Something in the Air (2012) by Olivier Assayas
+

Silver Linings Playbook

Short Films:

Flux/fall (2012) by Dan Browne

Castro Street (1966) by Bruce Baillie

Consume (2003) by Dominic Angerame

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Great cinematography in horror film? Yay!

Breaking the Waves -

Pokłosie -

Bad Lieutenant -

Secrets & Lies -

W ciemności -

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -

Salto -
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Spiders -
It's not good, but it just about keeps your attention for the duration. However, it's almost completely lacking in fun or idiocy, two things I usually find essential in enjoying this type of film. This just leaves the ridiculous plotting and narritive to entertain.

Starship Troopers 2: Hero Of The Federation -
I knew this was nothing like the first film, but I wasn't prepared for just how unlike it it is. I really didn't care for it at all until it it kicked into a bodysnatcher/The Thing type film. I really like those, so I'll forgive a lot. Maybe people who don't like/see the satire of the first film watches it as I do this? I'd watch this again, just to watch it in the knowledge of what it is. Maybe I'd like it more.

Silent Running -
I saw this when I was about 12 and I remembered it being a kind of hippy space bore, where nothing really happened. The thing was, I couldn't remember a single thing about it. Nothing. Not a frame. So it was interesting, to me at least, to watch this and find I'd describe it exactly the same way having watched it again as I would've before. I know it's a cult favourite and a Sci-Fi classic, but I don't get it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Alice in Wonderland(Norman Z. McLeod, 1933)

No Greater Glory (Frank Borzage, 1934)

Blue Hawaii (Norman Taurog,1962)

Flaming Star (Don Siegel, 1960)

These Thousand Hills (Richard Fleischer, 1959)

Kinky Boots (Julian Jerrold, 2005)
-

Back to the Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)

Back to the Future Part II (Robert Zemeckis, 1989)

Back to the Future Part III (Robert Zemeckis, 1990)

Footlight Parade (Lloyd Bacon & Busby Berkeley, 1933)

The Lonely Guy (Arthur Hiller, 1984)
-
Bio-Dome (Jason Bloom, 1996)
-
The Millionairess (Anthony Asquith, 1960)
+
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (Lasse Hallstrom, 2011)

You’re a Big Boy Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1966)

Nob Hill (Henry Hathaway, 1945)

The Revolt of Mamie Stover (Raoul Walsh, 1956)

Vengeance is Mine (Shohei Imamura, 1979)

A Merry War (Robert Bierman, 1997)
+
The Shopworn Angel (H.C. Potter, 1938)
+
Boom Town (Jack Conway, 1940)
+

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Someone get on to Guiness World Records and find out the record for most films watched in a year. Whatever the number I think Mark may shatter it!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Help

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Manhattan Murder Mystery

Scorpio Rising

The Kid Stays in the Picture

From Here to Eternity

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

Little Big Man

Cemetery Junction

Bal (Honey)

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

THX 1138

Touch of Evil

Nina's Heavenly Delights

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Thieves (Korean) a very good movie all the way around. Enjoyable cast and characters, great storyline with very good twists, intelligent capers and great pace

Silent Hill; Revelations
watched it mostly for the creatures. Acting and story was so-so

Total Recall (2010)
as far as remakes are concerned, had no idea why they would tear it apart at the very core, but beyond that, it was an amusing watch

Rango
this is a favorite out of the collection that i thoroughly enjoy on every level and re-watch quite often.

Rango
this is a favorite out of the collection that i thoroughly enjoy on every level and re-watch quite often.
You are my new favourite member, I love Rango

What I remember from past week:

Des Hommes et Des Dieux (2010, Beauvois):

One of the great French films of the century, up there with Un Prophète and 35 Shots of Rum. It's a very slow build, but you can sense that unforgivably tough ending approaching. Just the sheer fact that this is still compelling to the very end is a triumph in itself. I honestly can't think of a single thing I really dislike: great acting, beautiful cinematography, wonderful atmosphere setting, deliberately slow pacing which is necessary to really make the film hit home, and a truly remarkable message that it delivers.

If you've got 2 hours to sit in front of a screen, you'll have to look quite hard to find anything as good as this film to spend 'em on.

Role Models (2008, Wain):

The Paper (1994, Howard):

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946, Wyler):
+
The Dead (1987, Huston):
+
The Dilemma (2011, Howard):

Argo (2012, Affleck):
+
Pursued (1947, Walsh):

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Des Hommes et Des Dieux is truly magical. Especially the last supper scene with music from Swan Lake!

