Favorite character in Sin City.

Tools    

Definetly Marve. That guy was the man

Man of La Movies
Loved Nancy and Hartigan, but Marv is by far the coolest!

marv and kevin

All three protagonists from their respective story arcs are tough "never-say-die" bastards who prevailed (at least in our hearts) despite overwhelming odds. It seemed like a tough choice to make initially, as to which would be my "favorite" character; but upon a moment's reflection -

Hartigan. Easily.

He's the only true hero to me. The motivations of the other two characters are kinda shady and self-serving; Hartigan is a martyr for the cause of justice in a city of sin, trying to help this innocent little girl from the onset when he could have walked away very easily. The other two blokes are, if you were to look at it objectively (that means stop thinking of "how cool Marv is" for a moment ), maladjusted killers with a sadistic and/or mean streak. They are accidental anti-heroes who had their bloody fates thrusted upon them. And along the way, they seem to enjoy brutalizing others too much .

He's the one with the dicky heart. Dwight has able allies while Marv is an unstoppable mutant monster so their welfare never really seemed threatened to me. But when Hartigan does that "damn-my-old-body-is-failing-me-at-a-critical-moment" internal monologues, I was Somehow, his situation seemed the most perilous and disheartening in the whole show - and yet this gritty old man never gives up.

I find it hard to empatize fully with Marv because he seemed too alien to me, too inhuman. Dwight isn't doing anything spectacular (i.e. helping his hoe-friends; trying to stay alive). Hartigan got the crap beaten out of him time and again, for a complete stranger. This is most admirable. His ultimate sacrifice by shooting himself at the end just takes the cake.

just like dylan mr jones
ugh, i was so expecting heaps of people to be discussing and saying they love this film when they have no knowledge about the books whatsoever. all these yahoos i know screaming about the movie, and saying "who?" when i mention frank miller, really irritating. the books are great and so in the film, i wasnt expecting much to be honest, but after seeing it, i decided it was the best movie adaptation of a comic done ever. to answer the question, i liked marv, (yea i know, very cliche) he's so insane, seems bulletproof, only i dont think mickey really acted the part of marv as i imagined him in the book. o well.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Poppy, what are you going on about - who are these crazies who dont know who frank miller is? Surely they must have spotted his name on the credits, its not like you can missit!

Presenting Frank Miller's Sin City

just like dylan mr jones
like, they didnt know of frank's work, i .e 'batman dark knight returns', 'batman-outsiders' 'batman legends of dark knight'. most of the people ive talked to about it dont even know its based on a comic book. grr.

May The Forks be With Us
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

That's HARTIGAN, with a "T". And don't forget it.
Sorry. I really didn't pay attention to how to spell the names. All I really know about the movie are the characters and the plot.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Originally Posted by poppy
like, they didnt know of frank's work, i .e 'batman dark knight returns', 'batman-outsiders' 'batman legends of dark knight'. most of the people ive talked to about it dont even know its based on a comic book. grr.
Some people don't read comic books, i'm sure when Rodriguez made Sin City he wasn't only targeting Frank Millers comic book fans, some with Batman. Theres nothing wrong with not reading comic books, I never heard of Sin City and i never really knew Frank Miller was before I saw the movie, But who cares? No reason to let it bother you.

Marv was my favorite character, and story.

just like dylan mr jones
well, theyre acting like they know everything about sin city, and frank miller, saying theyre fans of him, when they dont know of the comics. i didnt say not reading comic books was wrong, im angry at them talking about something they no nothing of.

one more thing, the quick post thing isnt working.

well i never read the comic books, or even knew Miller worked on them i happily say im a frank miller fan because i enjoyed sin city - his creation...

Marv is a great character, but he's too flat of a character...

I'm torn between Hartigan and Dwight... They are both so awesome...

Dwight sucked a$$, he looked goofy and stupid and i was utterly disappointed - the actual character is great and has a cool story but i was less than impressed at Clive Owen's portrayal.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Hartigan
Marv is a great character, but he's too flat of a character...
They're all pretty flat characters, if you think about it. That's just Miller's Sin City at work. It's his spin on comic noir (which never really had deep characters anyway).

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Marv.

Ditto

Put me in your pocket...
I'm probably going to be beaten for this...but this just wasn't my kind of movie.

Best character for me was the use of color and the stylization of it.

But, I guess if I had to choose...the man I remember most is Marv and the woman is Miho (for some odd reason).

don't worry annie, this movie wasn't high on my list of faves either...i agree with everything you said...

it was beautifully filmed and styled...it was just a little much for me

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by susan
don't worry annie, this movie wasn't high on my list of faves either...i agree with everything you said...

it was beautifully filmed and styled...it was just a little much for me
Oh good...I'm not alone. Thank you susan.