Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

You know what's funny, Omnizoa? I was gonna tell you to change your avatar the other night.... and you did. Only... you went to your old avatar. But you still changed it. Interesting.

You know what's funny, Omnizoa? I was gonna tell you to change your avatar the other night.... and you did. Only... you went to your old avatar. But you still changed it. Interesting.
I was feeling impatient. I'll have a new one in another day or so. It's still being worked on.

Didn't care for the avatar I had?

I was feeling impatient. I'll have a new one in another day or so. It's still being worked on.

Didn't care for the avatar I had?
I liked it very much, but, I don't know.... I must have been feeling the same thing you were feeling. It was getting old. I know how that is. I make an avatar one day, and the next.... OLD. I'm already thinking about my next one right now.

I liked it very much, but, I don't know.... I must have been feeling the same thing you were feeling. It was getting old. I know how that is. I make an avatar one day, and the next.... OLD. I'm already thinking about my next one right now.
You've motivated me to make that old Paranoia Agent avatar I can't remember if I ever really had.

There we go. I'm actually fairly certain now that I never actually had this avatar, I just wanted this specific shot made into one.

Now it is! And now my custom user title is relevant as well, only actually meaningful to somebody who's seen the episode on display.

I'm sure that's helpful.

As helpful as how wildly off topic we arehahawow!

Believe it or not, those of us that are fans of something are never and will never be the main audience the TV writers or film directors are aiming at. Their first priority is to the casual audience; if they alienate them and pander to the fans, they are basically snookered.
I disagree. This trailer starts with "30 years ago" deliberating referencing the original (even though its supposedly not linked at all). There is nothing in the trailer that is going to entice a casual audience and they have seemingly decided to alienate the original fans that have amassed over 30 years. The trailer seems to have been made with the idea we will pander to both casual and fans but fails to do either.

There is clearly a market for this franchise if done correctly. I hope that if this movie completely bombs it wont be another 30 years for another attempted revival.

I disagree. This trailer starts with "30 years ago" deliberating referencing the original (even though its supposedly not linked at all). There is nothing in the trailer that is going to entice a casual audience and they have seemingly decided to alienate the original fans that have amassed over 30 years. The trailer seems to have been made with the idea we will pander to both casual and fans but fails to do either.
That's the trailer. The idea of the film is clearly aimed at a casual audience otherwise they wouldn't be going for an all-new team but featuring the originals instead.
I hope that if this movie completely bombs it wont be another 30 years for another attempted revival.
There likely wouldn't be a Ghostbusters movie again. This film won't bomb anyway because the casual audience don't care that it features four women in the lead role.

That's the trailer. The idea of the film is clearly aimed at a casual audience otherwise they wouldn't be going for an all-new team but featuring the originals instead.

There likely wouldn't be a Ghostbusters movie again. This film won't bomb anyway because the casual audience don't care that it features four women in the lead role.
I'm not even going to bother addressing the "four women in the lead thing" again, because at this point you're either ignoring me or deliberately trying to stir me up. I really couldn't care less about whether it is women, men or baby sloths in the lead.

The idea of a trailer is to put bums in seats, it sells the movie. I think if they hadn't released this trailer it would of keep the anticipation at insane levels that more would of gone. What part of this trailer is appealing to the casual movie goer? This movie is set to be released against Star Trek, Tarzan and Jason Bourne. That is serious competition for the casual market.

This movie for casual audience has a stereotypical shouty black woman, Chris Hemsworth draws a ghost with big boobies and awful looking CGI and a woman wearing a wig pretending to be a prop head. What part of it says "we have to see this". For fans the release of the image of ETCO was awesome, the proton pack, awesome. Then we screamed like a 15 year old at a Beiber concert when the teaser for the trailer was released. We were nervous of A villain being released who looks like the logo with fangs and a let down of a trailer. I'm sorry you can't go 600,000 dislikes as purely hating female leads (no doubt some people do feel that way). This cast could pull off a great Ghostbusters movie I truly believe that but with the information that has been released it seems the director and script of THIS one is set to truly miss it's mark and to be it's own comedic ghost hunting movie with an iconic beloved logo slapped on the top of it.

