Quentin Tarantino: a filmmaker god

Tools    

Movie Forums Member
Definetly Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, and Reservoir Dogs

Quentin Tarantino is my favorite director of all time!
If not THE cinematic deity then definitely A cinematic deity
I do agree that Death Proof was a little self-indulgent but!
Were all of Da Vinci's works classics?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Quentin Tarantino is a fantastic filmmaker and a good actor. Ive recently watched "Death Proof" which I found to be awsome. Also he is the Director of one of my favorite films of all time, Pulp Fiction. I really find his movies absolutle fantastic and look forward to what ever he comes up with next.

I really love Reservoir Dogs , Pulp Fiction , and Grindhouse. Kill Bill is just destroyed by Zatoichi the blind swordsman - which came out the same year. (which i find is funny because Taratino says Takeshi was one of his biggest influences in film)

Kill Bill 2 was just an awfull mess and easily his worst film in my opinion. Jackie Brown was good but not great. I'm very optimistic about his future films though.

What's going on with Tarantino these days? Is he planning on directing again? Just writing/producing? Working on Kill Bill 3/4?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Quentin Tarantino has always struck me as a really creepy dude. I didn't much care for his much vaulted Pulp Fiction. I think it had far too much buzz. I kept waiting for something worthy of that buzz to happen in the film but it didn't.

Jackie Brown was okay. Mainly because of the actors in the film who I like a great deal.

Kill Bill was somewhat interesting. My fav part was the anime scene.

Death Proof is my favorite movie he has done. I liked the other half of Grindhouse much more but it was good in the end.

A lot of his films seem to be without emotion.

Death Proof is my favorite movie he has done. I liked the other half of Grindhouse much more but it was good in the end.
Interesting!

How does Death Proof rate for you in the context of all movies?

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Not terribly high. It had, in the end, a message of female power which is a plus for me. The car stuff was fun and exciting. I had to really reign myself in whilst driving home. LOL.

Interesting!

How does Death Proof rate for you in the context of all movies?

Employee of the Month
Fanboy-Stuff. All hail to the King. He did some GREAT movies and he did some bad movies (the one with the blood and the Latina, Kill Bill 2, Death Proof). When you reading his interviews, you may get aware that he is a movie-maniac to the bones. That`s good, but he is also as mature as a 16 year old weed-smoker roaming around in his shiny pick-up (his unreflected admiration for Riefenstahl and Himmlers propaganda-stuff, his everlasting selfquoting etc.). He`s cool. But he is no god. And his actual movies have big flaws. Many people do not want to see them, cause it`s hip to be square. But the major audience had refused to pay money for a boring, smug No-Brainer like "Death Proof". And there is a reason for this.

professional fool
If you guys haven't already, you've gotta see inglorious bastards... /RofLMoL

Right this has been bugging me for a while now. Is Tarantino a great director or in actual fact an average director but a great writer?

When it comes to the technical aspects of film making I'm a bit of a dunce, but Tarantino writes all his own stuff so is it harder separate his writing ability from his directorial ability?

Banned from Hollywood.
I cant believe this thread 6 years old...looooool

anyways...yea sure he is a filmmaker-god..great writer and director (2 in one as they say)

as for Godfather's (don't know if he' still posts here anymore though) original post from 6 years ago...i dont think Kill Bill is in the list of 100 greatest movies nowdays..or even if it is, i doubt it's in a high position...oh how times change

A filmmaking god who - in my opinion - hasn't made a truly "great" film since Jackie Brown. He's made some decent films since then and some that I would consider completely bad - Kill Bill I'm looking at you. But nothing really great and I include Inglorious Basterds in this list. I'm sorry but I just didn't like it.

His movies have become too self aware. I can no longer praise his dialogue because it has become cliched, every character in a modern Tarantino film sounds exactly how Tarantino speaks in real life conversation. That urban realism that he was praised for in earlier films has been lost somewhere along the way. Now I just find it cringeworthy to sit through.

I cant believe this thread 6 years old...looooool

anyways...yea sure he is a filmmaker-god..great writer and director (2 in one as they say)

as for Godfather's (don't know if he' still posts here anymore though) original post from 6 years ago...i dont think Kill Bill is in the list of 100 greatest movies nowdays..or even if it is, i doubt it's in a high position...oh how times change

Well I'm new and this is the first thread that comes up if you search. Personally I hold True Romance in higher regard than any of his self directed films.

He has kinda crawled up his own arse as the above posters says as well, I think he is over rated as a director even though I still love his films.

A filmmaking god who - in my opinion - hasn't made a truly "great" film since Jackie Brown. He's made some decent films since then and some that I would consider completely bad - Kill Bill I'm looking at you. But nothing really great and I include Inglorious Basterds in this list. I'm sorry but I just didn't like it.

His movies have become too self aware. I can no longer praise his dialogue because it has become cliched, every character in a modern Tarantino film sounds exactly how Tarantino speaks in real life conversation. That urban realism that he was praised for in earlier films has been lost somewhere along the way. Now I just find it cringeworthy to sit through.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Well said.

I don't think Tarantino is a bad film maker, I just don't see eye to eye with him. To me it seems like he uses dialogue and violence as a way to hook his audience into a film that has little or no substance to it. I mean, I enjoyed his first few films to a degree, and I thought Jackie Brown was a fabulous step into him maturing as a film maker... but then the years go by when he hasn't made any films and then rehashes his career with Kill Bill which to me was a step back for him. Again it felt as if he needed to use excessive violence to get his point across, and every film since up to Inglourious Basterds has had that same cheap hook ******* it. I honestly don't have a problem with violence, its a non-issue to me, but when I feel someone is using it to gain my attention, I tune out. Lets put it in this perspective; lets compare Quentin Tarantino's style of film making to Ron Howard's style of film making. Ron Howard can't seem to make a film without a cheap use of emotionalism. He'll pick out these "emotionally driven" films, and when something sad happens, queue "sad" music... when something good happens, queue "victory" music. Its the same stuff rehashed and rehashed, over and over again. That's honestly how I feel about Tarantino. I don't really view him as an artist. An artist, when approaching similiar material, always tries to do something they hadn't done in their last project and try to improve upon it. Picasso had a "Blue Period", a "Red Period", an "African-Influenced Period", a "Cubist" period, and even a "Classical" and "Surrealist" period. When he felt he pushed something as far as it could go, he stopped, and tried to innovate something new. I don't see that with Tarantino, to me he's almost devoid of any true artistic ideas. Therefore, watching many of his most recent works is rather dull to me, I get nothing out of them.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage