Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Never Let Me Go

What a beautifully made movie Never Let Me Go is. The art direction, the lighting and the scenes are stunningly beautiful. The cinematography is carefully controlled, sublime. The color pallet of the film is soft pastels, filmed in diffusion. Like a work of art from the 19th century French Impressionist art movement, Never Let Me Go (2010) is minimalist cinema, fused with art.

Based on the best selling novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. The film tells the somber story of a group of children raised in isolation at a British boarding school in 1975. The students are clones, whose only purpose in life is to be organ donors for others. As they graduate from school and enter adult hood, they are moved to communal living quarters, where they await their assignments as organ donors.

The director Mark Romanek does a superb job of delivering a subtle, somber story, beautifully done with ambiance and self reflection. From the cinematography to the haunting yet subtle music score, every element of the film is in harmony with the minimalist storyline.

Academy nominated, Carey Mulligan plays a young woman-donor clone, coming to grips with the meaning of her short life. Academy nominated, Keira Knightley along with Andrew Garfield make up the fine cast of talented British actors, who make the film so believable.

Don't think for a moment that Never Let Me Go, is Sci Fi, it's not. Don't think it's about people fighting back and escaping their fate, it's not. The film, like the book is a metaphor for what we strive for, a meaning to our existence.

Did you read the book Citizen? It's so good. I liked the film too, the cast were great, but the book had another extra layer of wistfulness that's hard to put in a film.
Nice choice

I just finished watching Out To Sea, and this was another great pick. Like you said, it's a fun movie with a lot of familiar old-timers.

As expected, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are a lot of fun in this movie, but IMO, Brent Spiner stole the movie. He was great in every scene that he's in. Unfortunately Hal Linden and Donald O'Connor were wasted in this movie. I would have loved to see both of them get more screen time.

I'm really happy when someone takes a chance on a movie I liked, and watches it. I knew you'd like it too! I agree with everything you said about it. Brent Spiner is really talented, he makes the movie.

For those who haven't seen this film, it's not amazing, but it's fun light comedy.

I haven't seen Starship Troopers, but based on your review and your rating, I will definitely add this movie to my watchlist.
Based on what I know about your movie taste, I'm not sure if you will like this. BUT if you watched the two video clips then you have a perfect idea of what to expect. You've been fore warned

Dead Man is a great film too. I don't think I've seen a Jim Jarmusch film I haven't liked
Christine, I haven't seen any other Jim Jarmusch films. I just looked at his filmography and it looks like he has some interesting films. Do you have a couple of recommendations? I know, you don't know me good enough to guess my taste in movies....I don't like really violent stuff. Dead Man was not too violent for me.

No, I didn't read the book Never Let Me Go. I don't read much. I bet the book was awesome thought. I did hear an interview with the author.

Christine, I haven't seen any other Jim Jarmusch films. I just looked at his filmography and it looks like he has some interesting films. Do you have a couple of recommendations? I know, you don't know me good enough to guess my taste in movies....I don't like really violent stuff. Dead Man was not too violent for me.

No, I didn't read the book Never Let Me Go. I don't read much. I bet the book was awesome thought. I did hear an interview with the author.
My favourite is probably Down By Law but I like all the others I've seen - Stranger Than Paradise, Broken Flowers, Mystery Train. I really like Ghost Dog too, but there is violence in that obviously as it's about a hit man, but I wouldn't say it was that gory.

Thanks for that list. I read the synopsis on them and I picked Mystery Train to watch. I will try and do a review when I see it.You haven't steered me wrong yet with your movie suggestions

All That Heaven Allows (1955)
The Criterion Collection

Director: Douglas Sirk
Cast: Jane Wyman, Rock Hudson, Agnes Moorehead

Don't think because this has a couple big name Hollywood stars that it's a typical Hollywood movie. It's not.

All that Heaven Allows
flies in the face of 1950's conventionalism with a refreshing message that rejects wealth and status, while searching for personal freedom.

The mid 50s were a time when Americans clutched to time honored traditions. McCarthyism and the 'red scare' was prevalent. Those individuals who bucked the system by marching to a different drummer risked being ostracized by their neighbors.

