Top Ten Comedies of the '80s

Tools    

Since the '90s thread is getting a decent response, let's try the same thing with the previous decade.

1. After Hours (1985 - Scorsese)
"I just wanted to leave, you know, my apartment, maybe meet a nice girl...and now I have to DIE for it?!?"

2. Airplane! (1980 - Zucker, Abrahams & Zucker)
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

3. Modern Romance (1981 - Albert Brooks)
"You've never heard of a No-Win Situation? Really no?...Vietnam. This. I think we're in one."

4. Raising Arizona (1987 - Joel & Ethan Coen)
"Now what's it gonna be, Young Feller? You want I should freeze, or get down on the ground? 'Cause if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop, and if'n I drop, I'm a gonna be in motion."

5. This Is Spinal Tap (1984 - Rob Reiner)
"Fu*k the napkin!"

6. Midnight Run (1988 - Martin Brest)
"Why aren't you popular with the Chicago Police Department?"

7. Broadcast News (1987 - James L. Brooks)
"No, I think anyone who puckers up their lips and presses it against their bosses buttocks and then smooches is an ass-kisser."

8. A Fish Called Wanda (1988 - Charles Crichton)
"To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people!"

9. Fletch (1985 - Michael Ritchie)
"Does this proposition ential my dressing up as Little Bo Peep?"

10. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982 - Carl reiner)
"I hadn't seen a body put together like that since I solved the Case of the Murdered Girl with the Big ****."

AND TWENTY-SOME RUNNERS-UP (in random order): Diner, Arthur, Roxanne, Night Shift, The Princess Bride, All of Me, The Naked Gun: From the Files of 'Police Squad'!, The Witches of Eastwick, Planes,Trains & Automobiles, How To Get Ahead in Advertising, Trading Places, Clue, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Sure Thing, Lost in America, Monty Python's Meaning of Life, When Harry Met Sally..., The War of the Roses, The Survivors, 48 Hrs., Beverly Hills Cop, Tin Men, Ghostbusters, Three Amigos, Withnail & I, Local Hero, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Hmm, I don't know dates as well as the man, Holden, so I'm gonna have to look a few up before I post a list.

Now With Moveable Parts
Me too OG. I sure as hell don't want to look like an idiot or anythig...pff, Holden took 'em all anyways, what with his runner up list.

Part of the reason for listing so many runners-up, besides the fact that I like all of those movies and found it difficult to only choose ten, is so that those of you who are a bit sketchy on dates can get some ideas and use the first post as a reference or jumping off point.

Anywho....

This is Spinal Tap....probably my number one pick.
also: Airplane and the Naked Gun
A Fish Called Wanda
Raising Arizona
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
The Princess Bride

i'm sure i'll be adding more later...

The Princess Bride
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Airplane
Joey, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Ferris Bueller, you're my hero.

Back to the Future
So why don't you make like a tree and get outta here.

Little Shop of Horrors
I think I need a root canal. I definitely need a long, slow root canal.

Scrooged
No, you are a hallucination, brought on by alcohol! Russian Vodka, poisoned by Chernobyl!

When Harry Met Sally
Oh, but "baby fish mouth" is sweeping the nation?

See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Those AREN'T PILLOWS!!!

Big
I'm your best friend. What's more important than that, huh?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
Anywho....
Anyhoo.*snicker*

We would all be as good at dates as you are, IF that was what concerned us. I guess it's relevent to threads like this...but it's more impressive to know some people go off the tops of their heads...

Here's some of my favorites
(IN NO ORDER)

THE 'BURBS (1989)
Ray Peterson: No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive thier garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

Ray Peterson: Nobody knocks off an old man in my neighborhood and gets away with it.

He's a stranger in an even stranger land... Suburbia.

THE GREAT OUTDOORS (1988)
Roman: Chet is gonna **** a solid gold brick when he sees us.

CLUE (1985)
Col. Mustard: Well, there is still some confusion as to whether or not there is anybody else in this house.
Wadsworth: I told you there isn't!
Col. Mustard: There isn't any confusion, or there isn't anbody else?
Wadsworth: Either, or both!
Col. Mustard: Just give me a clear answer!
Wadsworth: Certainly! [clears his throat] What was the question?
Col. Mustard: Is there anybody else in the house!
All: NO!!!

Wadsworth: We're like the Mounties; we always get our man.
Mr. Green: Mrs. Peacock was a man?

USED CARS (1980)
Estimated Laugh Count: 287 City, 410 Highway. Use these numbers only for comparison. Your actual laughs may vary depending on how you feel about used car salesmen, nude women, spectacular car stunts, and the President of the United States.

HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1 (1981)
Comicus: The only thing we Romans don't have a god for is premature ejaculation. But I hear that's coming quickly!

DRAGNET (1987)
Just The Facts.

GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)
Peter Venkman: We came, we saw, we kicked its ***!

RUNNING SCARED (1986)
[On car phone, in strange voice.]
Costanzo: Detective Sigliano? Hi, my name is Pinky, and I used to inform for Hughes and Costanzo but they don' pay me no mo'... Oh, no! You see, I'm watching the new "Jeopardy!" and a man just lost a Bible question because he did not know what Deuteronomy wa-as... Anyway, I want you guys to get Gonzalez and show up Hughes and Costanzo 'cause they don' pay me no mo', 'n I'm ma-ad!

