Movie Tab II

Tools    

The problem lies in that you say you're not a film critic and can't explain why is a movie good
Where and when did I say this?

basically that your ratings are pure subjectivity and objectivity, yet you act and speak as if these are objective facts
You have come to this conclusion how?

Surely if you're rating subjectively on enjoyment and not having any objectivity (otherwise Harold and Maude wouldn't be 0.5) then you can understand when someone rates them higher than you...
So it HAS to be one or the other? It's not possible to rate them both subjectively and objectively at the same time?

Look, the worst thing when it comes to movies is if you lie to yourself, and pretend to like something that in reality you don't. This isn't the case with me. Never has been, and never will be. If I love a film I'll make my thoughts clear and I won't be ashamed to admit I love that film even if the majority thinks it's trash.

And it will be the same for those that I hated. For me, each film starts at
, or at 0/100. Once the film is over I will assign my score. I don't care what the standard is or how well received that film is. If you look at films differently because they're classics, or they've received great reviews, or because they're in the Sight and Sound polls, then I feel sorry for you. That's when the thoughts and opinions of others take over, and you no longer view films with the state of mind that you should.

I can say whatever I like. Like I said, I'm not writing reviews here because I'm not a reviewer. On another film, the last time I posted here, I simply said "Meh". Is that useful? I don't think so. Do I care? No, I don't. Does it make my feelings toward the film clear, and does it say whether I liked the film or not? Yes, it does! And that's all I care about. I'm assuming that's what people care about too when they read my comment next to my rating. They'll be interested in seeing whether I liked that film or I didn't. Whether I thought it was any good or worth seeing. I'm no Ebert. Or Rosenbaum. Or Pauline Kael. Hold your horses dude.
A comment that says "it's the worst film I've seen all year" is not something people care about. People do care about the reasons behind your "hate" for a certain film. People don't care about hollow opinions. People care about arguments. Not just me, but every thinking human being does!

Again, I am not a film critic. I could write a long review on the film if I really wanted to, and maybe then I could have attempted to properly analyze the film, but I feel as though you're totally missing the point of this thread and how people use it.
I'm not totally missing the point of this thread. You are. It's kind of laughable that you actually dare accusing me of that.
The point of this thread is to post your "ratings" of movies, but if you're not willing to talk about your opinion, why would you even want to share it in the first place (especially in such a forceful way as you did)? Forums are meant to generate interesting discussions about certain topics.
So, if you're deciding to share your opinion and then suddenly start acting surprised when someone asks to substantiate that opinion a little bit (especially when it's presented in a dogmatic manner), THAT seems to be missing the point.

If you actually look at the origins of this particular thread, by the way, it's just people saying which movies they've seen lately (without rating them or anything like that). It has evolved into something much more interesting over time. People are posting their ratings and sometimes they're asked for an explanation.
This thread has a rich history of interesting discussions about certain movies. If you think that's missing the point of this thread, well, then you couldn't be more wrong, in my opinion.

Because it's poop.
That's just sad. If you're completely unwilling or incapable to talk on a reasonable level about this, just say so.

My reaction to this film wasn't from a random gut feeling. There are so many things and details that I take into consideration when I rate films, and it was the same with this film. I already explained what I didn't like and I don't want to sound repetitive by listing once again all the things I disliked. Here, and in pretty much every other thread in this forum, I try to be as brief as possible, especially when I'm commenting on my ratings. You're confusing comments with reviews. A review would allow me to write an entire paragraph on Harold's character alone for instance. In a review, I would explain why I hated his character, why the film's execution bothered me, and why the whole thing didn't work for me in general.
You haven't explained anything about your feelings towards this film. The only thing we can deduce from your posts is that you somehow hate the film on every level. Do you really believe that's a proper explanation? You're shouting accusations, but you haven't explained one single bit of your hate.

Look, to me Harold and Maude is an absolute embarrassment. It's not just the worst film I've seen all year, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen period. I'm making the film appear to be a complete piece of crap because that's what it was to me, and my explanation to my rating, followed by my additional comment afterwards, should surely be enough for people to understand my position.
You seem to be confusing "understanding" with "knowing". We know your position, but noone can possibly understand it because you haven't explained it.

For all I know, you just watched the cover of the film and gave it a bad rating, because you don't like Harold's face. That's how thin your effort to explain your position is.

You're seriously overreacting. How am I acting like a fool if I simply didn't like a film, and then explained why I didn't like it? It's normal for another person to absolutely loathe a film you love. You have to move on.
You're acting like a fool, because you seem convinced that you actually explained why you didn't like this film.
It's totally normal for someone to hate a film I like, but if that person is completely unwilling or unable to explain the reasons behind their hate, the value of their opinion automatically equals zero. I simply don't understand why anyone would ever want to share an opinion that they don't even want to explain (or can explain).

Look, the worst thing when it comes to movies is if you lie to yourself, and pretend to like something that in reality you don't. This isn't the case with me. Never has been, and never will be. If I love a film I'll make my thoughts clear and I won't be ashamed to admit I love that film even if the majority thinks it's trash.
Not at all. The worst thing you can do when it comes to movies or life in general, is taking your own gut feeling as the only general truth and never bothering to explain or understand the reasons behind your opinion properly.

Instead of just defending your right to make shallow comments, you could've actually just defended and substantiated your opinion about Harold and Maude properly (which was actually the purpose of my earlier posts) and I would've been completely satisfied.

