Gabrielle has seen 100 good films

→ in
Tools    

90. The Mummy (1999)

I am a fan of these type of films,when some group of people are looking for historical things, when they go to all kinds of deserted places,when they make some funny jokes on the way and when they get all types of ancient riddles. But there are only few such films who really stuck with me and was rewatched a lot of times and The Mummy is one of them.

And you can say that it's bad,illogical,stupid and so on but you can't deny that it's a bit of classic. Not in Indiana Jones level but still a fun watch.

Ok,10 already done,let's go forward

89. Операция Ы и другие приключения Шурика/Operation Y & Other Shurik's Adventures

This is the most popular and known Soviet Russia comedy who can be compared only to 12 Chairs,which is an another classic.I'm not sure whether English or Americans will get the humor but for me,living close to Russia,it was an awesome and really hilarious film.I hear phrases from this movie even today from regular people who maybe even haven't seen the film.

Operation Y is made from 3 short movies.All of them feature the same young and nerdy guy - Shurik.In the first segment an honest man Shurik and a cynical and impolite man Fedya cross paths at the construction site(Fedya was assigned to work there because of Shurik,and Shurik works there part-time) so they seek revenge to one another.In the the second segment Shurik has a final exam and he,with lots of other students,have a studying madness.In the final part(I would say the least popular) - we see a robbery which just goes wrong.

If you're a fan of Russian humor,it's a must see.I would also recommend it to anyone,who is interested in foreign cinema because it is a classic movie with plenty of laughs and hilarous situations.

88. Home Alone

Another film in my list which is not particularly good but it has become not even a classic but more of a tradition.Every year for,like,20 years on Christmas Day this film is shown on TV.And all those times I've seen it with my family.It's like part of Christmas. Something would be wrong it isn't shown.
And it doesn't even matter that Kevin is left alone at home again(for 20 years straight ) It is still a great entertainment which never gets boring.And anyway,Joe Pesci is in this movie and he does only good movies.
I also wonder is it as popular in other countries as it is in mine?I don't know,it would feel stupid if I recommend it,because I don't think that there is a person in the world who owns a TV and who hasn't seen this film yet.

I'm not aware of Operation Y & Other Shurik's Adventures, but I like Home Alone. It's ok, until they they to get Kevin, then it really kicks into gear. Great stuff for those last 20 minutes or so. Ditto the sequel.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
"Gabrielle has seen 100 good films" - That's nice, when are you going to start listing them? Just kidding. I tease because I love.

Anyway I really like/love Ocean's Eleven, though I am one of those people who doesn't like the sequels. Charlie's Angels is a really fun film, just watched and reviewed it actually. You'll have a new best friend in Honeykid for listing that.

The Mummy is one I've always loved as well, it also made it onto my top 100 list. And Home Alone is wonderful. My no.1 Christmas flick.

Anyone remember the Dennis The Menace film with Matthau as Mr. Wilson? That was a fairly good Home Alone spin, slap-stick wise. A blast from the past, nostalgia.

I'm not aware of Operation Y & Other Shurik's Adventures
try to watch it,I would be interested to know whether you enjoyed it.

That's nice, when are you going to start listing them? Just kidding. I tease because I love.
yeah,I noticed that bottom 100 mostly belongs to classic but not so good movies but don't worry,it will get better.

87. La vita è bella / Life Is Beautiful

I'm one of that type of people who are usually bought by sentimentality and this one also got to me.

Life Is Beautiful is about a Jewish family which is sent to concentration camp.The protagonist,Guido, stays together with his son Giosué,whereas his wife is sent to women block.It all looks like the same old story about the horror which prisoners have to face in the concentration camp but this movie is different.Guido doesn't want his son to know what is happening so he tells his boy that the whole camp is a game and if you win it you get a real tank.The boy doesn't understand what the German officers are saying all the time so he believes his father.

The drama and comedy mix is the key of the film.It is funny,it is sad and it will definitely touch your heart.Of course it's sentimental and unreal,but who cares?It's well-filmed,well-acted film full of honesty and magic.

There are lots of films who tell the tragic fate of concentration camp prisoners but it's such a nice feeling when someone recommends you a film about death camp and you expect torture,scream,terror and tears but instead you receive a magical and positive experience.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
yeah,I noticed that bottom 100 mostly belongs to classic but not so good movies but don't worry,it will get better.
What bottom 100 do you mean?

