5.41%
2 votes
Rocky V
8.11%
3 votes
Rocky VI: Rocky Balboa
37 votes. You may not vote on this poll

A system of cells interlinked
You know, honestly I just think people miss the point when it comes to the entire series most of the time. Each film has its own theme and purpose. The boxing is just sort of the payoff and is a metaphor to life--meaning something a little different in each one. I think these movies kind of go over the heads of a lot of people.
I thought the allegory in Rocky was obvious and simplistic, to tell you the truth. Raging Bull is just about a billion times more complex, well-written, well played, and directed. Rocky is fluff in comparison.

Wow, I didn't realise how much hatred people had for the Rocky franchise. Yeah, I know it's pro american and all that, but so what? The key word here is ENTERTAINMENT. People are particulary being hard on some of the sequels, namely the 3rd and 4th installments.

To the bloke who said that Rocky 3 wasn't self-conciously camp; how about the scene where Rocky and Apollo Creed are both running in tiny shorts across the beach? And hugging each other? Would you not class that as camp? At least with the sequels theres a sense of them not taking themselves all that seriously. 3 and 4 take a different approach to the Rocky series by making a sports entertaining flick rather than a character drama build up.

I admit that Rocky 2 was boring as **** and a complete rehash of the first one, minus the novelty. And the less said about the 5th one the better, but 3 and 4 aren't suppose to be anything less than entertainment, which I think is the point a lot of you are missing.

Rocky Balboa was simply made so that the series ended on a more personal and better note. Imagine making a few good movies in a series than having it end on another film the calibre of Rocky 5? It's embarrassing.

Rocky Balboa goes back to the original film's roots by using characterisation as a means of progressing the story. This is accomplished by nuanced and subtle performances from Stallone, Young etc. This is why Rocky Balboa is at least a strong ***. Also, it does something different with the last fight sequence, making Rocky fights all the more exciting again!

Try watching Rocky's 3, 4 and Balboa with different perspectives and you guys might actually find that you'll enjoy yourselves..
I thought the allegory in Rocky was obvious and simplistic, to tell you the truth. Raging Bull is just about a billion times more complex, well-written, well played, and directed. Rocky is fluff in comparison.
Hardly.

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry, what point are you trying to make by pasting both those posts? That I should listen to The Prestige, in that the films are simply meant to be entertainment? Or, that I am supposed to elevate middle-of-the-road shlock to the level of masterpiece?

Your articulate post of a whole 1 word speaks volumes about your position on the subject.

I am the Nightrider!
Rocky is a great film, a classic if you will, although I would not have given the film an Oscar, certainly not over Taxi Driver or Network. I like the believability of the characters and the story, about a bum from the streets making good.

The believability got lost real quick as the sequels came along, but Rocky IV is a guilty pleasure, simply because of its ridiculous, far-fetched storyline. I always find myself watching and enjoying, sue me. And Rocky Balboa (aka Rocky VI) was a rather well-done installment, nicely written paying a nice homage to the first film and gives us an interesting path of the character, the best of the sequels.

-UJ

Sorry, what point are you trying to make by pasting both those posts? That I should listen to The Prestige, in that the films are simply meant to be entertainment? Or, that I am supposed to elevate middle-of-the-road shlock to the level of masterpiece?

Your articulate post of a whole 1 word speaks volumes about your position on the subject.

Like the great Leonardo Da Vinci said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." I've never understood this mindset people have which is often found in criticism of music as well, that implies if something is simple or maybe not as drawn out as other things, that is "sucks" or that it has no depth.

Some, such as yourself, may view Rocky as a simple-minded, pugilist, but many are able to see that the physicality of his bouts in the ring is completely irrelevant, as the character transcends the dynamics of the boxing ring, and represents the values upon which America itself once thrived and what people hold dear. His ideology is what has garnered such universal appeal over the past three decades. As everyone knows, his admission to Adrian that he knew he didn't stand a chance as far as physically beating Apollo Creed, in turn revealed his true objective which was to go the distance, because nobody had ever done that before and if he could do that he would know he wasn't just another bum from the neighborhood. Now the beauty of that mindset is that it represents so many things in life. In each of the Rocky films the boxing is a metaphor of some kind, to different aspects of life. In the first, however it can be equated with one’s fight with life. As human beings, we live and we die. Death can only be avoided for so long and in the end it will beat you. That’s the way it is, but what’s absolutely crucial is how we’ve lived. Did we just throw our hands up and say “to hell with it,” or did we take the hits life has thrown at us and continued to move forward? In the end, when all is said and done, if we can be standing, knowing we gave it everything we had, our worth will be proven and we will have the most important kind of respect: self-respect.

That's merely one aspect of the first film. You don't have to like it, but to say Rocky is fluff is beyond stupid. Sometimes it takes sophistication to appreciate simplicity and to be able to see past the surface.

Raging Bull is a great film, absolutely, but I don't see how it and Rocky can be compared. Aside from boxing being part of the plots, their meanings and stories are entirely different. That's like comparing Scarface to Goodfellas (yeah they involve "mobsters"--albeit different kinds, but they are completely different stories).

