Best Christmas Movies...

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
[b]Sadly, when a film grosses some $260-million in the U.S. alone, yes, they can trumpet their success (though Home Alone made $285-million domestically, and thems 1990 dollars).
Well then sounds like false advertising on behalf of the Grinch, sounds like Home Alone was the holiday movie event of all time.

I didn't give this movie one red cent either

What about Santa Claus The Movie?

Nobody ever remembers this one.

Otherwise I'll voice for Home Alone. The only movie watched by my family religiously at Christmas.

And Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It's not a Christmas movie I know, but it never fails to be on Christmas day in my neck of the woods.

Going back to an old part of this thread concerning short animated Christmas movies, I was pleasantly surprised one Christmas to see a short cartoon about a girl who wishes that every day was Christmas. Of course everybody ends up hating her because of it. It was a lovely movie. Animation was crude but it was very well done. Anyone seen it? I don't even know its name.

I thought Santa Claus: The Movie was a noisy, unfocused, depressing, boring, totally unamusing mess of a flick, with no sense of wonder, no charm, no joy, no nuthin', just plain horrible - and that was my opinion when I saw it in the theater as a lad of fifteen. It didn't work at ALL as a children's movie, and looking back now (it shows up on TV from time to time - though thankfully not with much regularity) there's certainly not anything remotely interesting in it for adults either.

I'd be happy if I couldn't remember that one. Unfortunately, it's still rattling around me noggin. I'd definitely nominate this as one of the all-time WORST Christmas films ever made...EVER. Ernest Saves Christmas is It's a Wonderful Life by comparison to Santa Claus: The Movie.

But maybe that's just me? I'm a different breed of cat.

*meow*

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

for Christmas comedy
Christmas Story, A (1983)
Christmas Vacation (1989)
Ref, The (1994)
Scrooged (1988)
Trading Places (1983)
Trapped in Paradise (1994)

for Christmas horror
Black Christmas (1974)
Gremlins (1984)

for Christmas action
Die Hard (1988)
Lethal Weapon (1987)

for Christmas withinin War
Midnight Clear, A (1991)

for Christmas musical
Holiday Inn (1942)

for Christmas for the kids
Home Alone (1991)

for Christmas Classics
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Scrooge (1951)Alastair Sim

for Christmas animated
Nightmare Before Christmas, The (1993)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Cartoon Short)

There's tons more that I love also, My favorite would prob be
A Christmas Story
________
Laguna Bay Condo Pattaya

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Batman Returns took place at Christmas, and that movie is all sorts of kinky and weird. Also, you gotta love Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! "Droppo, you are the laziest man on Mars!" It's Crap-tacular fun!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

okay, it's december 1st, time to post on the christmas thread.....i have to choose the animated 30 or 60 minute traditional shows; Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, and there may be one or two more...my favorites are the last two i listed by name......the voices, songs, charcters, are all so pleasantly locked into my childhood memory that i can ONLY feel warm and cozy when i see them......i watched Santa Claus Is Coming To Town tonight.....and taped it for my daughter....the Winter Warlock (Keenan Wynn), and Chris Kringle (Mickey Rooney), Burger Meister Meister Burger, et. al. i love those guys!!! anybody know who does the voice for the red head school teacher that ends up being Mrs Kringle? (oops, SPOILER!! ha ha ha ha )

Now With Moveable Parts
I watched that too...on the Family Channel...great minds think alike!

so i take it you, too, were singing and dancing..."just put one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking 'cross the flohhhhh ohhhh ohhrr......"?

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm half watching the Grinch Who Stole Christmas...the cartoon of course. It's so good. It just isn't Christmas for me, if I haven't seen it. Much better than Jim Carey in that repulsive costume! Icky! He looks frightening...I'b be too scared to see that movie if I was a youngin'.

Another seasonal favorite of mine is The Junky's Christmas (1993). It's a short film adaptation of a William S. Burroughs story (author of Naked Lunch, among others), brought to life via stop-motion animation, and narrated by Beat legend Burroughs himself. It's a sweet little tale about a drug addict trying to score some dope through his usual tricks (mostly lying and theft), eventually overcome by the Christmas spirit (kinda). Great stuff.

now that sounds cool, holden.....i've never heard of it....i know Burrough's well. where do you find these things.....or How do i miss them?

and sades....i've heard from many parents/grandparents that their little ones are terrified of Carey's grinch. i haven't seen it. should i?

I think The Junky's Christmas originally ran as a special X-mas treat on VH-1 of all places, back in that channel's infacy. I caught it on the U.S. Bravo network, before they went to commercials and lost all their style. Haven't seen them run it this year, but I taped it a few years back.

Put me in your pocket...
I guess I'm posting a little late here...but these are my favorites during the holiday season. Especially during the middle of the night while I'm wrapping gifts...

White Christmas (1954)
Meet Me in St Louis (1944)
Holiday Inn (1942)
The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Bachelor Mother (1939)
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
We're No Angels (1955)
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (1970)
VeggieTales: The Toy That Saved Christmas (1996)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
March of the Wooden Soilders (1934..Laurel & Hardy)
Babes in Toyland (1961)
Scrooged (1988)
Home Alone (1990)
Sleepless in Seattle *(1993)
You've Got Mail *(1998)
While You Were Sleeping (1995)
Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker (1977) (American Ballet Theatre w/ Mikhail Baryshnikov)

It's tradition for me to watch A Christmas Carol, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation and The Flintstones Christmas Carol. No December-Christmas is complete to me without watchn those movies.

My favorite Holiday films are...

Home for the holidays
Scrooged
National Lampoons Christmas vacation

My favorites are…

A Nightmare Before Christmas
A Christmas Story
(wouldn’t be Christmas without it )
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
It’s A Wonderful Life

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

"I can't help it..."
Christmas Vacation
Jingle All The Way
Nightmare Before Christmas
Yes Virginia, There Is A Santa Clause
Muppet Christamas Carol
A Christmas Carol

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Mine is the Barbara Stanwyck and Fred Macmurry flick Remember the Night
I also really liked the Nightmare Before Christmas

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Lets put a smile on that block
Cant belive theres not a BIG mention for "Its a wonderful LIfe" God i love that film at Christmas. Every Christmas Eve its the tradition. "A Christmas Story" is what i would see (from a Brits point of view) as the perfect american christmas film. When i was in the US for Christmas about a year ago, one station, not sure but maybe TNT is it called? They played "A Christmas Story" over and over again the entire of Christmas Day. Still didnt wacth the whole film though, i kept seeing the same bit again and again. Doh! It was like Groundhog....Christmas day. Anywhoo, my ALL TIME CHRISTMAS MUST VIEWS ARE : -

"Santa Clause - The Movie" With Dudley Moore
"Its a Wonderful Life"
"Nightmare before Christmas" - "Whats this? Whats this? Theres magic everywhere!"- Jack, the Pumkin King.
"Miracle on 34th Street" - The original and the remake
"Disneys - A Christams carol"
"Scrooged"
"Muppets Christmas Carol"
"Beauty and The Beast"
"Home Alone" 1&2
and "Little Women" is suprisingly Christmassy whilst wrapping your crimbo prezzies