Awesome Actor/Director Stories That You've Read/Heard?

Tools    

I read that a fan looked up Vincent Price in the phone book and called him up-had a two hour chat with him.
Vincent Price was ace .

John Boorman has told some great stories about Lee Marvin, including Marvin pretending to be drunk when Boorman was having difficulties on the set of Point Blank, buying him time.

The best thing I ever read about Tom Cruise (quite a few years ago) was that when he attends a première of one of his movies, he always stays outside until he has signed autographs for everyone there. Does he stay outside until everyone has snapped a selfie these days? I don’t know, but the autographs thing always stuck in my mind as a gracious thing to do for his fans.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The best thing I ever read about Tom Cruise (quite a few years ago) was that when he attends a première of one of his movies, he always stays outside until he has signed autographs for everyone there. Does he stay outside until everyone has snapped a selfie these days? I don’t know, but the autographs thing always stuck in my mind as a gracious thing to do for his fans.
Yeah, I think people appreciate when anyone goes above and beyond.

My mind is a blank for stories, but I have 15 windows opened, music, etc..

*obligatory Werner Herzog/Joaquin Phoenix car crash mention*
Werner Herzog threatening to shoot Klaus Kinski (if he left filming of Aguirre) was pretty gnarly .

Yeah, I think people appreciate when anyone goes above and beyond.

My mind is a blank for stories, but I have 15 windows opened, music, etc..
At first I read that as windows as in windows in your house. I'm obviously pining for simpler times.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
"I don't know if you've heard it, but there's a word of praise, a compliment from Mizoguchi to Ozu that's very beautiful, and that relates to this. One day, a journalist asked Mizoguchi if he liked his colleague Ozu's films, and he replied: ‘Of course.’ ‘Why?’ ‘Because I think that what he does is much more difficult and mysterious than what I do.’ (3) That’s an enormous compliment because you know better than I that Mizoguchi is considered a poetic and mysterious director, and Ozu a very down to earth, very realistic director. It's Mizoguchi who says: what that gentleman does with these doors is more difficult than what I'm doing. There are the doors, once again! It's beautiful because Mizoguchi is the director of mysteries, of secrets, while Ozu is the director of doors, or windows, of entries and exits, of marriage, of very basic things. It's as if Mizoguchi said: I who spin mystery with all of this fog, I'm nothing next to a fellow who films doors and back streets. That, that's much more difficult and mysterious. That's a statement of genius. That, to me, is the greatest compliment that one director can make to another, and the most beautiful definition of documentary, of fiction, realism, and the imagination." - Pedro Costa
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I always like the story from David Niven about Michael Curtiz on Charge of the Light Brigade.

Originally Posted by extracted from the internet
On the set of 'The Charge of the Light Brigade', when, wanting to see stray horses wandering through the battle, Curtiz directed the wranglers to "Bring on the empty horses". When Niven and Flynn cracked up laughing, he responded with:'You people, you think I know f**k nothing; I tell you: I know f**k all"
I bought Niven't book Bring On the Empty Horses based off that one story.

This might just do nobody any good.
Werner Herzog threatening to shoot Klaus Kinski (if he left filming of Aguirre) was pretty gnarly .
Some villagers offered to kill Kinski for him during the filming of Fitzcarraldo.

Some villagers offered to kill Kinski for him during the filming of Fitzcarraldo.
They did . My favourite of Herzog's films.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Have you seen My Best Fiend, which is about Kinski and Herzog's love-hate relationship? Great documentary. I have the VHS of it.

German actress Veronica Ferres found her dream come true when she got to work with Herzog on Salt and Fire. I did an interview with her about working with him and about the film.

Have you seen My Best Fiend, which is about Kinski and Herzog's love-hate relationship? Great documentary. I have the VHS of it.
Oh yeah, I loved it .

German actress Veronica Ferres found her dream come true when she got to work with Herzog on Salt and Fire. I did an interview with her about working with him and about the film.
I'll have a look at that, ta.

Ed Neumeier in the DVD commentary of RoboCop.

He wanted a certain squib effect in the gas pumps at the gas station scene, which was impossible at the time due to technology and budget, and got into an argument with the effects team which lead to one of the effects guys grabbing an axe and trying to kill him

It does sound like typical Herzog, that . I don't know Veronica Ferres but it's great when stories like this come up – people getting to work with their heroes. Nice anecdote about Michael Shannon there too; I agree with her, he is one of the best actors today.

Richard Pryor pointed a gun at director Paul Schrader after Schrader asked him to do 3 takes of a scene in Blue Collar.
Apparently Pryor's behaviour caused Schrader to have a nervous breakdown as well.

Tom Hardy made the news recently as well. Good story this time:

He witnessed a robbery, and the robber tried to escape through some tight winding alleyways... Tom gave chase, jumping over garden fences and stuff, like a scene from a British crime movie

He caught up with the guy, tackled him to the ground and beat the crap out of him, then handed him over to the cops.

Reporters asked him some questions and all he said was "I caught the f*cker"