SPIES LIKE US (1985)
With spies like these who needs enemies?

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF (1986)
Ferris Bueller: Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ***, in two weeks you would have a diamond.

THE MONEY PIT (1986)
Walter Fielding: Ahh, home crap home!

INVADRES FROM MARS (1986)
There's No Place On Earth To Hide!

OVERBOARD (1987)

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986)
Jack Burton: Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

THREE AMIGOS! (1986)
Lucky Day: Well, we're just gonna have to use our brains.
Ned Nedelander, Dusty Bottoms: Damn it!

Now With Moveable Parts
Right on with your bad self L.B.J !!! ( not THE LBJ)

I just adore the Money Pit. Shelly Long and Tom Hanks were great together. I think I've said it before, the funniest moment in movie history, is when the bathtub falls through the floor and Tom Hanks laughs like a maniac for like a whole minute; and Long doesn't even break a smile.

The Great Outdoors was also great. I love when Candy is making a fire and Ackroid comes over and shows Candy how to crumple the newspaper," Ya twist it, ya twist it!"

Ahh I love that scene in THE MONEY PIT also another classic scene is when he spins around in the crapet cause of the hole in the floor plus tons of other scene like the chaplin scene when there finally getting things done around the house was super funny as well

as for THE GREAT OUTDOORS it's sort of a family treasure around my house it's a movie that my family can watch and enjoy for pure entertainment "Big bear big bear big bear chase me" and many other great scenes like the leeches and the pointing of the fingers I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this movie critics just eat it up and give it big fat turkeys which I have a hard time swallowing.
________
Park Royal 3 Condos

Ghostbusters, When Harry Met Sally..., Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Back to the Future and The Naked Gun are my favorites.

These aren't in order, but here goes:

This is Spinal Tap
"...Eleven" [looks at Marty and the amp, satisfied]
"He choked to death on vomit. But not his own vomit"

A Fish Called Wanda
"You're the vulgarian! You f--k!"
"It's K-k-k-ken! c-c-c-coming to k-k-k-kill me!"

Airplane
"I know what this is about- you want me to have an abortion!" [over the loudspeaker in the airport]

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
"THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!"

Ghostbusters
"Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!"
"Yes it's true. This man has no d-ck."

Raising Arizona
"Son, you got a panty on your head"
"They were jammies! Had Yodas on 'em 'n sh-t"
"I started drivin' by convenience stores again...That weren't on the way home"

The King of Comedy
"I'm feeling so impulsive tonight, anything can happen, ANYTHING"

After Hours
"Is she alright?" "It's under control"

The Princess Bride
"Maywwage..."
"You were supposed to be this Colossus! You were this great legendary thing, and yet he gains!"

I don't know if that's ten or not, but those are my favorites from the 80s. I'll probably end up thinking of one I forgot and adding later anyway.

Now With Moveable Parts
Even though Stand By Me isn't a comedy per se, it does have some classic funny moments. Gordy's story of the Barf-O-Rama," Boom-Baba-Boom-Baba-Boom."

and the scene with the leech down Gordy's underwear.

and the scene with the boys sittin' around the campfire," Micky's a mouse, Pluto's a dog...what the hell is Goofy?"
" Yeah, what the hell is Goofy?"

" Chopper. Sick balls."

"...and when I look at you, I throw-up."
" And then your mother goes around the corner, and she licks it up."
" oooooooooooooooh."

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Eighties were a comedy BONANZA!!! It's so hard to choose! Here's my choices:

GhostBusters
Back To The Future
Spaceballs
Three Amigos
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Blues Brothers
National Lampoon's Vacation
Little Shop of Horrors
Roxanne
Ferris Buellers Day Off

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Goonies Goonies Goonies!
Ghostbusters, Ferris, Back to the Future...

I know that is only 4...but those are my fav.

I am a big fan of the John Hughes movies like Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. Anthony Michael Hall has got to be the poster child for 80s comedies with his roles in those movies as well as National Lampoon's Vacation. Speaking of Breakfast Club, I saw a spoof of one of the scenes in a commercial for Not Another Teen Movie. Has anybody seen this? They have the same exact principal from the original movie too.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by redbaron
Speaking of Breakfast Club, I saw a spoof of one of the scenes in a commercial for Not Another Teen Movie. Has anybody seen this? They have the same exact principal from the original movie too.
Let's always be"speaking of Sixteen Candles" I love that movie. I saw the preview for Not Another Teen Movie and I think it looks all the rest of those spoof movies. It will probably have a few funny moments, but for the most part, it will suck. That's my projection.

I would expect Not Another Teen Movie to be only sporadically funny too - at best, but you never know.

The "Wang Chung" line of course refers to the '80s band, who had two decent-sized radio hits with "Dance Hall Days" and "Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Everybody Wang Chung Tonight)". I would guess from the clip in the trailer, the context will either be a flashback to the 1980s or more likely a joke that he is the exact same Richard Vernon character from The Breakfast Club, who's frame of pop culture reference is still the '80s.

That actor is Paul Gleason, and his other two memorable '80s roles, besides the hard-@ss Vernon in The Beakfast Club, are as the clueless Police Captain Dwayne T. Robinson in Die Hard and the devious bagman Clarence Beeks in Trading Places.

He already spoofed his inept Capt. Dwayne Robinson in National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 (1993).