Movies that make you feel "hip" because you like them.

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Ten Films with Hip Factor
  • Blow Up (1966 - Michelangelo Antonioni)
  • Solyaris (1972 - Andrei Tarkovsky)
  • À Bout de souffle (1960 - Jean-Luc Godard)
  • Les Quatre cents coups (1959 - Francois Truffaut)
  • Shadows (1959 - John Cassavetes)
  • Brazil (1985 - Terry Gilliam)
  • Quadrophenia (1979 - Franc Roddam)
  • Night of the Living Dead (1968 - George A. Romero)
  • Stranger Than Paradise (1984 - Jim Jarmusch)
  • Duel (1971 - Steven Spielberg)

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Half man, half machine
I don’t know if watching any specific titles make me hipper than thou, but I do get satisfaction in knowing that I can watch certain movies with ease that other people have trouble with. Does that make me an *******? Probably… but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by MovieDan82
I don’t know if watching any specific titles make me hipper than thou, but I do get satisfaction in knowing that I can watch certain movies with ease that other people have trouble with. Does that make me an *******? Probably… but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Well...What are some of the films you are thinking of? I'll give just about anything a go, regardless of genre...

Half man, half machine
Originally Posted by Sedai
Well...What are some of the films you are thinking of? I'll give just about anything a go, regardless of genre...
You're putting me on the spot here.

When I wrote that I had my family and friends in mind who are not into film like I am. I've attempted to watch films like Lost in Translation, La Dolce Vita, and The Long Goodbye with them. They found all those films difficult to watch.

Arresting your development

The satisfaction is in knowing that you are being yourself.

ASShole or angel... I'll adapt!

"Hipper than thou", only means wearing burgundy socks, snakeskin boots and a lucky bingo hat.

Me thinks!

Half man, half machine
Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
"Hipper than thou", only means wearing burgundy socks, snakeskin boots and a lucky bingo hat.
That's just too hip for me.

A system of cells interlinked
You're putting me on the spot here.

When I wrote that I had my family and friends in mind who are not into film like I am. I've attempted to watch films like Lost in Translation, La Dolce Vita, and The Long Goodbye with them. They found all those films difficult to watch.
I have yet to see the Fellini film, and I loved The Long Goodbye. I thought Lost in Translation was pretty damn good, clearly well made, but not something I really vibed with...

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Le Samouraï

Bob le flambeur

Goldfinger

Yojimbo

Bullitt

Dirty Harry

The Killer

Reservoir Dogs

Miller's Crossing

Taxi Driver

I am having a nervous breakdance
I honestly don't think the films I listed made me feel hip. Only that they are, in my opinion, films that are considered to be hip in some crowds.