How much friggin' money will The Avengers make?

Tools    

"All of it" is an acceptable answer.

But seriously: anything you wanna toss out. Opening weekend, total domestic cume, total worldwide gross, etc. It's already killing overseas.

I'm gonna say just around $155 million domestic for this weekend. Less sure of the total domestic mark, but $430-440 million-ish seems about right. That's actually a bit below the standard multiplier for opening weekends, when it would normally be higher given such great reviews and word-of-mouth, but I think there's a cap on those sorts of effects with a movie this size.

What do you guys think? Get some thoughts in before the numbers start trickling in tomorrow...

For starters, it has to make more than $121 million to crack the top 10 all time opening weekends. If it hits $155 million it will be 3rd highest opening weekend of all time. I can see that, but I'm going to go a little under and say it makes $135-140 million this weekend.

Domestic, easily tops $300 million. I'll go $370 million domestic.

I'm almost positive that I'm guessing far to low on this, but Iron Man is the highest of this batch of Marvel movies in all time revenue at number 28 on the list. That is keeping me from guessing higher. Though it is already number 32 for worldwide openings...

I still say it doesn't have the push of a Harry Potter or a Hunger Games. I stick with my numbers!

Well, Avatar had much less publicity in Britain than Avengers has had already, and Avatar hit the Billion mark in no time.

Not sure about opening weekend profits and all that, but with the success of Thor and Iron Man over here in Britainland, I'll say Avengers is a runner for number 1 of all time, simply down to the publicity and the ties it has with two already successful movies.

Movie Forums Insomniac
Originally Posted by Yoda

How much friggin' money will The Avengers make?
A lot!

A bit hard to say really, if I had to guess between $370 to $410 million domestically. Internationally it will be at $600 million by this coming Sunday, putting it in good position to maybe cross the billion dollar mark.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
I think it'll cross the billion dollar mark, it'll probably be the highest grossing film of the year until The Dark Knight Rises.

Movie Forums Insomniac
I think it'll cross the billion dollar mark, it'll probably be the highest grossing film of the year until The Dark Knight Rises.
I doubt The Dark Knight Rises will top The Avengers worldwide box office gross. It already passed the 500 million mark, and it just was released in theaters in the U.S. this weekend.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
I doubt The Dark Knight Rises will top The Avengers worldwide box office gross. It already passed the 500 million mark, and it just was released in theaters in the U.S. this weekend.
I don't know it kind of depends on the popularity, The Dark Knight grossed over a billion dollars and both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises have big hype, guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't know it kind of depends on the popularity, The Dark Knight grossed over a billion dollars and both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises have big hype, guess we'll have to wait and see.
The Dark Knight Rises will, IMO, undeniably pass up The Avengers. The Dark Knight made over a billion world wide (though I admit that a lot of that was due to curiosity over Heath Ledger). However, the people that loved that film are in a frenzy to see the last act so I expect TDKR to surpass both The Avengers and The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight Rises will, IMO, undeniably pass up The Avengers. The Dark Knight made over a billion world wide (though I admit that a lot of that was due to curiosity over Heath Ledger). However, the people that loved that film are in a frenzy to see the last act so I expect TDKR to surpass both The Avengers and The Dark Knight.
I dunno. The Avengers has been hyped for, what, four years, and it comes down to everyone not wanting to be disappointed by that hype, which will lead to more crowds "just knowing" it has to be good, or at least that makes sense to me in a social engineering sense. The last batman will surely make money but the enticement that the second one had isn't nearly as seductive.

That's looking like the correct answer. The opening day gross--combined with the expectation that it won't fall of as much on Saturday as other massive films have--have led to the near-consensus that it's going to break the opening weekend record. It's a big ol' mess of a hit, in case there was any doubt.

What'll be really interesting is whether or not great reviews can give even a massive blockbuster "legs," or if that's kind of limited by the raw size involved. Can't really get much word-of-mouth if everyone's already seeing it and all that. Still hard to imagine the multiplier getting too north of 3, given that even 3.5 would put it right around $600 million domestically.

I dunno. The Avengers has been hyped for, what, four years, and it comes down to everyone not wanting to be disappointed by that hype, which will lead to more crowds "just knowing" it has to be good, or at least that makes sense to me in a social engineering sense. The last batman will surely make money but the enticement that the second one had isn't nearly as seductive.
The only thing is, none of the Marvel films leading up to it have been over-the-top hits. They've all been financial successes, but none have been crazy box office draws.

Although, as of this writing, The Avengers is only out performed by the final Harry Potter film as far as Friday box office dollars!

Both Iron Man movies were huge hits; both north of $300 million domestically. Especially when judged against expectations. I guess it depends on what qualifies as "crazy," but a lot of people were knocked down by those numbers.

The rest, though, were all indeed just "regular" hits.

I have a feeling that The Dark Knight Rises and Avengers will be a close race Internationally. I think domestically The Dark Knight Rises will win. Internationally its very hard to tell since the Chinese market has opened up a lot since The Dark Knight came out in 2008. Of course The Avengers is already doing so well, as I said close race.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Avengers will make more money than TDKR, it has the bonus of being in 3D.

Making 80 million on Friday, which is the second highest one day total next to Harry Potters 91 million.

It will be close me thinks, 160 million range is my guess.

Suspect's Reviews

We all undershot. Looks like it's suffering a much lower Friday-Sunday dropoff than huge openers usually do. Estimates now have it at just over $200 million this weekend.

That can be revised up or down a few million tomorrow afternoon, but the estimates aren't usually very far off. Incredible.