Wes Craven is Dead

Tools    

The is terribly sad to me, not just because it's the death of a great director and, based on the interviews I've seen, a great guy, but because I was looking forward to his future work. He's one of those directors that always inspired me.

RIP.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ro-dies-818806

....... This is the third death I've heard about today. The others being Oliver Sacks (the doctor Robin Williams played in Awakenings -- I considered making a thread about his death earlier today) and Dr. Wayne Dyer (who I really don't care about, but I learned of it anyway just a few minutes ago).

....... But this one is by far the worst. I've had a bad feeling about Wes Craven for some time now because I knew he was in his seventies.

This is just awful news. I was also waiting for more of his work. He was amazing, and I loved his movies. I also love all the stories behind his creation of A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Freddy Krueger. I hate that he had to suffer with that disease. Rest in peace, sweetie!

The Scream TV show concludes this week (Tuesday) on MTV. They're supposed to reveal who the killer is. Just saying that because he directed the Scream movies. He was also a producer for the show.

He had brain cancer. I never knew that. Must have kept it a secret.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Obviously, not being a horror fan, I'm not too familiar with Wes Craven's work, but I know how much he and his work were respected and how much he meant to all of you, and it's always sad to lose a legend of his caliber. R.I.P.

Surprisingly, the only thing that I know about Wes Craven is one episode of a comedy TV show that he guest-starred in, that most of you probably haven't seen, so I thought some of you might want to see him in it.

"Stark Raving Mad" was a short-lived comedy series starring Tony Shaloub ("Monk") as Ian Stark, a horror writer, and Neil Patrick Harris ("How I Met Your Mother") as Henry McNeely, his editor. In this episode, titled "The Pigeon", Wes Craven plays a legendary horror author who Ian Stark admires, and gets the chance to meet, but Stark is also being stalked by a pigeon after he accidentally dropped her nest and broke her eggs. Enjoy.

Wes Craven in the "Stark Raving Mad" episode "The Pigeon". (Wes Craven's part starts at about 17:25 into the video):

His name has become synonymous with horror. A true legend within the genre. RIP.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
"I believe the cinema is one of our principal forms of art. It is an incredibly powerful way to tell uplifitng stories that can move people to cry with joy and inspire them to reach for the stars."

Wes Craven, I will miss you.

I was first introduced to Wes “Master of Horror” Caven with Scream, which still stands the test of time to this day. My thoughts on that film and the series as a whole can be found HERE.

So I won’t speak too much about that franchise, instead I’ll focus on his other works. The man has so many “classic” horror films that if you ask any fan what their favourite Wes Craven film is, you’ll get a different answer every time.

Craven burst onto the screen with 1972’s The Last House on the Left a terrifying look into the depravity of man. What do I remember most about this film? The tagline of course: To avoid fainting, keep repeating: "It's only a movie, only a movie, only a movie..." Without a doubt his most controversial and notorious film, being slapped with an X rating from the MPAA at the beginning and banned in multiple countries. That’s enough to get people talking about things to come.

His follow up, 1977’s The Hills Have Eyes sealed the deal for the horror community. Wes Craven was a man to watch for. In part an homage to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes had enough spark in it to stand apart and to this day be considered a horror classic. Again, much like his previous film, Hills was slapped with the dreaded X rating when it was first submitted. The film has a certain raw intensity that very few films these days are able to capture. The low budget shooting style suits the film perfectly. Despite many people not liking the remake, I found it to be a worthy remake. To each their own.

Of course everyone knows the film A Nightmare on Elm Street, yet another horror classic. Here Craven gives us one of the most iconic horror villains of all time. Elm Street has the honour of being one of the select few films, to actually scare me when I first watched it. I made the wife watch it and she found it comical. I don’t think that that means the film has shown its age, I simply think she finds humour in the weirdest things. Freddy is a terrifying nightmare, one you can never get away from. Craven had a stroke of genius with the character and will forever remain a horror icon because of it.

With Elm Street, Craven got more creative with the camera. A bigger budget gave him more freedom to dream up his horrors. After a few more films, (The Serpent and the Rainbow, Shocker, The People Under The Stairs), Craven would return to the franchise a decade later with Wes Craven’s New Nightmare. Which was a different take on the character and the series. One that was probably ahead of its time, very meta and the ground work for what was to become Scream.

Before Craven would hit it big with Scream, he made a film called Vampire in Brooklyn with Eddie Murphy. I’ve never seen the film, but I remember when I was younger seeing the trailer and instantly wanting to see it. My uncle said no and for some reason I’ve never had the urge to try and seek it out. It doesn’t help that I’ve never heard a single positive thing about it.

Craven’s next series of films would be his famous Scream trilogy, broken up by one very out of character dramatic film Music of the Heart with Meryl Streep. I feel like once the millennium hit, people stopped caring about Craven’s output. It didn’t help that Scream 3 was a total mess and his next film, Cursed, was seen by nobody. There was a 5-year gap between those films and people were hoping that Cursed would be Craven’s big return to horror. They were wrong. His output after that was few and far between. Red Eye was an enjoyable, if forgettable thriller. It would be another 5 years before his next film came out, to a critical panning and audience thrashing. My Soul To Take was hated by a lot of people. I found it oddly enjoyable for a terrible film. Yes, I know how terrible it is. I don’t care.

Craven’s last film was Scream 4, back in 2011. I found it to be the best since the original and thought Craven had found his way back in the good graces of the horror community. It tore down everything that the current horror generation loves and I loved it for that. Craven had a lot of good films, classic films that he will be remembered for. He also apparently has a lot of bad films, once that I didn’t know about, nor would ever really care to see. His legacy is gold in the horror community and I don’t believe anything will really tarnish that.

Will we see another Wes Craven? It’s hard to tell. He was unique in this strange way that I don’t really know if you could tell you were watching a Wes Craven film. In any event, those are big shoes to fill. It’s no surprise to me that 3 of the man’s films have been remade already. I’ll enjoy this upcoming week as I fill it with films of his: The Hills Have Eyes, Nightmare on Elm Street and maybe even one or two that I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing yet.

Rest in Peace.

Suspect's Reviews

TUS You're the man buddy I read all of this and it's pure gold!

''The First Monster You Have To Scare The Audience With Is Yourself''.

- A legend, An Icon, An ambassador has quit our world today. We will miss your movie Mr.Craven. Always gonna respect you.

Fantastic post TUS. The dude created two of the biggest slasher franchises in history. That's a pretty special feat, at least to me.

Fantastic post TUS. The dude created two of the biggest slasher franchises in history. That's a pretty special feat, at least to me.
Wes Craven is awesome I mean it's one of the director I respect the most for his importance for the horror genre.

The man changed the world.

Robert Englund may have played Freddy Krueger, but Wes Craven is Freddy's father. The man who created him.

Frankly, Halloween and even Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho are nothing compared to A Nightmare on Elm Street. I know that's a "crazy" thing to say, but I don't care because Wes Craven is dead and I'm gonna say it. Freddy Krueger is far better than Michael Myers, Leatherface, Norman Bates.... ALL OF THEM.

How funny that Wes Craven died of brain cancer -- the brain, where all of your dreams and nightmares originate.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freddydoll.JPG
Views:	1205
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	22574  

Why do you always have to make it a contest between Halloween and Nightmare, Sexy? I'm sure John Carpenter and Craven were buds, if not at least on good terms, and I bet Michael and Freddy would have been best friends.