A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Dispatch from the land of The Kids Are Alright!

My friend is doing some sort of art or theater program and she was walking a group of 10-13 year old kids through a museum.

One of the galleries had a collection where an artist had drawn abstract portraits of different celebrities. One of the portraits was of Shelley Duvall and a child turned to my friend and said, "Hey, that looks the like mom from The Shining."

Hopefully you recommended them "The Shinning" afterward, I hope:

Was in the mood for some, hopefully, cheesy fun horror last night at a friends movie night so we watched Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight followed by Warlock.

Demon Knight was definitely the sort of schlock I was in the mood for, not scary but pretty damn entertaining particularly any moment with Billy Zane hamming it up.

Warlock was better than I expected, there is a certain charm to it in that low budget 80's sort of way. Maybe doesn't reach the level of something like Highlander but still was entertaining to watch.

So all in all I think I got what I was looking for, nothing exceptional but low level entertaining which is pretty much all my brain could really handle or want yesterday.
One of my favorites. I wouldn’t call it schlock. Camp is more accurate as Dickerson is an exceptional filmmaker (Spike Lee’s go-to cinematographer turned director) and he does a better job emulating Italian horror than just about any other American filmmaker.

Intentionally fun, gory, crazy fun.

Warlock was better than I expected, there is a certain charm to it in that low budget 80's sort of way. Maybe doesn't reach the level of something like Highlander but still was entertaining to watch.
I enjoy Warlock, though mainly the middle act. I like the sequence at the rural farmhouse.

It's a movie that I sometimes go to sleep to. I think that the acting hits just the right note for goofy fun.

Please, let me out of here. I'm good now. I wasn't before, but I'm good now. I've had my oatmeal. The thing, it's like diabetes, it gets into your blood and messes you up. But I'm good now. I've had my oatmeal. I wasn't eating my oatmeal before, because if the thing absorbed me, I wanted to give it my diabetes. Not just it, but all of the other people it's absorbed as well. But I'm good now. Let me out. I'm good now.

Damn. I just checked, Brimley passed away in 2020. I think I vaguely recall reading that, but had forgotten. Now this joke somehow feels "too soon."
RIP, Wilford.

Victim of The Night
Was in the mood for some, hopefully, cheesy fun horror last night at a friends movie night so we watched Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight followed by Warlock.

Demon Knight was definitely the sort of schlock I was in the mood for, not scary but pretty damn entertaining particularly any moment with Billy Zane hamming it up.
I can't see any reasonable person disliking Demon Knight. I'd actually have to look side-eye at anyone who said they did.
Warlock, on the other hand...

I can't see any reasonable person disliking Demon Knight. I'd actually have to look side-eye at anyone who said they did.
Warlock, on the other hand...
I mean I'm certainly not calling Warlock a good film, just a one that worked for me in the moment.

I also think ThatDarnMKS is right, schlock wasn't really the right word for Demon Knight, but it's what my brain came up with in the moment, camp is more on point.

I'm watching The Ledge (2022) on Hulu, and for the life of me I cannot understand why the movie keeps trying to insist that the characters are American when the actors are mostly clearly very much not American. At least two of them are British and one is Spanish. And this is particularly bizarre when the lead actor says, in his clearly not-American accent, "We came halfway around the world for some Euro tail and you found us a couple of Cali girls." The nationality of the characters, all of whom are vacationing in Italy, isn't even plot relevant.

Anyway, this movie will get a decent rating from me because my fear of heights makes any movie where people are climbing rock faces absolutely terrifying.

Also, never have I ever seen a character more written to be murdered than the character of Sophie in this film. Even after she watches one of the men aggressively grab her friend's arm, she decides to hang out with four strange men, alone, and loudly insult their masculinity.
This is the delightful trash that is right up my alley and since I only had time for something short tonight I gave it a whirl. This movie is ludicrous. The bad guy couldn’t just be one thing he had to be all the bad things. He’s a cheater, a rapist, a blackmailer, a racist, a homophobe, a misogynist and a murderer. It was fascinating.

EMBRACE MY SLICKNESS

This sounds like you are offering a wet handshake.

Slickness. Ugh.

