The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
The Tree of Life
Days of Heaven
Wings of Desire
Yeah, I just edited mine to put Wings of Desire on. It was an Angel that drove them out, upon their eating of the forbidden fruit, which then created sin. And I thought maybe he was referencing sin somehow and put Seven but realized it didn’t fit the clue as well.

I'm not a big fan of musicals but Singin' in the Rain is probably the best one I've seen. Great film from classic Hollywood.

Die Hard is obviously an action movie classic. It almost made my list. Superb. Influential. Iconic. I don't know if it's by design or chance that it's revealed on Christmas Day but that's pretty cool. Happy Christmas everyone!

Snakes On A Plane

. . . . .and

. Constantine

Tomorrow's hint:

Eden, and what drove them out.
I have no clue, but I'll guess anyways, City of God and Mad Max Fury Road

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Since I watched it yesterday and my memory is still vivid, here are some reasons why Die Hard is an awesome action film:

- It introduced a new archetype to the action movie genre: a vulnerable, ordinary hero with realistic proportions who overcame adversity through his wit and self-deprecating humor.
- Features a memorable villain who is not only charismatic, but is also capable enough to outsmart our hero, which leads to an extremely nail-biting scene in the film's second half.
- McTiernan's direction. You usually don't notice good directing in an action movie, but it's clear how skilled McTiernan is in establishing scenes and piecing together shots that create coherence, not disarray. Despite a lot going on in this film, I'm never lost.
- Fast, efficient exposition. Within 10 minutes, we know everything we need to know about our hero, John McClane –– why he's here, who he is, and what matters to him most.
- A supporting cast that serves a purpose rather than to stand around and serve as backdrops for the ongoing action. Everyone has his/her defining moment, from the empathetic but firm officer Powell to the wise-crackin' limo driver Argyle. It's not easy to balance these many characters and their respective arcs, and yet, Die Hard executes them flawlessly. You could say the conclusion to Powell's redemption arc is a bit unnecessary, but by that point I was so enamored I really didn't care. Absolute classic. Also, Merry Christmas MoFo!
Win, Win!

Tomorrow's hint:

Eden, and what drove them out.
It's a Wonderful Life and The Tree of Life?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I love Die Hard to pieces and have seen it countless times (I watched it last night on Christmas Eve, as is my custom since I bought the LaserDisc in the early 1990s, and I'm watching it again right now, as I type, on HBO). Even so, it wasn't on my list. However Singin' in the Rain is in my top ten. Right at number ten. The third pick from my list to show is simply the greatest Musical of all time; joyous, hysterical, and wonderful. Gene Kelly is almost superhuman the way he moves, graceful and powerful, each muscle working to perfection with every sway and leap and spin, and he was never more charming or bigger than life than here. Kelly's next picture, An American in Paris, would get all of the Academy Award attention but I will take this one over any and every Musical. Singin' in the Rain began with a cold business decision to utilize a catalogue of songs. That the resulting movie is so endlessly witty and fun it is Hollywood magic mixed with exactly the right craftsmen being assembled at exactly the right time. "What am I, dumb or somethin'?"

HOLDEN'S LIST
10. Singin’ in the Rain (#64)
16. Young Frankenstein (#77)
19. Brazil (#100)

What drove them out was the serpent / devil. I'm going with The Exorcist.

Eden = Paradise. I'm also going with Cinrma Paradiso.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't understand why people love Mulholland Drive. The first half of the movie was okay, but by the end, it made no sense to me.

The first thing that I don't understand is why the two women didn't go to the police immediately when they found out that Rita was in a car accident and she had amnesia. It didn't seem like she did anything wrong, so why were they afraid to go to the police for help?
WARNING: "SPOILERS for "Mulholland Drive"!!!" spoilers below
And then everything after the blue box scene made no sense at all. I assume it was supposed to be a dream, but which part was real, and which part was the dream?

It's been a while since I've seen it so some of the details are a bit fuzzy for me, but this is what I remember the film to be about:

WARNING: spoilers below
First, I'll respond to the points and questions you raised. The dream ends when the cowboy says "Time to wake up", illustrated by Betty's and Rita's names changing. Everything in the film which occurs before that is a dream, so the fact that the two women don't go to the police can be thought of as dream logic, which explains why it seems illogical. As for the blue box, my reading is that it's a window from the dream world to the real world. For instance, right before the dream sequence ends (again, it ends with the cowboy's line), Rita goes to unlock it only for it to fall to the floor, with her disappearing from the room. Also, right before the ending, the hobo behind the dumpster can be seen opening the box, where Betty's parents from the dream come out of it (indicating her dream is spilling over into reality).

Essentially, the point of the film is that Diane (Betty in the dream world) dreams up the events from the first few acts to escape from the real life conflicts she faces. As is shown in the final act (again, real life), Diane is in love with Camilla, but Camilla doesn't feel the same towards her. They have a failed affair and it's heavily implied that Camilla slept with Adam to get the lead role, while Diane received a small part. In her dream world, however, many elements from the real world are projected onto it. For instance, a prominent change is that Betty and Rita do have a successful romance in the dream given by their sex scene. As for another change, though Betty (Diane) doesn't get the lead role in the dream despite her strong performance, the reason for this is shown to be because of a massive conspiracy where Adam was forced not to choose Betty (it's important to understand the significance of the actress getting the lead role in the dream being named Camilla Rhodes).

Anyways, I know that more things happens in the film beyond what I covered, but I'd have to watch it again to refresh my memory on the various characters and scenes in the film. This is the general framework of the film though. Personally, I'm not a fan of analyzing films as unique and strange as this one as I greatly prefer admiring them for their sensual power, but yeah, this film does invite analysis, for sure. At any rate, I hope this helps

Thanks. That was actually very helpful. Maybe it will make more sense if I watch the movie again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Singin' in the Rain was the hardest movie for me to cut from my list. It was #3 on my Top 1950s Movies list, but it just barely missed my list this time. I love the movie, and I love Gene Kelly, but there are a few other musicals that I love even more than this. I'm thrilled to see that it made the list without my help.

I like Die Hard, but I don't love it as much as most people do. To me, it's just another action movie, among hundreds of other action movies.