Neill Blomkamp to direct Alien sequel (Alien: Covenant)

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Yes, District 9 was very good. So why does it have to be an Alien movie? That director is better than that, let him do a completely different film!.
I'm of the belief that great directors need great material. D9 was so special for me because of the story. Allegory aside, it was a fresh take.

Elysium (besides Damon) fell short because it just seemed uninspired. Chappie may not be, but I have already designated it as Redbox selection.

Blomkamp has shown he has the chops, now he has a chance to pull off the next Whedon.

I can see Chappie being Short Circuit for adults.

I see it being a bit like Elysium and D9... seen it all before.

Old story wrapped in a new blanket.

Not a fan of Blomkamp now. Not after what he's doing with the Alien franchise.

He can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Is ‘Prometheus’ Holding Up Neill Blomkamp’s ‘Alien’?

This past weekend Michael Biehn gave fanzine update on Neill Blomkamp’s Alien, telling fans at the Sheffield Film and Comic Con that he’s been talking with the director about the film, although he hasn’t seen a script nor has he officially been offered the role of Corporal Hicks. Our previous post laid out the reasons why we think this film could’ve possibly entered the so-called “developmental hell”, which would be rather heartbreaking. However, that might not necessarily be the case…

While Twentieth Century Fox is still hot on the project, our sources tell us that they’re being forced to hold off until after Ridley Scott gets into production on his long-gestured Prometheus sequel. This means a lengthy development process for Blomkamp’s Alien, and a potential release in 2018.

Alien 5 is still very much in the works, as Fox remains hot on the idea,” our regular tipster tells us. “Blomkamp continues to work on the script (only an outline existed previously) and refine the tale he is telling. Ridley Scott is still producing, but has insisted on Prometheus 2 being made first.”

Blomkamp will continue to slowly prep Alien 5 while Scott goes off and makes Prometheus 2 early next year.

But there’s an even larger roadblock that’s being avoided by the feet dragging. Our insider says the “delay” will allow Blomkamp more time to develop his project and afford him the ability to work around any scheduling issues that may arise in reference to Sigourney Weaver’s involvement with James Cameron’s Avatar sequels.

If all goes well, Blomkamp will likely shoot Alien 5 sometime in 2017, ahead of a release the following year. So that gives fans a one-two punch of Scott’s Prometheus 2 in 2017 and Blomkamp’s own Alien film in 2018.

Things are subject to change, of course, but this is the current plan, so says our source.

Additionally, while Biehn is adamant that the new entry into the franchise will ignore Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection, our source thinks that might not be the case, stating that they’re, “…not sure if Biehn’s assertions about it ignoring 3 & 4 are accurate. It’s basically far too early to tell on that front right now.

I’ll happily wait three years for a new Alien film, especially if it means that a lot of time will be invested into hammering out details and ensuring that there’s a strong script and story for us to enjoy.
Alright people, looks like it’s time to enter the cryotubes and get some sleep. This is gonna be a long wait.

per Bloody Digusting

As has been previously speculated, 20th Century Fox‘s plans for Neill Blomkamp‘s proposed big screen foray into their Alien universe appear to be on hold. In fact, “holding” and “pending” are the terms Neill Blomkamp himself used in a Tweet the filmmaker published earlier tonight:

Ridley Scott’s recently-announced Alien: Paradise Lost is the Prometheus sequel to which Neill Blomkamp refers. That film is about to begin production in Australia for a December 31, 2017 release. Scott has previously suggested that it may be followed by additional sequels which could theoretically threaten to delay Neill Blomkamp’s Alien project indefinitely.
Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee that Neill Blomkamp’s project will ever come to fruition, although Blomkamp himself does not seem to have given up hope. There’s also the potential return of Sigourney Weaver to consider as Blomkamp has continually suggested that Ellen Ripley is an important character in the story of his film.

read it with all the ads and pop-ups here

I don't know how unfortunate it is. One, Blomkamp's last couple of films haven't been very good, and two, Blomkamp's greatest strength is his originality. Some of that would get lost by doing a franchise. I think this movie will never happen, and I'm okay with that. I've seen Blomkamp compared to Shyamalan a lot, which I disagree with, but I think he should take from Shyamalan and make a smaller movie that goes back to his roots.

