What I remember from the last 2 or 3 weeks:

The Messenger (2009, Moverman):

The American (2010, Corbijn):

The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2005, Loach):
+
Django Unchained (2013, Tarantino):
+
Silver Linings Playbook (2013, O. Russell):

Hmm, this starts off very edgy, but then drifts into more conventional themes and throughout it sort of lacks the courage of its own convictions. Still, this isn't a bad film by any means. It's well-paced, well edited, nicely directed and boasts some good performances. Good to see the raging bull show up again in non-routine mode.

Into the Abyss (2011, Herzog):
+
Haywire (2011, Soderbergh):
+

Not even sure what this was supposed to be, but it was VERY well shot (and extremely violent, ha).

The Raid Redemption (2012):

Goodfellas (1990):
(rewatch)
Shoot the Piano Player (1960):

The Uninvited (2009):

The Intouchables (2012):

Audition (1999):

Gangster Squad (2013):

Antichrist (2009):
(rewatch)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
* Nominated Oscar Best Picture

Only Angels Have Wings (Howard Hawks, 1939)

You Were Never Lovelier (William A. Seiter, 1942)

The Kingdom (Lars von Trier, 1994)

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. (Roy Rowland, 1953)

Top Gun (Ray Nazarro, 1955)

Bell Book and Candle (Richard Quine, 1958)

The Woman in Black (James Watkins, 2012)

Jumper (Doug Liman, 2008)

Skyfall (Sam Mendes, 2012)

The Harder They Fall (Mark Robson, 1956)

*The Caine Mutiny (Edward Dmytryk, 1954)

Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969)

*The Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean, 1957)

*Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)

*Awakenings (Penny Marshall, 1990)

Georgy Girl (Silvio Narizzano, 1966)
-
Racing Daylight (Nicole Quinn, 2007)

The Pagemaster (Maurice Hunt, Joe Johnston, 1994)

Waterworld (Kevin Reynolds, 1995)

Tales from the Vienna Woods (Stephen and Timothy Quay, 1992) - (short rating):

Mr. Thank You (Hiroshi Shimizu, 1936)

*Shanghai Blues (Hark Tsui, 1984)
+
The Crimson Pirate (Robert Siodmak, 1952)
+
*Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray, 1955)

Somewhere in the Night (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1946) Overly talky and with tiresome obligatory romantic elements, but still gets a
-
The Missouri Breaks (Arthur Penn, 1976)

*The Two-Alarm Fire (Dave Fleischer, 1934) - (short rating):

Bud Abbot and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (Charles Barton, 1948) - I actually think Abbot and Costello are the weakest part of this.
-
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel (Betty Thomas, 2009) - 'Chipwrecked' is better, but that's not saying much.

The Killers (Robert Siodmak, 1946)
-
Mutiny on the Bounty (Frank Lloyd, 1935)
+
The Wolf Man (George Waggner, 1941)
+
A Good Day to Die Hard (John Moore, 2013) - probably deserves a lower rating but I just can't bring myself to do it.

The Hare-Brained Hypnotist (Friz Freleng, 1942) - (short rating):

*Othello (Orson Welles, 1952)

The Perils of Pauline (George Marshall, 1947)
+
*Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (David Lynch, 1992) - David Lynch's 'Glen or Glenda' (not a bad thing in my book). I'm going to try re-watching the series. My favorite part of this movie is the dancing woman in the red dress.

Total Recall (Len Wiseman, 2012)

British Intelligence (Terry O. Morse, 1940)
+
*Penny Serenade (George Stevens, 1941)

Resident Evil: Retribution (Paul W.S. Anderson, 2012) - I give this the same rating as 'The Cabin in the Woods'.

*No! No! A Thousand Times No!! (Dave Fleischer, 1935) - (short rating):

*The Skeleton Dance (Ub Iwerks/DISNEY, 1929) - (short rating):

[* = re-watch]

Ikiru (1952) - I like films which give a story and lets the viewer to draw conclusions.This film has no story but draws all the conclusions for you.

Stander (2003) - the idea was good,the screenplay seems well-written and the film is interesting but I felt like it could have been directed better.

3 Idiots (2009) - well,it was entertaining and fun to watch but I think it has basically no cinematic value - mediocre shot,acted,written,very very predictable,way too sentimental and extremely absurd.Also,what's with the language?The characters are saying each sentences in both English and Indian(or whatever was it).Anyway,nothing that would want me to rewatch it.

Top Gun (1986) - you know how we got now these cliche romance comedies with pretty actors and extremely predictable plot?Well,Top Gun is exactly like that,only in the 80s.I'm guessing it was very popular in its time.Anyway,I felt funny watching it,it was very predictable and extremely cliche but how can I resist young Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer?They probably brought that aviator sunglasses fashion.