Jane Wyman plays a well-to-do, widowed woman in a small New England town. The society women at the country club don't approve of her relationship with a younger man who's a simply gardener, played by Rock Hudson. Her life is made miserable by the town's bigotry and the pressure to conform. Even her own children refuse to accept her relationship with a common working man.

On the outskirts of town is a small group of people who have rejected the need for wealth and status, choosing to live a simply country life instead.

"Don't give importance to things that aren't important." That's the motto the gardener lives by. He refuses to be embarrassed by his old car and his simply life style. The widow has to choose between confirming to her rich friends wishes or choosing love.

The Criterion Collection DVD is beautifully restored. The technicolor and quality of the print is amazing.

All That Heaven Allows has a somber tone, with an uplifting message. It's worthy of any cinema lover.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	413VO5GNhmL.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	48183  

The Criterion Collection

Don't think because this has a couple big name Hollywood stars that it's a typical Hollywood movie. It's not.

All that Heaven Allows
flies in the face of 1950's conventionalism with a refreshing message that rejects wealth and status, while searching for personal freedom.

The mid 50s were a time when Americans clutched to time honored traditions. McCarthyism and the 'red scare' was prevalent. Those individuals who bucked the system by marching to a different drummer risked being ostracized by their neighbors.

Jane Wyman plays a will-to-do, widowed woman in a small New England town. The society women at the country club don't approve of her relationship with a younger man who's a simply gardener, played by Rock Hudson. Her life is made miserable by the town's bigotry and the pressure to conform. Even her own children refuse to accept her relationship.

On the outskirts of town is a small group of people who have rejected the need for wealth and status, choosing to live a simply country life.

"Don't give importance to things that aren't important." That's the motto the gardener lives by. He refuses to be embarrassed by his old car and his simply life style. The widowed has to choose between confirming to her rich friends wishes or choosing love.

The Criterion Collection DVD is beautifully restored. The technicolor and quality of the print is amazing.

All That Heaven Allows has a somber tone, with an uplifting message. It's worthy of any cinema lover.

I think this is a film I might enjoy... thanks CR!

MovieGal, I was actually thinking about you when I wrote my review. I was going to PM you and suggest that you might like it. I had no clue what the film was going to be like. I don't think I did the mood of the film justices. VERY few films have 'changed me' but this film is in a way like American Beauty. In that we realize giving other people power over us by allowing them to look down their noses, is not the way to happiness.

MovieGal, I was actually thinking about you when I wrote my review. I was going to PM you and suggest that you might like it. I had no clue what the film was going to be like. I don't think I did the mood of the film justices. VERY few films have 'changed me' but this film is in a way like American Beauty. In that we realize giving other people power over us by allowing them to look down their noses, is not the way to happiness.
I thin you and I have some film taste in common.. so always suggest away.... you know older films more than I do.... but I have to say one of my favorite old films is "Dragonwyck"... love love that film!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It was remade by Fassbinder as Ali: Fear Eats the Soul You guys may like several Douglas Sirk movies from the '50s.

I thin you and I have some film taste in common.. so always suggest away.... you know older films more than I do.... but I have to say one of my favorite old films is "Dragonwyck"... love love that film!
You talked me into it I just requested it. Actually I'm surprised I hadn't seen it as I've seen many Gene Tierney films.

I've never heard of that one but it sure sounds worth checking out.
Cricket, I'd say it's a great story and directed well. Rock Hudson isn't the most dramatic actor, he's better at light comedy. But the film is really about Jane Wyman and she's good in a reserved way, sort of like Deborah Kerr.

It was remade by Fassbinder as Ali: Fear Eats the Soul You guys may like several Douglas Sirk movies from the '50s.
Good suggestion Mark, I just looked and he does have a lot of interesting 50s films, I'll have to request them. The only other one I've seen is Intimation of Life.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Criterion Collection

All that Heaven Allows

Jane Wyman plays a will-to-do, widowed woman in a small New England town. The society women at the country club don't approve of her relationship with a younger man who's a simply gardener, played by Rock Hudson. Her life is made miserable by the town's bigotry and the pressure to conform. Even her own children refuse to accept her relationship.