Terri (Azazel Jacobs, 2011)

Irene (Herbert Wilcox, 1940)

Virginia City (Michael Curtiz, 1940)
+
Incendies (Denis Villeneuve, 2010)
+

The Lady (Luc Besson, 2011)

We Who Are Young (Harold S. Bucquet, 1940)

Firestarter (Mark L. Lester, 1984)
+
Strange Cargo (Frank Borzage, 1940)

Code Unknown (Michael Haneke, 2000)

Babes On Broadway (Busby Berkeley, 1941)

Gay Purr-ee (Abe Levitow, 1962)

Don’t Say No Until I Finish Talking (Laurent Bouzereau, 2013)
+

Ill Met by Moonlight aka Night Ambush (Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1957)
+
So Long at the Fair (Antony Darnborough & Terence Fisher, 1950)

Driving Miss Daisy (Bruce Beresford, 1989)

The Call of Cthulhu (Andrew Leman, 2005)
-

Mirage (Edward Dmytryk, 1965)

Cold Creek Manor (Mike Figgis, 2003)

Have I the Right To Kill? aka The Unvanquished (Alain Cavalier, 1964)
+
Purple Noon (Rene Clement, 1960)

Born on the Fourth of July (1989) - actually,it's not that hard to tell that it's directed by Oliver Stone.Despite his more or less controversial themes,I am starting to think that some of his movies(especially political ones) just lack..art - some subtle hidden messages or silent pauses.I basically like O.Stone's ideas and interesting plots but since this one involves physical disability and I'm not a fan of that,I found the film very unmemorable.On the other hand,it was quite educating and it managed to disturb me at times (like soldier hospitals),so

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) - I'd describe this film as a combination of video games and conventional love story presented in modern ways.I like original ideas in films and I tend to overrate such movies even if I don't like them.This one was interesting to watch(that's obvious) but I'm not sure if I liked it.However,I'm pretty sure I will not see it again as I don't miss anything from it.

The Hitcher (1986) - watched it only because of the villain(Rutger Hauer) acting performance and actually that is what I liked most about the film.The beginning was very promising but I was bored by it towards the end and even if it's quite a short feature movie,I felt like it is strained towards the end.Might see again.

Dirty Girl (2010) - I don't like talking about bad films but basically this road comedy has everything that I don't like in film - conventional characters,unrealistic story,way too sentimental family drama,not funny humor and no desire to get back to the movie.

A Clockwork Orange (1971) - being not a big fan and viewer of disturbing films,I really can't call this my favorite but it's probably the only uncomfortable content movie which I can take. It's a rewatch,so I was able to analyze it more.I remembered that in this forum there was a discussion about Kubrick being not "close to human" and I'm thinking that I may agree with it.But despite the idea that his movies may not have a lot of contact with humanity,they plenty of contact with fantasy.It amazes me how Kubrick managed to make A Clockwork Orange exactly the way it is.By the way,I'd like to praise the dialogue,whether the credit goes to Kubrick or Burgess.

Into the Wild (2007) - It might be a good film but I don't connect with it at all.Actually,I don't even understand whether the story is optimistic or depressing.The characters for me were extremely uninteresting as was the conclusion and I didn't like the non-linear structure of the movie.Funny thing is that I saw this film maybe 3-4 years ago and I didn't like it for the same reasons.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - watched,enjoyed,forgot. No,actually it was my first time seeing the film and it really wasn't memorable.It's good for the single watch and it is interesting,I really liked the TV game inclusion (great contrast!) and I think that the idea of the movie was to show that knowledge doesn't come from schools and universities,it comes from life and I liked that idea.But basically that's it.This is my third Danny Boyle movie and the least favorite but still watchable.

mark f.....what are some movies that you give more than four bags of popcorn to?

I believe he's said that he only gave more than a 4, somewhere around 30 times. Back to The Future is one and that was in his last post, also his top ten films are more than
I guess.

*L'avventura (Antonioni, 1960)

*The Bird with a Crystal Plumage (Argento, 1970)

*The Mist (Darabont, 2007)

*30 Days of Night (Slade, 2007)

*Kind Hearts and Coronets (Hamer, 1949)

The Apple (Golan, 1980)
- As terrible as this is, watch it. It's amazing.
Upstream Colour (Carruth, 2013)

[short] Nocturne (von Trier, 1980)

* = rewatch

Basically the top 30 here, but the next few are close and a few of the add-ons later in the post qualify too.
Thanks...I like the inclusion of Alfie and Little Big Man. Haven't seen those at the top of many lists.

My question was a light-hearted semi-rhetorical one. But it is interesting that you set the bar very high for any movie that, in effect, qualifies for anything over 80 percent.

I grew up when 4 stars was the highest rating. I feel with the addition of an extra star, 4 stars still qualifies as great and that anything above that has to be very special for me. I rate few films 0-1 star too, so it's somewhat symmetrical.

Kinda like 'Turn it up to 11'