Dead Poet's Society (1989) and OSS 117: Le Caire, nid d'espions (2006) - rewatching my personal favorites.

Jane Eyre (1944)

Despite the second half of the film completely chucking away the novel, this is pretty good adaptation. The film noir staircase and sensibility works well and means that the film actually stands up quite well, even if Bertha is rather poorly done.

To be honest, who actually cares about the actresses who play Jane? Joan Fontaine is completely sidelined; if you want to see Fontaine doing her Jane Eyre thing, Rebecca's the film you've got to watch. She does do a good job though as a calm modest Jane, without looking sour (Charlotte Gainsbourg), flirty (Mia Wasikowska) or dull (Zelah Clarke in the 1983 BBC version, though Timothy Dalton was suitably Byronic as Rochester). Fontaine can do a pretty type of plain and she's very watchable. Perhaps she lacks a little fire but most of Jane's fire appears in the narrative rather than her actions. She's firecely assertive but not sour.

Onto Rochester. I was pretty sceptical about Orson Welles playing a Byronic romantic hero. Previous Rochesters have been on a spectrum from gorgeous (Dalton) to hunky (Michael Fassbender/Toby Stephens) to gruff but not unattractive (William Hurt). This is at odds with the book- Rochester's not meant to be attractive. He's meant to be swarthy and grumpy looking, old enough to be Jane's father. Yet he has to give off a certain Byronic appeal and I wasn't sure whether Welles could pull it off.

I loved his performance. Yes, you'll need the subtitles whenever he speaks but he's a typical Charlotte Bronte man: swarthy and wild. Despite previous Rochesters being attractive, I didn't find myself attracted to them in the role. They were too conventional, not tortured enough. As soon as Welles appears, he clearly has skeletons in his closet and Jane is a pleasant distraction.

Surprisingly for a 1940's film, it's pretty raunchy. Rochester's raunchy background is not bowdlerised or tamed and ooh, the Freudian imagery! Other adaptations have played the bit where Rochester falls off his horse as realism. Here, it's a raging Freudian symbol as the big black horse emerges from some clouds and rears up. Rochester can later be seen smoking a cigar. My favourite Freudian moment has to be this:
. I've never thought of the phrase "hard as India rubber" being interpreted in quite that way! Welles is just seething with virility throughout; he permenantly looks like he's going to jump Jane.

I gave the film 4 stars for the great film noir moments- Helen's death scene is filmed and played in a particularly disturbing way- but as an adaptation, I should probably tell it off for being naughty. St. John and his family are dispensed with completely in the narrative and things are all a little rushed after a promising beginning. Still, it's a fun watch and one of the better Jane Eyres. The child actresses are all pretty good as well, including a young Elizabeth Taylor.

* Oscar-Noninated Best Picture

Simon Birch (Mark Steven Johnson, 1998)
-
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Steven Spielberg, 1977)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Robert Zemeckis, 1988)

*Dead Poets Society (Peter Weir, 1989)

Good Morning, Vietnam (Barry Levinson, 1987)

Captain Fury (Hal Roach, 1939)
+
The Flim-Flam Man (Irvin Kershner, 1967)
-
There Goes My Heart (Norman Z. McLeod, 1938)
+
Merrily We Live (Norman Z. McLeod, 1938)

Topper (Norman Z. McLeod, 1937)

Topper Takes a Trip (Norman Z. McLeod, 1938)

Topper Returns (Roy Del Ruth, 1941)

*Dodsworth (William Wyler, 1936)

Ball of Fire (Howard Hawks, 1941)

The Westerner (William Wyler, 1940)

Jungle Book (Zoltan Korda, 1942)

Lydia (Julien Duvivier, 1941)

One Man’s Hero (Lance Hool, 1999)
-
The Four Feathers (Zoltan Korda, 1939)

The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)
-
The Fallen Idol (Carol Reed, 1948)

*The Private Life of Henry VIII (Alexander Korda, 1933)

Hotel Transylvania (Genndy Tartakovsky, 2012)

Decent animation that is by no means bad, but I definitely think this is one of those animations that children will enjoy far more than those who are older. Adam Sandler applies his comedic style to this film which makes for some cute and funny moments with a decent story which makes it watchable, but I did not find it particularly great or funny myself.

