MoFo LISTS: reactions, reviews, checklists

Tools    

Blood Simple (1985)

This was rather good. The only thing I hated about it, was the slaughtering of The Monkees song. I know, a small budget, more than likely. I was way off on how I thought it would end. I use to be able to figure these movies out, for the most part, but anymore, I'm nowhere close.

WARNING: "Blood Simple" spoilers below
I thought that she would be more of a femme fatale type character, and be a part of the actual murder. Even possibly that she would be the only one setting everyone else up. Well, maybe along with Loren Visser/M. Emmet Walsh. Honestly, besides the affair, she didn't do anything beyond defending herself. Oh, and I liked the nightmare, and how once she was awake, it ended up happening, in a like way, to her lover. The one scene that made me nervous, besides the ending of course, was where Ray/John Getz was trying to dispose of the blood, and then the body. There was just no telling, how that part would end.

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy
Blood Simple (1985)

This was rather good. The only thing I hated about it, was the slaughtering of The Monkees song. I know, a small budget, more than likely.
Wait a second: you got this on VHS?!? Why, oh, why would you do that to yourself?

Anyway, in the U.S. VHS cut of Blood Simple, that "Monkees song" is the version performed by the man who wrote it, Neil Diamond. But in the original theatrical cut and in the later remastered DVD version the song that plays on the jukebox during that scene and then repeats as the closing credits begin is "It's the Same Old Song" by The Four Tops. At the time of the VHS release they couldn't secure the rights to The Four Tops song and for some reason settled on Neil Diamond - it must have seemed like a good idea at the time, and being Ethan and Joel's first film they wouldn't have had much say in the matter ultimately.

The DVD of Blood Simple is also a sort of "director's cut" which, in addition to restoring "The Same Old Song" for "I'm a Believer", has been slightly reedited by Joel and Ethan, though like the D.C. of BladeRunner it's actually a little bit shorter than the original cuts. It's tighter.

So...you should have asked me before you bought the VHS. I don't care how cheap it was.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Wait a second: you got this on VHS?!? Why, oh, why would you do that to yourself?
Because I had no clue there was a difference, and when I can view a film for a buck and change, or blow about 20 dollars, I'm going to take the cheap way. Three kids and all. I also know my luck enough to know, not to spend that much on one movie. Like the 300 dollar ride, my jeep just took straight up my . . . Colorful, but I think everyone gets the picture.

*edit*

It's funny, but I remember that now. I love Neil Diamond . . . Summerlove, Love on the Rocks, Turn On Your Heart Light . . . but DAMN, leave that one to The Monkees.

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy
It's funny, but I remember that now. I love Neil Diamond . . . Summerlove, Love on the Rocks, Turn On Your Heart Light . . . but DAMN, leave that one to The Monkees.
When you listen to "I'm a Believer", you can hear Neil's distinct rhythms and phrasings. If you can forget for two seconds that it was a zillion seller for The Monkees, it does sound like a Neil Diamond tune. Which it is. He wrote "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" and "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow" that were also recorded by The Monkees.

Neil Diamond and Carole King were two of the songwriters from the Brill Building who then made successful solo careers for themselves later. One of Carole's songs was a Monkees hit too, "Pleasant Valley Sunday".

But yeah, at some point see the DVD version of Blood Simple. Especially for the end credits, when the drums come in and the lyrics lament "It's The Same Old Song, but with a Different Meaning Since You've been Gone..." it's such a better fit and perfect capper for the movie.

When you listen to "I'm a Believer", you can hear Neil's distinct rhythms and phrasings. If you can forget for two seconds that it was a zillion seller for The Monkees, it does sound like a Neil Diamond tune. Which it is. He wrote "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" and "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow" that were also recorded by The Monkees.
Yeah, it didn't to me, for some reason. I'd say it was simply because I remembered The Monkees right away, like you said. I was obsessed with them, when I was young. I do remember Neil Diamond doing those two other songs, though. I could swear that a certain female singer also sang Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow. For some reason, I want to say Julie Andrews, but that has got to be wrong. This will nag at me now. For all I know, I have the wrong song, as well. Well, I'm way off topic, so I'll go . . .

I am half agony, half hope.
I'm wondering why I can't find How Green Was My Valley on a list? Am I missing it somewhere? It was a very good movie, and it won 5 Academy awards against it's competition; Citizen Kane, and The Maltese Falcon in 1941. It should be worth a mention by some guy wielding a pen to write a movie list, shouldn't it?

Johann von Goethe

I just watched Meet Me In St.Louis and that is one overrated movie. I mean sure it's a good fluff film, But underneath the fluff there is very little substance and apart from the songs this film is completely forgetable.

