The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Still haven't seen Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, BUT, I did catch up on finally seeing 39 Steps

Donat is BEYOND charming and this was a clever little spy mystery with all the quick-witted maneuvers that would become a staple of such films. Truly enjoyed this.

Watched 59/91 (64.8%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Top Five
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) Babes in Toyland aka March of the Wooden Soldiers (Didn't Make it)

MY nomination for a Laurel & Hardy film, though they share a lot of the screen time with the rest of the cast. My favorite bit as always been the final battle between Barnaby's bogeymen and the denizens of Toyland. Just f@ckin delightful.
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Dawn Patrol (Didn't Make It)

25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

EDIT:
one more to the list of Jean Gabin films; Daybreak aka Le Jour le leve

After committing murder, a man locks himself away in his room and we join him as he recalls all that has occurred leading up to it.
Some beautiful cinematography mixed with the melancholy philosophy of romance, love and the mistrust of it all.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm sorry that I haven't been around for the last couple of weeks, but I've been very busy recently. I'll try to catch up quickly.

These are the movies that made my list:
I was hoping that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs would place higher on the countdown, but I'm glad to see that it at least made it this high. It was #1 on my list.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see Trouble in Paradise make it this high on the countdown. It was #8 on my list.

My Man Godfrey has always been one of my favorite movies, so I was glad to see it make it this high on the countdown. It was #16 on my list.

I'm glad to see that Mr. Smith Goes to Washington made it into the top 10 on the countdown. It was #22 on my list.

I love My Fair Lady, so I had to watch Pygmalion before making my list. I knew that I would probably like it, but I was surprised at how much I loved it. It was #23 on my list.

These were the near-misses from my list:
The Adventures of Robin Hood is a fun adventure, but it just missed my list.

Jezebel might have made my list if it was a top 30, but it just missed my top 25.

A Night at the Opera and Duck Soup are both great movies, but I apparently chose a Marx Brothers movie that nobody else included on their list.

I was sure that The Thin Man was on my list, but I just checked, and somehow I must have cut it in the last round of cuts.

The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps are both great movies, but neither made my list.

My List (so far):
1) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
4) Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
6) Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
8) Trouble in Paradise (1932)
9) Bachelor Mother (1939)
10) You Can't Take It with You (1938)
15) The Awful Truth (1937)
16) My Man Godfrey (1936)
19) The Young in Heart (1938)
22) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
23) Pygmalion (1938)

Yes! I make no secret of my love of James Stewart as my favorite actor of all-time and his collaborations with Frank Capra. I don't care if their movies together are considered corny, I love 'em all, and this one, even if it's a wishful thinking type of movie, is what I need from time-to-time to help me believe that the whole world isn't crooked and that there's maybe at least one person out there who's not totally selfish. Just feel-good greatness and I'm so happy to see it made the Top Ten!

#2 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (10)
#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#7 The Thin Man (25)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#9 King Kong (16)
#10 A Night at the Opera (27)
#11 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (17)
#12 My Man Godfrey (31)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#19 Stagecoach (23)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)
#22 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (28)
#23 The Roaring Twenties (21)

No way would Freaks get made today. But I'm glad good ole Tod Browning had the guts to make such an unusual film...Because we find out that these so called 'freaks' are very human and compassionate, and deeply care for each other...While the beautiful woman trapzez artist is the real freak because her heart is so damn evil.

Freaks is not on my list, but very worthy of the countdown and I'm glad it made it! A bit surprised that it placed this high. I expect for every person who appreciates this film, there's another that is put off by it. Thank goodness for Pre-Code films!

Phew, had virtually given up hope of Freaks showing up - an enjoyable (and imo reasonably powerful) tale that builds some nice atmosphere which snuck onto my ballot at #23. Safe to say I did not expect it to crack the top 10 overall but am just pleased it made it.

Seen: 63/92
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
8. Things To Come

I love midgets

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
4. King Kong (#16)
5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
6. Freaks (#9)
8. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#28)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
11. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (#11)
12. The Blue Angel (#38)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
14. Jezebel (#29)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)
24. The Thin Man (#25)
25. Make Way for Tomorrow (#32)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Freaks is great!

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Aw man, Duck Soup so low?! I'm shocked! Shocked and scandalized! Boooo!

In case it isn't obvious, Duck Soup was my #1, and I'm not sure it was close. All the stuff I said about A Night at the Opera, about timeless comedy, applies all the more to this film. The spin move by the mirror remains one of the funniest things I've seen in my life.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Freaks came in at #2 and I truly expected it to be in the final three, though I will happily settle for the Top Ten ring.
Very powerful and unforgettable film that, as CR expressed showed the humanity within the freaks and the freak within those who label them such.

Not sure how things are falling into place so I'll hold off, for now, revealing another that isn't making the list.

Watched 60/92 (65.2%)
List: 16/25 + (1 pointer)

1) Top Five
2) Freaks (#9)
3) My Man Godfrey (#31)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8) A Night at the Opera (#27)
9) Downright shame if it doesn't
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11) Fearing greatly for this one
12) Camille (#96)
13) Jezebel (#29)
14) Dr. Jekell & Mr. Hyde (#28)
15) The Thin Man (#25)
16) Top 10
17) Fingers crossed
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#40)
21) Babes in Toyland aka March of the Wooden Soldiers (Didn't Make it)

MY nomination for a Laurel & Hardy film, though they share a lot of the screen time with the rest of the cast. My favorite bit as always been the final battle between Barnaby's bogeymen and the denizens of Toyland. Just f@ckin delightful.
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23) Frankenstein (#19)
24) Dawn Patrol (Didn't Make It)

25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)