The Prestige (Christopher Nolan, 2006)

This is a film which I might try and watch again sometime soon, although its flaws are quite clear for me. The film spends so much time attempting to come across as something grand, sleak and stylish, with a mixture of darkness and class that make for a mysterious thriller, that what is at the centre of it is all a bit of a mess. Whilst the personal dual between Jackman and Bale's characters is interesting, there are just so many plot points that just seem stuck in to the film to make it work. Michael Caine's character outlines how a trick is made and how it can be divided into three parts. This film can be seen very much like a trick, it looks stylish and cool, and the first two acts are certainly enjoyable, but when it comes to the third act, The Prestige, where we want to be amazed, we are not with the a series of convenient details emerging to make for a neat ending.

The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard, 2012)

Whilst not spectacular, this film makes for enjoyable viewing and I thought it was a very good and original effort in its genre of choice. Paying homage and giving a unique spin to the slasher/horror genre, this film is extremely strange, but also very funny in the way it mixes ancient/mythical elements with modern scientific age elements. I actually found that the film in a way reminded me of the TV show Lost, where the island's ancient powers/chambers/monsters are manipulated by modern day scientists, DHARMA.

Lincoln (Steven Spielberg, 2012)

First of all I am going to say that I have no idea how historically accurate this film is, so that does not play any part in my opinion. What I will say is that when it comes to making films as a piece of entertainment, Spielberg is one of the best and manages to do this for me even with what could of been a potentially dull and drawn out topic and a running time of two and a half hours. This film is a drama that very much relies on the performances of its cast, Tommy Lee Jones is great in his supporting role but it is the Oscar winning performance of Daniel Day-Lewis that really makes the film what it is, watching him feels like you are watching Lincoln. I enjoyed the smaller appearances in the large ensemble cast, such as Michael Stuhlbarg, with some scenes in particular working really well for me with a lot of emotion coming out through conflicting prejudice opinions on the issue of slavery.

The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)

I have held off posting this in the Movie Tab for quite a bit now, I have now seen it twice, so why did I hold off initially posting? If you have seen the film (many have), then you will problem have an idea why, The Master is one of the most bizarre and mysterious films that I have ever seen, I could not stop thinking about it after first seeing it and simply had to give it another viewing.

My five star rating might be met with some controversy judging my member's opinions on it so far, I was initially going to go with a 4.5 rating but thought why should I hold back on one of the most memorable film watching experiences in recent time for me? When I first posted in this thread about watching Boogie Nights I recall awarding it a 4.5 rating, but since then it has become apparent that it's a 5 star film for me.

So what makes The Master deserving of such a high rating? Lets start with Joaquin Pheonix who gives a fantastic performance, even better than Daniel Day-Lewis for me, as the eccentric and lost Freddie Quell. In There Will Be Blood, Daniel Day-Lewis gave us a chilling performance of a man who was much more easier to comprehend, it was a film that was very formal in its approach and extremely cinematic, it had a beginning, a middle and the end and truly showed the transformation of one man in a haunting manner.

*Slight spoilers ahead

The Master is almost the opposite, the film opens with Freddie talking about getting rid of crabs, and ****ing women made out of sand on a beach. This is then followed by Freddie's attempts to fit into a normal life, partaking in jobs such as photography. But by the end of the film you won't feel as if the character of Freddie has changed at all, the piece of story telling is not complete. The final scene in which Freddie is sleeping with another girl, is brilliant, and hilarious at the same time, almost mocking viewers that expecting a conventional story of a man who was going to be changed by the cause.

Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a performance we have come to expect from him, truly great as a man whose character seems like PTA is once again mocking Scientology and cult practises. But this man, who attempts to be a master, is far from it in this film, whilst he controls Freddie to a certain degree, Freddie is ultimately unpredictable, extremely volatile and at times even understandable. He is constantly haunted by his own failures and his sexual instincts, he is a man obsessed by sex, take the scene where he imagines everyone naked as an example of this. Freddie wants to exert control over others, he beats up others for the cause, he shares a number of tense scenes with a young member of the cause during the middle part of the film, and he eventually abandons those who have tried to help him, before imagining himself receiving a phone call from Lancaster Dodd who he believes is expecting him, he wants to be the dominant male and this is reflected throughout.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the wall and the window scene, I had no problem with it the first time, and I loved it the second time. The film really allows us to get in to the mind of Freddie, in fact the whole narrative structure acts a metaphor for his frustrating and unfulfilled life, this scene in particular feels painful and without reward, just how Freddie feels.

Right now, that's some ramblings and attempt at justifying why I thought this truly was a modern day masterpiece from Paul Thomas Anderson, possibly my favourite director right now (cue, you're being bias! comments). I will definitely right up a thorough and better written/structured review in the future.