Star Trek is actually a perfect example of how a reboot can be done to appeal to original fans and bring in a casual audience as well. You still honor the original work while introducing new elements.

Welcome to the human race...
Huh, it was my understanding that hardcore fans didn't like the Star Trek reboot because it took a relatively cerebral (if somewhat goofy) sci-fi franchise and used it as the basis for a fundamentally generic blockbuster - even Abrams himself admitted that he wasn't a fan of Star Trek and he was making the kind of Star Trek movie that he and other non-fans would want to see. That hardly strikes me as "honouring" the original work, especially when they proceeded to do a very poor job of recycling Wrath of Khan elements for Into Darkness, and if we're going to judge the trailer for Beyond then it looks like we might be in for even more of the same.

OK Star Trek 2009 wasn't universally loved but there is zero reboot that would be. The original reboot made more then double of any other Star Trek film worldwide ever made and Into Darkness made even more (presumably some of that because of the success of the 2009 reboot). $385,000,000 is not majority casual movie going numbers. The reviews were mostly positive from both critics, fans and IMDB users, Rotten Tomatoes. Reboots by their nature are going to cause controversy and anger some. Abrams may not have been a fan of the original works but he certainly didn't ignore them or ignore the original films and I think it paid off. By ticket sales and professional and user review standards the Star Trek reboot was a success.

OK Star Trek 2009 wasn't universally loved but there is zero reboot that would be. The original reboot made more then double of any other Star Trek film worldwide ever made and Into Darkness made even more (presumably some of that because of the success of the 2009 reboot). $385,000,000 is not majority casual movie going numbers. The reviews were mostly positive from both critics, fans and IMDB users, Rotten Tomatoes. Reboots by their nature are going to cause controversy and anger some. Abrams may not have been a fan of the original works but he certainly didn't ignore them or ignore the original films and I think it paid off. By ticket sales and professional and user review standards the Star Trek reboot was a success.
So a cult sci-fi franchise gets a reboot that strips out the stuff that fans love and becomes a flashy but hollow version that's aimed at the lowest common denominator only for the reboot to become the franchise's most successful installment yet? By that logic, this new Ghostbusters is going to do just fine.

So a cult sci-fi franchise gets a reboot that strips out the stuff that fans love and becomes a flashy but hollow version that's aimed at the lowest common denominator only for the reboot to become the franchise's most successful installment yet? By that logic, this new Ghostbusters is going to do just fine.
yeah ok. I, along with many fans of the originals enjoyed the 2009 reboot. I don't know how you judge a successful reboot but I think a ton of profit and positive reviews from critics and movie goers isn't a bad start. It's an example of how a reboot can be successful and please a vast number of people who are long time fans and non-fans. I will be incredibly surprised if with what has been the response this reboot inspires a trilogy to be made within this GCU.

yeah ok. I, along with many fans of the originals enjoyed the 2009 reboot. I don't know how you judge a successful reboot but I think a ton of profit and positive reviews from critics and movie goers isn't a bad start. It's an example of how a reboot can be successful and please a vast number of people who are long time fans and non-fans. I will be incredibly surprised if with what has been the response this reboot inspires a trilogy to be made within this GCU.
I just thought it was funny that I could draw such a simple parallel between that film and this one, with the difference being that Star Trek has the benefit of having come out already. We're still just trying to judge whether or not Ghostbusters will succeed or fail (commercially or critically) on the basis of a few minutes of footage, so there's only so much either of us can say one way or the other.

New trailer out for Ghostbuster remake.

What's interesting, after the first trailer became the most disliked trailer in history, is that Sony's official channel on YouTube hasn't posted this new trailer at all. Other channels have though... and the likes-dislikes ratio is exactly the same. Thousands of dislikes, hardly any likes.

I have to say though... this still looks soooooooo bad.