On the outskirts of town is a small group of people who have rejected the need for wealth and status, choosing to live a simply country life.

"Don't give importance to things that aren't important." That's the motto the gardener lives by. He refuses to be embarrassed by his old car and his simply life style. The widow has to choose between confirming to her rich friends wishes or choosing love.

This movie sounds so familiar that I went to check my DVD shelves to see if I have it, but I can't seem to find it. I'm pretty sure that I've seen it, but it may have been on TCM or some other movie channel. (Either that, or Mom stole another DVD.)

I don't think it's something that I watched recently, because I can't really remember much about it, so I'll have to add it to my watchlist and see if I've seen it already or not. (If I'm right, I'll probably be about 3/4 into the movie before it starts to look familiar, and then I'll remember the ending.)

GBG, does this picture ring a bell, Hudson remodels an old flour mill to live in.

Oh, my wife just informed me we did see another Douglas Sirk film with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman, Magnificent Obsession

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
GBG, does this picture ring a bell, Hudson remodels an old flour mill to live in.

Oh, my wife just informed me we did see another Douglas Sirk film with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman, Magnificent Obsession

I'm not sure, but it looks vaguely familiar. If I did see the movie, it's been a long time, so it's time for a rewatch anyway. If I had to guess, I probably saw it on TCM when they did a Rock Hudson tribute day. I tend to watch those tribute days when the actor featured is someone I like, like Rock Hudson.

I have Magnificent Obsession on the DVR right now, but I haven't watched it yet. I think TCM aired it about a month ago, but I never got around to watching it. Maybe I'll watch those two movies as a double-feature one night.

The Hired Hand (1971)

Director: Peter Fonda
Writer: Alan Sharp
Cinematography: Vilmos Zsigmond
Editing & Montage: Frank Mazzola
Production Design: Lawrence G. Paul
Musical Score: Bruce Langhorne

Cast: Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Verna Bloom

On rare occasions we cinema lovers will stumble upon an obscure film that leaves us wondering why we hadn't heard of it before. The Hired Hand is one of those hidden gems.

The film came into being as a result of the huge success of a small independent film made in 1969, Easy Rider. Universal Studios was keen to repeat their financial success by giving Peter Fonda full artistic control. He was able to choose the cast, the locations, the cinematographer, editor, the music score, etc. Fonda even had control over the final edit of the film.

Fonda set out to make a western like nothing that had been done before. According to Fonda, his aim was to put the viewer literally into the film. He does this by capturing the solitude and isolation of the old west. The film moves deliberately slow, matching the pace of life in the old west. The cinematography enhances that isolation with use of wide angle lenses on the long shots. The Hired Hand is like a moment in time duplicated on film. One can believe this is how the old west really was.

The cinematography is amazing, it utilizes controlled depth of field, back-lighting and silhouettes to impart an artistic feeling. The edits between the scenes use long dissolve montages for a unique poetic look. There are more stunning sunsets in this film, than you ever seen in your life.

The story is told in a minimalist fashion. We don't know the back story of the two main characters, played by Peter Fonda and Warren Oates. We learn of their characters through their interaction with each other. Fonda's character is conflicted, quiet and brooding. Oates in comparison is the everyday man, traveling life's road to wherever it takes him. Verna Bloom is perfect as a realistic pioneer woman...staunch and unwavering with strong feminist views of sex and self.

The music score is unique. The instruments used for the score are all period specific to the old west. The music is hauntingly beautiful, departing a forlorn, soulful feeling to the film.

The Hired Hand
won the New York Film Critics Circle Awards in 1971. Sadly Universal Studios decided to pull the film from the theaters after only 1 week. In 2001 the film was beautifully restored and is available as a Collectors Edition which has the same cut as original shown in 1971.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hiredhand2.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	48184  

You know, if The Hired Hand was a foreign film with English sub titles it would be considered an avant garde classic and be on many top list here.

Sadly the studio that bank rolled the film, Universal Studios, touted it as another Easy Rider. The audiences expected to see Captain America in the old west, but what they got was a cutting edge art film. The critics respected it but the ticket sales were weak so the film was pulled and just about forgotten.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you guys need to watch this one.