Rocky is the only one that really approaches greatness as a film. Rocky II and VI are decent. Rocky III is the best fun-ride actioner because it has the best antagonist. Rockys IV and V are dire.

You're a Genius all the time
I think all the Rocky's are pretty lame, overall. The fifth and sixth ones are especially unwatchable, because not only are they crushingly average, they're crushingly boring. If I'm flipping through channels, though, and I happen to see any of the first four on Spike or whatever, I always feel strangely compelled to watch them until the end. I don't really know why, I guess they're just mesmerizingly awful. Rocky IV is probably my "favorite" due to the level of unintentional comedy, quotable cheesiness and sheer guilty enjoyability.

"If he dies, he dies"

I think it's a good series - I've got them all - but I don't know if you could handle watching all of them in a row. They are very redundant. But, Sylvester Stallone carries these films well. He is The Italian Stallion.

I like Rocky's 1-4 the most... 4 being the least. There's like several 10 minute musical montage scenes of either Rocky driving in his car or Rocky training in Russia that are long and pointless and feel like music videos. But the best part about Rocky 4 is Pauly's robot, which is interesting because it starts off as a male robot, but I guess Pauly reprograms it and the next thing you know it speaks in a female voice and has become Pauly's dominating wife figure. Very strange - I wish they had spent more time exploring this storyline.

In each of the Rocky films the boxing is a metaphor of some kind, to different aspects of life. In the first, however it can be equated with one’s fight with life.
O.K., but how does this make it a good film when there are a host of other films that convey the same idea? How a story is told certainly effects the way it is interpreted.
That's merely one aspect of the first film.
Are there any other "aspects" that stand out that make it worthy of being regarded as a great film?
You don't have to like it, but to say Rocky is fluff is beyond stupid. Sometimes it takes sophistication to appreciate simplicity and to be able to see past the surface.
I believe the statement was "fulff in comparison." When looking at it by itself, one can arrive at a different conclusion. However, the story is fairly straightforward--which does not ruin the film--but when repeated over and over in succeeding films, it does get old. The metanarrative may change in each film, but the story stays the same, which can be problematic in terms of valuing any of the films. Thus, when comparing it to other films, one can arrive at the conclusion that it is not as good as other films in the same genre.

Rocky IV was in fact the best Rocky. It was the most compelling and the most intense from a plot/emotion perspective. Rocky 1 and 2 received more critical acclaim and 5 and 6 should not have been made. Three was okay, but four had depth with the East/West plot line and the death of Apollo. Very motivating from a testosterone point of view.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've actually enjoyed all six of the Rockys.They started as a tribute to Rocky Graziano (from Somebody Up There Likes Me) and they turned into something more current and mainstream. Sure, several of them, at least on the "Internets", showed that Rocky sucked, but I still don't buy it. The Rocky movies probably provide as much subtext as any movies since.

Yep, it's trashy, but it's damn good fun.......... The boxing scenes are as unrealistic and silly as ever..........

Yep, it's trashy, but it's damn good fun.......... The boxing scenes are as unrealistic and silly as ever..........
And yet somehow Robert Deniro in Raging Bull getting his face beaten to a bloody pulp and still being able to stand is just so very realistic, isn't it? It's called cinematic fighting. The only Rocky film that had a completely real looking fight scene was Rocky Balboa, but that isn't the point. The fighting is a metaphor and again it's cinematic. It's not supposed to look like you're watching a regular fight on HBO (except for the last one, like I said).

I lived the first one especially .
Then I would say Rocky IV
and the latest one made was rather good.I thought but Sylvester Stallone is looking a bit leather like in this one.

I demand a "Stallone made a deal with the Devil and you are all mad!" option in this poll. I have always found the sequels to be inane and the first film to be one of the most thoroughly overrated cultural artifacts of the latter half of the twentieth century. I mean this godawful thing beat out Taxi Driver for Best Picture for ****'s sake. Taxi Motherpig****ing Driver! The prince of darkness had to be involved there somehow.

*prepares for a torrent of abuse*

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Whatever you think of it now, Taxu Driver had the least chance of all the nominees of winning Best Picture back in 1977. It was the only one of the five nominees to NOT be nominated for either Best Director or Best Screenplay.

Not that I have anything but contempt for the Academy Awards anyway.
And I think the fact that Rocky was even nominated for best screenplay to begin with is rather damning evidence of Stallone's pact with Beelzebub. Did it even have a screenplay? After I last watched the movie, I had just assumed that Sly jury-rigged a surrogate from bits of some old dime novels and backs of cereal boxes.

Not half as bad as when American Beauty; which had many strengths of which it's screenplay was by no means one; won in that category. Here was a film that gave us some fine performances and breath-taking visuals- all despite rather mediocre story and dialogue. And it beat Being John Malkovich out for best screenplay. So maybe Stallone didn't sell his soul to the devil. Perhaps the devil has been running this dog-and-pony show all along

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Rocky IV is, IMO, the best Rocky movie of the lot. I like them all, but the fourth is my favourite because it's massively enjoyable in my eyes, gets me pumped every time I watch it and a terrific example of '80's cheese done to the total extreme, and still remains as entertaining today as it was the first time I watched it.