Great Hick movies from the 1970s

Tools    

I was a kid in the seventies in Florida. I just got done watching White Lightning, and am finishing up The Sugarland Express, both are fantastic. Does anyone know of any other great 70s movies based in the south? I've already seen Gator (bad sequel but had its moments) and the Smokey and the Bandits (too many times). These are like time capsules turned to life for me.

Good movie. 1970s. Based in the south. Please help TONGO!

Over the years, I've sat through a bunch of them. For a while it was a cross-cultural exploration. I ended up being glad that I was not living in small town Alabama back in the 1930's at all, not to mention glad to not be obviously from a minority group in that universe. Some that come to mind that I recall being pretty good were - Deliverance, Walking Tall, The Sugarland Express, Rolling Thunder, Norma Rae, Wise Blood, etc.

A special place in my memory was reserved for The Legend of Boggy Creek and Return to Boggy Creek.

I'd have to wear a disguise if I were to enter a theater to see Smokey and the Bandit, in part due to the plot and in part due to having to sit through 90 minutes of New Yorker Jackie Gleason chewing the scenery, faking a not-New York accent, spewing bombast and leading with his gut.

Anybody in need of a really big but much older cultural shock can stream Birth of a Nation, the silent one from 1915 and find out how the Klan rescued southern white womanhood.

Back to the 70's, don't miss Swamp Girl or Frogs, and I seem to recall that Sounder actually got good reviews.

If you are in the need for an extensive list, check out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

"Good" is a relative term, so I'm going to ignore that qualifier.

Bootleggers (1974)
Georgia Peaches aka Follow That Car (1980)
Bad Georgia Road (1977)
Boxcar Bertha (1972)
The Girls From Thunder Strip (1970)

are some that I've seen. Some of them are not great.

In case anybody needs a refresher....trucks, car crashes, babes, moonshine, boot-leg beer (who would bootleg Coors????) banjos, hound-dogs and made-up accents -

https://www.tcm.com/video/81679/smok...ginal-trailer/

Deliverance
Hard Times
The Legend of Boggy Creek

I haven't seen Walking Tall, but I think it fits into this category.
I got Walking Tall, and yes it does fit. I hadnt seen Hard Times in years, will seek it out, and The Legend of Boggy Creek too

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive (1976)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

From 1981, but still a 1970s vibe...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra