Quills

→ in
Tools    

No expectations in regards to a discussion, it was just that Gogol is said to have burned parts of Dead Souls and when you read it you get annoyed seeing: "Here the manuscript breaks off" or "Part of the manuscript is missing here".

Maybe you can start (or find) a thread about Kafka, so as not to get this one too off-track.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ah yes. Like Metropolis.

Five years not off track enough... okay. I think I'm going to rewatch Welles's version of The Trial soon and start a thread that will hopefully kick off some Kafka discussion. Fascinating writer on all levels.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I take issue with the comment that it 'shouldn't be there' in the MoFo Top 100 movies. This is a poll of about 50 people who submitted lists of their 20 (or was it 25?) favourite films, not an objective list of the best films as decided by experts. You gave it 7.5 which is not a bad rating. Are you saying that the two or three of us who had Quills listed among our favourite films shouldn't like it? Is our enjoyment of Quills somehow less valid than your enjoyment of The End of Evangelion, for example? That's hardly the sort of film that tops official top 100 lists either, is it? Part of the fun of the MoFo top 100 is seeing the more personal films that people have chosen rather than the usual suspects (although it wouldn't surprise me if The Usual Suspects crops up at some point), and I wouldn't say there was any film that didn't deserve to be on the list whether I liked it or not, however much I might disagree with the taste of the people who chose it.