Is it me or is the psychological thriller genre dying lately?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's my favorite genre of movie, but I haven't been able to find hardly any new movies in that genre. It seems that Hollywood is pumping out more action fantasy blockbusters than ever, unless I'm wrong, and I'm just not looking hard enough, or what do you think?

Hollywood is now mainly focused on movies for teenagers and children. Stuff like psychological thrillers are made as TV shows these days instead of movies. In a sense the TV has replaced movie theater as the main vehicle for filmed fiction, but movie theaters still exist to exhibit special effect blockbusters that can be better appreciated in the big screen.

"Thriller" is a not a true genre, it's a subgenre of horror or action.

Most psychological thrillers are either on television (Black Mirror, Handmaids Tale, Westworld) or they are promoted as a horror film in a different subgenre. And many end up going direct to video

Breaking In
Hereditary
Intruder
It Comes at Night
Thoroughbreds
Unsane
Us

Oh yeah, I hear what you are saying. Well the thing about action movies, is most of the do not want to see the characters go through really big changes though, like 180 degree changes. The characters change a bit but still remain overall the same a lot, where the psychological thriller, even if it's a subgenre, is more willing to do that.

If more action movies were willing to do that, then I wouldn't have become as tired of them I don't think.

What guap said..

Some recent titles I can think of you might like;

Burning 2018
The Guilty 2018
Searching 2018
Wind River 2017
Nocturnal Animals 2016
The Invisible Guest 2016
Miss Sloane 2016
Nightcrawler 2014

"Thriller" is a not a true genre, it's a subgenre of horror or action.
I spose you could argue "thriller" tends to be mean "realistic high tension story", that can crossover into those other genres but generally doesn't seem to be applied as much to films that become really larger than life.

You could say that the Bourne films really led to a charge, they seemed like the point were the spy thriller genre really cross over into being more action films.

On the other side there has arguably been a shift towards more artier releases including thriller elements to them in recent years as well, Nocturnal Animals as mentioned, Elle, etc.

What an excellent day for an exorcism
Genres and subgenres can be as subjective as films themselves. A number of literary sites list Thriller as a genre. For example, literaryterms.net states, "A thriller is a genre of literature, film, and television whose primary feature is that it induces strong feelings of excitement, anxiety, tension, suspense, fear, and other similar emotions in its readers or viewers—in other words, media that thrills the audience."

The Thriller Genre also contains subgenres....

Psychological Thriller
Crime Thriller
Mystery Thriller
Disaster Thriller
Techno Thriller

It might be a stretch, but I would consider Gone Girl a thriller in a sense. More of a mystery thriller or crime thriller, not so much psychological.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess what I mean is lately in movies the psychological stakes of the characters don't feel as high as they use to, where as the filmmakers seem to concentrate more on the physical stakes now, unless I'm just missing all the good ones that concentrate more on the psychological.

Sorry, no more psych thrillers!

Today's audiences just don't have the attention span to enjoy such films...