Oh and big for Life is Beautiful. Was also on my list.

What bottom 100 do you mean?
bottom of this top 100

86. Vozvrashchenie / The Return

This is a new movie for me,which I saw few months ago but it left an impression for me and even got a place in this list.

The plot is quite simple.Two young brothers,Andrey and Ivan,are living with their mother and grandma.One day they have an argument at the doorstep and mother suddenly tells them to be quiet because their father is sleeping.Everything seems normal,just the father hasn't been at home for 12 years.Father later offers two brothers to go on a fishing trip and they agree.

They key thing in this movie is the relationships between father and his sons.It may seem that father is very bossy and his attempts to educate his children are even brute but,on the other hand,maybe he is trying to prepare his kids for life?He is harsh because he wants his sons to be true men.This film raises a lot of questions such as why did the father come back?Why the brothers are afraid to ask where he has been,or even do the father loves them?But of course,you will get no answers which is actually a common thing in Russian cinema and I like that because it lets the viewer to make his own opinion.

The acting is great and seems very real (this may be because Russians are playing Russians,so they speak without accent and they understand the lifestyle).

Visually this film is also fabulous,although it is mostly dark and in more depressive scenes it's usually raining.

It's a great drama which goes deep into the family relationships and it makes you wonder whether you're relationships with other people are like you want them to be because they may become unimprovable anytime.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
+1 rep for The Return. Such a masterpiece! Too low in my point of view.
Also, do you now Sharunas Bartas and his art cinema? He's from your country, Lithuania.

Maybe after a while and a few more watches it will go higher.

Yes,I've heard of him but I haven't seen anything because overall I'm not a big fan of Lithuanian cinema.For me it's too dark and depressive and it is actually very hard to find some films to watch.Of course, there are some great classic movies(I included one in my list) but most of them are not translated or subtitled in English.

85. Se7en

I gave 10 for this movie in IMDB and it's the only movie where I gave high score in IMDB but low on this list.

I gave it a maximum because I think it's flawless.And I really believe that this movie has no disadvantages - acting is good,plot is consistent and clear,characters are characterized and maybe a bit cliche,villain is great,cinematography is fine and the "message" is unusual.

I think it got 85th place just because it's not very memorable for me.It didn't had that lasting effect on me.Yes,for few days,maybe even a month I constantly thought about it and it stuck with me but as the time passed I even forgot it and although it has a very interesting plot (this is important for me) I still don't feel a need to rewatch it.

+1 rep for The Return. Such a masterpiece! Too low in my point of view.
Also, do you now Sharunas Bartas and his art cinema? He's from your country, Lithuania.
Darn. I should've included The Return in my list for the MoFo 100. I have heard of Sharunas Bartas but his films don't interest me. Or rather I have seen a few scenes from a few of his films and they bored the crap out of me

84. The Living Daylights (James Bond films)

Actually this place goes to all James Bond film franchise because I'm not a very huge fan but some of those those movies are really good and entertaining and I liked this one the most (Goldfinger would definitely be second).

Also,I think that all JB films are pretty much the same so it would be stupid to split them and rate separately.For me,Living Daylights had the best plot and I think that it's a very important thing in such films.

My favorite Bonds are Connery,Moore and Craig.
Favorite films: The Living Daylights,Goldfinger,From Russia With Love,Tomorrow Never Dies,Live And Let Die,A View To A Kill,Dr. No.

83. Gangs Of New York

Two reasons why it's on my list:

19th century America and the whole realistic and stunning set.
Daniel Day-Lewis acting performance.

Gangs wasn't as bad as I'd heard, but I can't ever seeing it making any kind of best/favourite list of mine.

From memory, I liked The Living Daylights. That said, the only time I've watched it was when it came out. I was a kid back then and I liked Bond a lot more than I do now.

82. Cloverfield

I loved the idea that this horror/sci-fi flick showed all the story from first person perspective.Maybe The Blair Witch Project is more popular but I prefer this one.It was interesting,it was quite creepy and,although it's about a monster,for me,it looked realistic.Acting was really good.I would definitely recommend it, a great experience.