Somehow you don't seem to be willing to do that, which seems rather odd to me...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Anyways back to film ratings

La Dolce Vita

Flubber

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring

The Virgin Spring

Ponyo-

Man on Fire
+ REWATCH

Fantastic Mr. Fox
- I can't remember who it was (I think it was either Cob or Swan) said they'd be interested to hear what I thought of this. Well, a couple of weeks ago I saw it was on, so I decided to watch it. Sadly it was everything I feared it would be and a little bit worse. As I've said from the moment I saw the trailer, I hate the look of the models. Ugly looking things that make me feel scratchy, I hated looking at them. I repeatedly thought about turning it off, but stuck with it because I'd decided to try it. So, I hate the look of it, which is what I expected. What I didn't expect was to not like the sound of it, either. There were a couple of pieces in the score which I really didn't like at all, but none of it appealed to me. Also, the choice of voices were terrible and that did surprise me. Maybe it was because they were American, but it didn't work for me at all. In fact, the only good thing about this was that it made me want to really read the book again. God, I loved that book as a kid. When the film sticks to the book, it's OK, but everything else really didn't work for me at all.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
- So, as you might be able to tell, I'm watching some films that I normally wouldn't. I saw this when it came out and I thought it was rubbish. I saw it was on TV the other day, so I decided to give it a go. It's actually worse than I remember it. Firstly, I really hate Roger Rabbit. What an annoying character. There were times where I had to do something else as it was the only way I was going to keep going with it. Get rid of the rabbit, the cameo toons, the weasels, Judge Doom, the slapstick and Bob Hoskins accent and, maybe, there'd be something there I'd like to watch. Maybe. I honestly think I'd rather watch A Clockwork Orange than that.

Ghost Shark
- Thank you for films like this. This is a ridiculous film which tackles the age old problem of shark movies. Get out of the sea and you're fine. How go you get around this? Kill the shark, have some mumbo jumbo mean that the shark now exists in spirit only, then have it turn up in any water, anywhere in the town. Genius. Toilets, buckets, sprinkler systems. My favourite kill is a man who drinks the shark when it ghosts into a water cooler. It's superb stuff. The only real problem is that it doesn't really all make sense, even in the world of the film which is, naturally, a problem. But I'd happily watch this five times back to back than suffer either of the other two again.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
On second thought, people should not share their reasons for liking or hating a movie - they're poop!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring
Elaborate.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I can understand your feelings for Fantastic Mr. Fox, I've never even read the book and I agree with pretty much everything you've said. But your hatred for Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Really? Really?! I just don't get it. But then you're the same guy who doesn't like Indiana Jones and loves Charlie's Angels so I have to consider the source.

if i may be so bold as to interject my personal opinion on the BlueLion vs Cobpyth prize fight!

Thinking it's as simple as this. folks who like a particular movie enjoy reading thoughtful reviews on it, even if they're thoughtful negative reviews

yet, it's often not the first instinct to be particularly thoughtful about a movie one has just suffered through

basically, i can see where both are coming from. Cobpyth wishes to see a thoughtful review, BlueLion simply didn't respect the movie enough to give it more of his time than he already had

gotten to the point where i don't like internet arguments that seem to be going nowhere. i've been a part of them on other forums and sometimes hoped a voice of reason would chime in, that never came. not sure if this will be that, but i tried

basically, i can see where both are coming from. Cobpyth wishes to see a thoughtful review, BlueLion simply didn't respect the movie enough to give it more of his time than he already had
That's not completely what it is. My main complaint is that you shouldn't shout things like "worst film ever made" or "it's an embarrassment" if you're not even remotely willing or capable to back it up. It's useless.

Also, he has probably spent much more time to defend his right to not explain his opinion, than the few minutes a normal person would need to give some valid arguments to substantiate his/her opinion.

I'm sorry. I think I'm being pretty reasonable here.

That's all.

Person A: "This film is the worst film I've seen all year. I would rather drown in a pit of boiling hot oil than watch this again."

Person B: "Euhm, it would be a little more interesting if you would actually explain why you hate the film so much."

Person A: "These are just comments! I'm not a reviewer. Since you asked: I think every aspect of it sucks. It thinks it's about something, but it's about NOTHING and the main character should be punched in the face."

Person B: "Euhm, you still didn't actually explain why you hated the film. You just pretty much said everything is bad about it. Could you be more specific? I think people who state strong opinions like you just did should at least be able to explain that opinion properly, otherwise they seem quite foolish."

Person A: "I can say whatever I like. I'm not Roger Ebert. I only care about saying whether I liked a film or not and I assume that's also the only thing other people care about. I think everyone understands my position. This is a comment, not a review. I already said I didn't like it. That's what this thread is for. You seem to be missing the point. The film is an absolute embarrasment! You're overreacting.
The worst thing someone can do, is to lie to themselves."

Person B: "I think people actually care more about the reasons behind your hate for the film. Everyone knows your position, but noone can possibly understand it, deduced from what you've just written about it. The purpose of this thread and of forums in general is to generate discussions, so you shouldn't be surprised when someone asks to explain your opinion a little more thoughtfully.
The worst thing someone can do is take their own gut feeling for granted and not even attempting to think a little deeper about their own opinion. Instead of just defending your right to not explain your opinion about this film, you should just explain it."

Person A: "This is seriously getting ridiculous."

Which I did. And then you resorted to personal attacks.
You still believe you've actually explained your opinion?

Show me one personal attack, by the way. I only stated you were acting like a fool, which is about your actions (acting/action, you get it?) and is definitely not a personal attack in any way (I actually explicitly stated that I don't think you are a fool).

This whole discussion and especially your responses only prove that you're unable or unwilling to defend your own opinions, even though you're expressing them in a very extreme and dogmatic way, and that you're somehow taking this very personally, which is totally unnecessary.