Star Wars: The Force Awakens

→ in
Tools    

People love to give this movie crap because it has a very similar story to New Hope.

Which really makes me think, why do they hate on this and not Toy Story 3, it had a similar story to Toy Story 2 and no one freaks out about that.
I do. Both are
movies.

NextScorsese is so right. Toy Story 3 is literally a total rehash of the second film. But no one bats an eye.

Boldly going.
Top 10 reasons The Force Awakens sucked:

10. Max Von Sydow, a classic actor who's been in hundreds of films and is one of my personal favourites, is only in the movie for about 3 minutes. What a waste of talent and opportunity. Other characters that were under-used: Leia, Luke, C3PO, R2D2.

9. When Han shoots Chewbacca's crossbow early in the movie, the blast is so powerful that it sends three or four stormtroopers hurtling through the air, but later when Chewbacca shoots Kylo Ren with it, it just injures Kylo. The bridge Kylo was standing on should have been completely obliterated by that.

8. Finn was a janitor and yet he could wield a lightsaber with skill against well-trained stormtroopers (one of them even had an anti-lightsaber shield thing) and Kylo Ren.

7. BB8 was not distinct enough from R2D2, other than being a rolling ball.

6. We finally get a female stormtrooper in Captain Phasma, but she never takes off her helmet. Actually, she doesn't do much.

5. Rey learns to use the Force too quickly and no training. Luke Skywalker took years to learn it, but Rey did it in half an hour.

4. A lack of interesting, new weapons, aliens, planets and vehicles. At least the prequels gave us cloning, warp locks, battle droids (particularly droidekas) pod-racers, the Nubian royal starship, Dugs, Geonosians, Kamino the water planet, Coruscant the urban planet, Musafar the lava planet, the underwater Gungan city, the asteroid colony of Polis Massa, etc. etc.

3. The Third Death Star. I watched a documentary recently about business lessons learned from the original Star Wars trilogy. One of the points was to learn from our mistakes, and gave the example of how The Empire didn't learn from its mistake after the first Death Star was destroyed, because they rebuilt it, only to have it destroyed again in ROTJ! How stupid is the "Empire" that they build a third Death Star? How unoriginal is J.J. Abrams that he can't think of something better? How stupid do they think we are that they think we'd be impressed that it's 10 times bigger than the original Death Star?

2. The Starkiller base made no sense. How does a planet move through space and drain stars of their energy, yet still have light, climate and any kind of stability? And how did its beam split up in space to hit multiple targets? Why would you want to destroy multiple planets? Aren't you making your point by destroying one?

1. The movie is a complete rip-off of A New Hope. They didn't just recycle plot elements. They basically changed a few characters and re-named a few settings, and that's it.

I think the problem is that the fans have proven that they don't tolerate anything that is not like the OT. Hell, even Jedi is considered the weakest part only because it uses a different formula. I understand the prequels have huge issues but there are so many things people picked on that are just ridiculous. One if the funniest and most retarded complaints are "it's not Star Wars". It is. It's the Star Wars universe. People wanted to learn more about the universe, they got it and they didn't like it. I'm convinced people had made up their minds about everything that they would have hated everything about it anyways. Really? You hate midi chlorian that much that you still keep ranting over it? Get a grip of yourself!
Now they have basically recycled the old parts and people who hated the prequels for not being SW now either are disappointed because they didn't get to see something new or they say "yes, it borrows a lot from the OT, but that doesn't matter!!! At least it's Star Wars again" Dude, either you want to have a new title in the series or you don't.

It would have been a very low chance shot if they tried to do anything new. This way now, maybe and hopefully they get a free pass to create something fresh from those who are overly attached to the great but incredibly flawed OT. I mean, let's be serious, we would tear the OT into pieces if they were released today. Alone the acting and line reading. Holy. ****. And we keep bashing Hayden Christensen for his acting. I mean he's really bad too but come on.

This movie was basically just saying:"ok guys, we'd really like to keep making money with this franchise and would like to expand. Can we please? Look here, we know what Star Wars is. Please?" It's just a hidden reboot. A normal remake/reboot was obviously out of question so they took as much as they could over from the old parts for acceptance and basically rebooted the whole thing. I just hope they will go on for original stuff now.