Also, just watched It's A Wonderful Life. What a great twist on A Christmas Carol. Such a well put together film and filled with the brim with memorable and emotional moments. I just about lost it at the end. This is probably my favorite Christmas movie of all time(That's saying alot because I hate Christmas movies.).

So many good movies, so little time.
On OFCS's Sci Fi List

Second Invasion of Body Snatchers should be 1978

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

So many good movies, so little time.
Overall, Sci-Fi List looks pretty good. On first glance, missing - A Boy and His Dog, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, Minority Report and Children of Men.

On OFCS's Sci Fi List

Second Invasion of Body Snatchers should be 1978
I wonder if that's just a misprint. That second Invasion probably doesn't need to be on there, does it?

I agree with you on Children of Men and Logan's Run.

I tried to watch Man of the West Tuesday night, but lord it was boring me to sleep. The last three movies I've watched with Lee J. Cobb in them had his character yelling a lot of the time. Was he typecast as the angry guy? I may never finish my 100 best westerns list. Just not my cup of tea, westerns.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lee J. Cobb is very calm and quiet in The Exorcist, but in the '50s, he could play boisterous, argumentative types.

I looked at your list, and the Westerns I think you'd enjoy the most would be Destry Rides Again, Dodge City, High Noon, Support Your Local Sheriff!, Broken Arrow, Johnny Guitar, The Naked Spur, Yellow Sky, One-Eyed Jacks and Little Big Man. Even though Man of the West has developed a reputation over the years, I find it to be rather minor. Then again, if you just want to watch great movies, don't forget The Professionals and The Ox-Bow Incident. Don't give up yet.

The Birdman of Alcatraz, although why its called that I'm not really sure, probably just so they could use the Alcatraz moniker to attract more people. He actually did all the stuff with the birds in Leavenworth penitentiary in Kansas. I love movies about true events or in this case real people. Even though, and make no mistake this was a murderer. I'm happy for him in that he was able to do something with his life.

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
Hah, this is such a cool feature. I'm gonna get to finishing off the AFI Top 100 once this year's over. I can't believe some of the "classic" movies I've managed to skip. I'm moving Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz up on my Netflix right now.

A system of cells interlinked
I wonder if that's just a misprint. That second Invasion probably doesn't need to be on there, does it?

I agree with you on Children of Men and Logan's Run.
I think it certainly belongs on the list. Great stuff. My favorite version of the story...

I think it certainly belongs on the list. Great stuff. My favorite version of the story...
I don't really have a problem with it either I suppose, I've seen both and liked both. The 1956? version is listed twice now however.

I don't find the average Blockbuster's lack of selection at all surprising - they're pitiful 999 times out of 1,000. If you must rent from a chain, Hollywood Video is usually much, much better than Blockbuster when it comes to films older than a few years ago (they even carry movies with *gasp* subtitles!). But I would recommend you search out one of the independents in your area. I haven't been to any of these of course (never having lived in Southern California), but Gateway Video over on Del Amo Boulevard & Paramount Boulevard and Movietime Video on Bellflower Boulevard & South Street are two places to check out.
Thanks for the information, Gunslinger. I went to Movietime today, and I filled out a membership. They don't have all the titles I need, but they have plenty to help me winnow down my lists.

I'm really not proud of the fact that AFI's 100 Years Of Musicals is basically the only list in which I've gotten above 50%. There's so many great films out there that I've not yet seen, and it's just sad. But I definitely plan to rectify all that in the future.

Here's some movies from the various lists that I quite enjoyed:
The Color Purple - Absolutely one of the most powerfully moving films I've ever seen. Frankly, I think it's a crime that this movie got 11 Oscar nominations and didn't win ANY.

Wait Until Dark - One of the best thrillers ever. As always, Audrey Hepburn is stellar in this one.

The Birds - My all time favorite Hitchcock film. Just great performances all around, and good, albeit primitive, special effects.

What's Love Got To Do With It - Why Angela Bassett didn't get an Oscar for this is beyond me. Absolutely one of the finest performances I've ever seen. It also doesn't hurt that I'm a Tina fan.

I love musicals, too, Joey. Since thrillers seem to be another genre you like, might I suggest you watch North by Northwest, and Dial M for Murder to get started on your MOFO lists? I think you'd like them.

I finished watching Sullivan's Travels, and as I checked it off my list, I saw that there are two more Preston Sturges' movies on the 100 laughs list. I can see why since he has a gift for dialogue.

This movie was very fun, and he seems to have a working relationship with William Demarest (like Burton and Depp) as he's in a lot of his films.

I'll be checking out his other comedies very soon.