Just remembered to make a comment on the score of this film from Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood. Once again contrasting with the formal, cinematic style of the music in There Will Be Blood where it is very much used to dramatise particular scenes, the music here is used very differently, playing naturally as the film goes from one scene to another, you can here a mysterious ticking, fitting for Freddie's character as he attempts to find something, moving from one place to another in his life with little result.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Argo - How is it that Ben Affleck, of all people, became one of the most interesting directors of modern times? Argo is fantastic all around, it even seems like it was made in the era it's set. That's not an easy thing. Ben Affleck acquits himself nicely behind and in front of the camera, and Alan Arkin and John Goodman make an interesting duo, too. I'd watch a whole movie with those two guys just playing off each other.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A system of cells interlinked
Sliding Doors (Howitt, 1998)

Lars and the Real Girl (Gillespie, 2007)

The Firm (Pollack, 1993)

The Prophecy (Widen, 1995)

Patriot Games (Noyce, 1992)

Clear and Present Danger (Noyce, 1994)

Married To It (Hiller, 1991)

Clue (Lynn, 1985)

The Towering Inferno (Guillerman, 1974)

Fire in the Sky (Lieberman, 1993)

The New Daughter (Berdejo, 2009)

His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1940)

My recent watches, ranked and rated

Faces (1968)- Unratable

You Gotta Stay Happy

Four Rooms

The Importance of Being Earnest (2002)
+
City Lights
(harsh, I know)
On the Waterfront
+
To this Day (Shortfilm)
-
The Imposter (Documentry)

My Left Foot
+
Rewarch Barton Fink

Paranormal Activity 4 --

Much better than Paranormal Activity 3.

Even my spirit guide got so scared that she hid under the covers (which is where I wanted her )

Faces (1968)- Unratable
I've only seen A Woman Under the Influence from Cassavetes and I thought that was pretty mind-blowing, but I'm guessing you're not a fan

I've only seen A Woman Under the Influence from Cassavetes and I thought that was pretty mind-blowing, but I'm guessing you're not a fan
Well actually I'm watching A Woman Under the Influence tommrorw, and my expectations are not low. Faces is my first Cassavates, and while the acting was phenomenal I completely missed the point.

Not an especially busy week as far as film watching goes:

[Short] Dimensions of Dialogue (Švankmajer, 1982)

Broken Flowers (Jarmusch, 2005)
The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001)

[* = rewatch]

* Oscar-Nominated Best Picture

Mr. 880 (Edmund Goulding, 1950)
+
The Moon is Blue (Otto Preminger, 1953)

The Man With the Golden Arm (Otto Preminger, 1955)

The Cardinal (Otto Preminger, 1963)
+
*The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)

The Producers (Mel Brooks, 1968)

The Day of the Dolphin (Mike Nichols, 1973)

The Circus (Charles Chaplin, 1928)

Five Weeks in a Balloon (Irwin Allen, 1962)

I Married a Witch (Rene Clair, 1942)

Brewster’s Millions (Allan Dwan, 1945)

The Southerner (Jean Renoir, 1945)
-
Charade (Stanley Donen, 1963)
+
Monsieur Verdoux (Charles Chaplin, 1947)

Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948)

*Witness For the Prosecution (Billy Wilder, 1957)
+
Rubber (Quentin Dupieux, 2010)

*Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960)

The Bounty (Roger Donaldson, 1984)
-

[Short] Dimensions of Dialogue (Švankmajer, 1982)
This is my all time favorite short film,
If you haven't seen any other Svankmajer I'd reccomed Food and Light,Darkness, Light

Mark F, Rubber is a guilty pleasure of mine.

La Haine (1995)

La Haine is by far the greatest crime film I've ever seen. Three minorities in the French projects vow revenge on police after there friend is brutalized. The group of friends a Jew (played by Vincent Cassel), an Arab, and a black cause havoc where ever they go. Especially the Jew (Vinz) who has a new gun that he picked up at a riot. The film follows these testosterone filled characters for a mere 19 hours, and despite having no character development, you feel like you know them piece by piece. The film is true realism, shot in black and white, and never does more than it can handle. Yet it is raw to the core. I view this film as a more brutal version of City of God. The director and writer Kassovitz does perfect at both of his jobs. The film editing made this film heart pounding, and the movie never had a dry moment. Filled with anecdotes and witty conversations, it's successful in making you think. During the concluding scene I was sitting with my mouth wide open in shock with the excellence I just witnessed. In the wrong hands the whole movie would have collapsed right there, but instead I was mesmerized by it. La Haine was endlessly awesome, and is a film I will never forget. I don't give five stars much, but I'd be dammed if I wouldn't do it for this true gem. One of the greatest movies ever filmed, high in artistic and entertainment value.