This movie was basically just saying:"ok guys, we'd really like to keep making money with this franchise and would like to expand. Can we please? Look here, we know what Star Wars is. Please?" It's just a hidden reboot. A normal remake/reboot was obviously out of question so they took as much as they could over from the old parts for acceptance and basically rebooted the whole thing. I just hope they will go on for original stuff now.
Same here.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yeah they should be embarrassed at topping $2 billion.

Well, it's no surprise to me that Star Wars didn't win any Academy Awards, and it failed to compete with Avatar at the box office.
Blame it on furries. If Star Wars 7 featured a wookie jedi as the protagonist like I've been saying, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Well, it's no surprise to me that Star Wars didn't win any Academy Awards, and it failed to compete with Avatar at the box office.

Wait, Star Wars did beat Avatar.

Edit: I was looking at the domestic box office, not worldwide box office, my bad.

5. Rey learns to use the Force too quickly and no training. Luke Skywalker took years to learn it, but Rey did it in half an hour.
There has been talk that Rey may have received training from Luke already, being one of the people he was training before Kylo Renn attacked them. In the film it shows Rey being left as a ship flew away, ostensibly placing her into hiding from Renn. After being on Jakku for years, she seemed to have skills in fighting, but not necessarily Force-skills. Yet Renn's probing of her mind might have awakened her latent skills. Thus the title, "The Force Awakens,"----her former training and mind skills were most likely unlocked, albeit unknowingly by Renn, who recoiled when she suddenly had mind power over him, then the Stormtrooper, plus the light saber skilled which she must have learned from Luke as a child.

Still, I don't think we'll know for sure till the next movie since she's meeting up with Luke. So I think it's still early to say that she "learned to use the Force too quickly and no training." She may be very strong in the Force the way Anakin Skywalker was.

Boldly going.
Blame it on furries. If Star Wars 7 featured a wookie jedi as the protagonist like I've been saying, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I agree - a wookie jedi would've been tres cool.

Daisy Ridley's pretty, but the Rey character would've been more interesting if she had been a female sandperson - at the beginning of the movie (before she took off her goggles and scarf), I thought she might've been.

Even a jedi jawa would've been cool. I know some people didn't like Yoda with a lightsaber, but I saw him more like a mad little gremlin. Plus, I've been told that some master martial artists are bad-ass even in their old age. Ewoks? Well, that would be going a little too far...

Okay, so is this movie flawless, no, there is no such thing as a flawless movie. But this movie is still fantastic, it had great acting, great characters, decent writing (I'm not gonna say it's really oscar worthy), great directing, amazing visual effects, and just all around great film making. And just to get this out there, it's not ripping off New Hope, it's following the Star Wars Formula, it was in New Hope and Phantom Menace. Honestly, the biggest problem the film had that couldn't be solved with just a little extra thought was the exposition, it could have used some explanation for the new government.

Boldly going.
It most certainly did rip-off A New Hope. This article summarizes it quite nicely, with screenshots:

it's not ripping off New Hope, it's following the Star Wars Formula
18 ways The Force Awakens ripped off A New Hope

I was so disappointed in this movie, I will probably not see the upcoming Star Wars movies. This is coming from someone who LOVES Star Wars!

It most certainly did rip-off A New Hope. This article summarizes it quite nicely, with screenshots:

18 ways The Force Awakens ripped off A New Hope

I was so disappointed in this movie, I will probably not see the upcoming Star Wars movies. This is coming from someone who LOVES Star Wars!
So I read the article, and that's the formula, they use it in the first installments of all the trilogies. It's not a rip-off.

Boldly going.
So I read the article, and that's the formula, they use it in the first installments of all the trilogies. It's not a rip-off.
Really? So Empire Strikes Back starts off on a sand desert planet and the Empire is looking for droids. Then our orphan protagonist ends up on the Millennium Falcon. Then a young woman is interrogated by the Empire. Then the Death Star starts shooting planets. Need I go on?