fancy dialogue and such. It's surprising that despite the film's 158 min runtime, it never really drags for me. It's actually quite a mesmerizing film, driven by the direction and the performances. On a sidenote, this film cements David Fincher as one of my favorite working directors. He has made many murder mystery/serial killer films, yet it never feels like he has repeated himself. Each one is unique, and I certainly can't wait to see what his upcoming film, Gone Girl, will bring.

Basterds is the only Tarantino I haven't seen. It's been at the top of my to see list for a very long time. I'll probably finally watch it this week for the movie tournament.

I really liked TGWTDT, but I don't think I was prepared for how long it was. I really need to see it again.

The Exorcist is another from your list that's an all time favorite of mine.

Inglourious Basterds is my favorite movie so thumbs up for that!

I also love The Exorcist and TGWTDT

I've been meaning to see this for a few years now. I saw the original and wasn't impressed. I'd much rather rewatch decent episodes of Wallander than the original version, but I am willing to give this a go, if only to compare.

39. Psycho (1960)

"People always mean well. They cluck their thick tongues, and shake their heads and suggest, oh, so very delicately!"

Psycho is a classic! It's an extremely well-directed film and one of Hitchcock's best. Not much more to say.

38. The Fly (1986)

"A fly got into the transmitter pod with me that first time, when I was alone. The computer got confused. There weren't supposed to be two separate genetic patterns, and it decided to uh... splice us together. It mated us - me and the fly. We hadn't even been properly introduced."

The Fly is a fantastic Cronenberg film. I've shamefully never seen the original, but I fell in love with this one after a single viewing. It's everything you could want from a Cronenberg body horror. Disturbing and sometimes disgusting, the movie never falls into the category of being a creature feature. It always remains intelligent and edgy and even manages to be charming in a sick sort of way. The final, chilling scenes are unforgettable, engraved in the minds of every viewer. The film proves how powerful the horror genre can be when done right. This isn't a "boo" horror movie; it's deeply troubling and terrifying.

Cool to see The Fly on your list; I think it's an incredible movie. Psycho goes without saying, and I just saw Basterds and really enjoyed it.

37. Memento (2000)

"We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different."

Memento is one of the most gripping films I've ever seen. As each scene unravels, you grow more and more invested in the story and more curious as to where it is going. The film creates its own little cinematic world thanks to its brilliant editing and mysterious characters. It's a movie impossible to turn off.

36. Dancer in the Dark (2000)

"Isn't it annoying when they do the last song in the films? Because, you just know when it goes really big, and the camera goes like... out of the roof, and you just know it's gonna end. I hate that. I would leave just after the next to last song. And then the film would just go on forever."

I am not by any means a fan of musicals. I find them cliched, cheesy, and just boring. Dancer in the Dark is essentially the anti-musical. Where most musicals are really happy and feel-good, Dancer in the Dark is feel-bad. Where most musicals have the cliched shots like "the camera going out of the roof," Dancer in the Dark has almost amateurish shots. Lars von Trier's Palme d'Or winning film is among the most unique films ever made. You would think von Trier had never seen a musical in his life. The film is a daring, inventive, emotional roller coaster ride.