Subtitles or Dubbing? - A POLL

Tools    

Which do you prefer? Subtitles or Dubbing?
100.00%
30 votes
Subtitles
0%
0 votes
Dubbing
30 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Agreed ^

I've watched both dubbed and subtitled versions of Akira.

Subtitles are by far superior with animation... but I get the Dubbing argument that you can watch the faces. The fall back though is the expression in sound is lost. It's never the same with dubbing.

As James Cameron said... "70% of a movie is editing, and sound."

Dubbing removes the emotion from the voices.

After watching so much japonese I HATE dubbs now. Well I hate my language so that doesn't help either. But I don't like it in english either, even though I saw everything in english (as I just say I dont like spanish) But yeah the original language rules!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was thinking of a starting a thread on this, but see it's already started

One thing I noticed is that European countries, seem to prefer dubbing more, as in if you go to Europe, several American movies are dubbed and not subtitled. Mexico prefers dubbing as well, from people I know who have been there. Not the UK, but other European countries it seems.

Why is it that it seems a lot of Europe and Mexico, and perhaps a lot of other countries, prefer dubbing, where as countries, like the US, UK, Canada, etc, prefer subtitles? Why have we westerners been not accepting of dubbing compared to others, any particular reason?

The problem is that English language dubbs are usually really bad. Portuguese language dubbs are a bit better but they are still inferior to the original language.
Some of the Ghibli films Disney did aren't bad at all.

I was thinking of a starting a thread on this, but see it's already started

One thing I noticed is that European countries, seem to prefer dubbing more, as in if you go to Europe, several American movies are dubbed and not subtitled. Mexico prefers dubbing as well, from people I know who have been there. Not the UK, but other European countries it seems.

Why is it that it seems a lot of Europe and Mexico, and perhaps a lot of other countries, prefer dubbing, where as countries, like the US, UK, Canada, etc, prefer subtitles? Why have we westerners been not accepting of dubbing compared to others, any particular reason?
Moreso the kind of films I suspect, arthouse cinema is generally going to be subtitled rather than dubbed and that's arguably most of what we see imported to the US/UK. Elsewhere though a lot of the imports are big US mainstream blockbusters which end up dubbed the same way Disney dubbed Ghilbi's films aiming for a wider market in the US.

Oh, so dubbing is more preferred in non-English speaking nations, if the US movie is a blockbuster, and not an arthouse film?

I won’t watch anything that’s dubbed. Evil!

I watched this movie first with subtitles as it’s set in Mongolia. Truly delightful. Next time I come to watch it, it’s been dubbed into “American”. Made zero sense.

But why is it evil to us, but not many European audience and Mexican audiences, as far as I know. Why do Americans and British, etc, think it's evil, compared to others?

But why is it evil to us, but not many European audience and Mexican audiences, as far as I know. Why do Americans and British, etc, think it's evil, compared to others?
Stirch thinks it's personally evil. No one said most Americans think dubbing is evil. More like most Americans find dubbing annoying/distracting or just plain sucky.

But why is it evil to us, but not many European audience and Mexican audiences, as far as I know.
I highly doubt that the average European likes a movie that’s been dubbed.

I would agree that most dubbing is badly done, but I have vision issues that make it really difficult for me to read subtitles while watching a movie.

I highly doubt that the average European likes a movie that’s been dubbed.
But when you visit Europe, or at least Italy and France it seems, a lot of American movies are dubbed their as oppose to subtitled, so I thought therefore, they preferred that, since it's popular for some reason.

What if the dubbing was well done though? For example in Goldfinger, the dubbing of Gert Frobe as Goldfinger was so well done, that I literally only noticed in two of his lines. I found out later that his entire dialogue was dubbed! So if the US was willing to dub foreign releases as good as Goldfinger, would people prefer it over subtitles then?

What would be the point of dubbing a foreign film? It takes away the “foreignness”. Who would want to watch Ingmar Bergman movies not in Swedish, but dubbed? It makes no sense.

Well other nations do it. Why does France and Mexico dub American movies? Doesn't that take away the American feel of it? They still do it to understand the movie better, and taking away the foreigness of it, does not bother them.

We can bat this back & forth all night. I haven’t the faintest idea why Mexicans dub movies nor do I care. You’d Have to ask them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I always preferred subtitles. Now I really prefer them because my hearing is not that great.

I'm the opposite. I prefer dubbed because my vision isn't good.