Pets

Tools    

dogs and cats can live a long time.
In terms of grieving for it, it's totally irrelevant how long one's pet lives. Two years, two months, two days - if you love it, it's heartbreaking when it dies. My 10 month old kitten, Harry, died post-surgery last July & the pain of his loss to me is still so great.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
In terms of grieving for it, it's totally irrelevant how long one's pet lives. Two years, two months, two days - if you love it, it's heartbreaking when it dies. My 10 month old kitten, Harry, died post-surgery last July & the pain of his loss to me is still so great.
I totally agree. You cant equate lifespan to loss. That's like saying someone who loses a baby doesnt suffer as much as someone who loses a lifelong friend. Just totally insensitive.

I'm sorry about your kitten, Stirch.

My message to Miss Vicky wasn't about the length of time to grieve.
I never said it was.

I told her to stop buying pets that die every two years and to not get so emotionally attached to them that you think you should pay for surgeries to save their life... when their lifespan is only 2 years.
Sometimes it's better to let a person grieve rather than giving them unsolicited advice.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I am ratless for the first time since I turned 19, back in 2000.

Over the last few days, both of my boys took a bad turn for the worse. I had to have Ralphie euthanized on Tuesday night and Felix was euthanized this morning. The average lifespan for a rat is only about two years and both were older than that, so it wasn't totally unexpected. They'd also both been struggling with chronic respiratory issues and both had multiple tumors which could not be safely operated on due to their respiratory problems. They'd been on medications but in the end it failed to help and I had to say goodbye.

I think I'm gonna wait awhile before getting more. My heart hurts too much, though I know seeing that empty cage every day is gonna be tough too.

Rest in peace Wreck-It Ralph and Fix-It Felix, Jr.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your pets. I know how much you loved them, and it must be extra hard to lose both of them at the same time.

After I lost my rabbit a few years ago, it took me a while to find the right rabbit before getting another one, and I remember how hard it was coming home to an empty cage everyday. If you're not ready to get another pet yet, you might want to move the cage to someplace where you won't see it everyday.

I got new rats!!!!!

I had planned to wait awhile before getting more, but my heart couldn't take seeing that empty cage. My bedroom had also become too quiet at night and I was having trouble sleeping. So a few days after I had to put my last rat to sleep, I contacted Rattie Ratz Rescue and they told me they had taken in some pregnant females and had a few litters of babies. So I reserved two boys. But the babies weren't yet weaned and I've had to wait several weeks to get them.

Yesterday one of the volunteers brought them to me. I am so in love. They are just so precious! I set up a playpen for them (The Grrreat Wall) this morning and they were climbing all over me. They're so sweet!

I had a heck of a time getting a picture of them, but here's the best I could do:

I'm tentatively calling the white one Yeah-Yeah and the black and white one Scotty Smalls. They were both born on June 14, but they are not brothers. Forgive the weird orangey glow of Yeah-Yeah's eye. That's just from the camera flash. His eyes are pink.

I busted out the camcorder to record a softball game, and the tape in it had some old footage of Ike as a puppy. It's old enough that getting that into digital form might be tricky, but I'm looking into it.

I busted out the camcorder to record a softball game, and the tape in it had some old footage of Ike as a puppy. It's old enough that getting that into digital form might be tricky, but I'm looking into it.
What breed is Ike?

My brother had a parrot, it used to sit on the tv cabinet watching us. It started to say p*** off, reckon brothers kids taught it that

Half lab, half pit bull. Or at least, that's what the shelter thought. They're probably right, though, based on how he looks and acts.
Ahhhh a rescue dog, nice to give them a second chance.

Well, partial credit at best: all three of our pets are rescues, but we got them all as kittens and puppies, too.
My dogs were puppies too when i got them, i've never had a cat, i wouldn't really know what they eat or need, i'd like one though.

My dogs were puppies too when i got them, i've never had a cat, i wouldn't really know what they eat or need, i'd like one though.
Cats are much easier than dogs, something I've learned recently.

Cats are much easier than dogs, something I've learned recently.
Is it true cats bring dead birds and mice home? I suppose they eat them if it's true?

Shelters are full of unwanted cats & kittens. It would be great if you adopted one.

Cats are very easy. Wet food a couple of times a day & dry food to nibble on. A nice clean litter box. Lots of love. That's all they need.

Is it true cats bring dead birds and mice home? I suppose they eat them if it's true?
Depends on the circumstances. We've had outdoor cats for decades. I have seen maybe two dead birds in all that time. A dead mouse I have never seen.

In any event, cats are safer indoors. My indoor cats never go outside.

Just like Stirchly said. My cats have never been let outside to roam, and as they become older they lose that desire. Cats that stay indoors are generally healthier and have a longer life span. Our oldest cat Boo hasn't even been to the vet in over 10 years and she's turning 20 soon.