Any word that describes a person one shouldn't trust, should be treated with equal suspicion when applied to a piece of art.

Fun and cool should be thought of as equally suspect. Very few people are ever really themselves when they spend all their energy making sure you are having a good time. Movies are the same. What chance is there that I will ever get a glimpse of the real movie inside, if it is always performing for me?

Cast them out!

The ugly, the dour and awkward. That's who you've got to seek out. The one's who can't help but be themselves. That lack the common sense to camouflage it. Who, if they start to tapdance for your approval, will at least have the decency to trip and fall and stay down on the floor. With the crumbs and dog turds.

Like this one:

Is it fun?

No.

Is it cool?

Definitely not!

Does anything even happen?

lol. what do you think?

But at least I know what it is. I feel its sadness. And so will you when you look into the eyes of Kim Hunter, as she ponders what happened to her career, and how she could have possibly ended up in such an awful and boring place as this.

Movie magic.

Dispatch from the land of The Kids Are Alright!

My friend is doing some sort of art or theater program and she was walking a group of 10-13 year old kids through a museum.

One of the galleries had a collection where an artist had drawn abstract portraits of different celebrities. One of the portraits was of Shelley Duvall and a child turned to my friend and said, "Hey, that looks the like mom from The Shining."

Smart kid. 👏

Now I'm scared to even consider rewatching it. I've only seen it in theaters when it was released, and don't really remember much. I have this feeling that I wasn't exactly a fan, though. Maybe I should take the risk and rewatch it anyway, even if it could mean a weirdly staring Wooley?

Victim of The Night
This sounds like you are offering a wet handshake.

Any word that describes a person one shouldn't trust, should be treated with equal suspicion when applied to a piece of art.

Fun and cool should be thought of as equally suspect. Very few people are ever really themselves when they spend all their energy making sure you are having a good time. Movies are the same. What chance is there that I will ever get a glimpse of the real movie inside, if it is always performing for me?

Cast them out!

The ugly, the dour and awkward. That's who you've got to seek out. The one's who can't help but be themselves. That lack the common sense to camouflage it. Who, if they start to tapdance for your approval, will at least have the decency to trip and fall and stay down on the floor. With the crumbs and dog turds.

Like this one:

Is it fun?

No.

Is it cool?

Definitely not!

Does anything even happen?

lol. what do you think?

But at least I know what it is. I feel its sadness. And so will you when you look into the eyes of Kim Hunter, as she ponders what happened to her career, and how she could have possibly ended up in such an awful and boring place as this.

Movie magic.

I have nearly watched this movie several times, particularly during my Halfway To Halloween, but decided to save it for October.

Victim of The Night
Now I'm scared to even consider rewatching it. I've only seen it in theaters when it was released, and don't really remember much. I have this feeling that I wasn't exactly a fan, though. Maybe I should take the risk and rewatch it anyway, even if it could mean a weirdly staring Wooley?
It's fun.
If you go into it thinking, "this movie is intended to be fun", I will be genuinely surprised if you do not enjoy it at least somewhat.
WARNING: "blerp" spoilers below
But if you don't, it's the side-eye for you!

I have nearly watched this movie several times, particularly during my Halfway To Halloween, but decided to save it for October.

Just so you know, it's barely a horror film. It's more like a slightly off centre, low budget drama with vaguely ominous undertones.

Demon Knight is a blast for the cast alone. It features an unhinged Billy Zane, a love-to-hate Thomas Haden Church saying things like "my nipples are smoking" and Dick Miller in a role that gives him more screen time than usual. It's an ideal pick for a scary movie night since there are as many, if not more, laughs than scares.

I think it's the first movie I reviewed when I joined this forum. That was pretty much a condensed version of it, but you can read it here if you like.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Please, let me out of here. I'm good now. I wasn't before, but I'm good now. I've had my oatmeal. The thing, it's like diabetes, it gets into your blood and messes you up. But I'm good now. I've had my oatmeal. I wasn't eating my oatmeal before, because if the thing absorbed me, I wanted to give it my diabetes. Not just it, but all of the other people it's absorbed as well. But I'm good now. Let me out. I'm good now.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140