Blomkamp sucks. He's made one half decent movie with D9... and the rest has been abysmal at best.

I'll be glad if he doesn't get the chance to screw this up too.

Blomkamp sucks. He's made one half decent movie with D9... and the rest has been abysmal at best.

I'll be glad if he doesn't get the chance to screw this up too.
agree, only district 9 was nice other than that forgettable movies he made.

I hope this somehow still gets off of the ground, i would love to see him tackle the franchise, I think it would help him, as it's a project that doesn't necessarily match the feel of his previous films, because as much as I really liked District 9, and enjoyed Chappie for the most part, I feel like he's throwing himself into pretty similar territory every single movie. There's enough difference in his three films for it to not be that big of a deal, but yeah. Kind of sucks that's its on hold probably almost exclusively because the new Prometheus film has Alien in the title.

His concept art for Alien 5 was basically the same is all his others though.

Body dismorphia and wanting to change the physical into something twisted.

D9 has genetic changes to the lead character, Elysium had numerous examples with the Matt Damon, Sharlto Copley being all biomechanical and Chappie then took it one step further at the end.

His Alien concept art was Ripley with some sort of weird tubed contraption attached to her and an odd looking S&M style mask.

This thread needs a name change. The Prometheus sequel will tie directly to the Alien films and is officially titled....

But isn't this thread about Neil Blomkamp's Alien?

The poster you have there and the name of it is the sequel to Prometheus, directed by Ridley Scott. That has nothing to do with this thread as they are two different projects (in the same universe of course).

As far as I know too, Blomkamp's Alien project is currently on hold...

It's been suggested that Jennifer Lawrence should play Newt and that Newt would pretty much take the torch from Ripley. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence being able to do for Newt what Sigourney achieved with Ripley. Lawrence is a decent enough actor, but I don't see that level of ferocity in her to be able to maintain the gritty element that the Alien franchise is known for. Though, I could be wrong and this might turn out to be another Ledger/Joker. We'll see.

It's been suggested that Jennifer Lawrence should play Newt and that Newt would pretty much take the torch from Ripley. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence being able to do for Newt what Sigourney achieved with Ripley. Lawrence is a decent enough actor, but I don't see that level of ferocity in her to be able to maintain the gritty element that the Alien franchise is known for. Though, I could be wrong and this might turn out to be another Ledger/Joker. We'll see.

It's a double edged sword for the filmmakers tbh.
Recast Carrie Henn, and get sh*t from fans... cast Carrie Henn, but she's not as cute as she once was. Henn has aged really badly tbh. She's also not done any acting since Aliens.

Blomkamp's movie is on hold anyway. Thank God.
The guy is a hack.

It's a double edged sword for the filmmakers tbh.
Recast Carrie Henn, and get sh*t from fans... cast Carrie Henn, but she's not as cute as she once was. Henn has aged really badly tbh. She's also not done any acting since Aliens.

Blomkamp's movie is on hold anyway. Thank God.
The guy is a hack.
I don't agree, I think given the fact that it's an already established franchise there isn't much he can screw up. Most of it is nicely set up for him and he does have some amazing ideas that I, for one, would love to see realized.

Henn is too old to play Newt anyway. Newt is supposed to be in her twenties.

District 9 is ok... but the rest of Blomkamp's movies are gash.

If he took on Alien... and looking at his body dismorphia in the concept art, and the body dismorphia in all his other movies, including District 9, this will turn out the same as, and probably worse, than Super-Ripley and the Hybrid in Alien Resurrection.

District 9 is ok... but the rest of Blomkamp's movies are gash.

If he took on Alien... and looking at his body dismorphia in the concept art, and the body dismorphia in all his other movies, including District 9, this will turn out the same as, and probably worse, than Super-Ripley and the Hybrid in Alien Resurrection.
At this point anything would be better than Ridley Scott's butchered attempt with Prometheus and this is the man who actually gave us Alien. I think Blomkamp has what it takes to bring the franchise back to its roots. I really hope so anyway.