Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Diana (2013)
Director: Oliver HirschbiegelWriters: Stephen Jeffreys, Kate Snell
Cast: Naomi Watts, Naveen Andrews
Genre: Fictionalized Biography Drama-Romance

I went into watching this with no idea of what this movie was about. It was just a movie that I found on my library shelves. I'd never even heard of it before. All I knew about it was from the DVD cover...it had a big name star, Naomi Watts and she did look like Diana. At least until the movie started. Sure, no actress is going to look just like Diana. But only during a couple of the scenes did she resemble the Princess. Getting the right look is an important part for a film like this. Obviously they were able to get Naomi's makeup right for a couple scenes, so why couldn't they do that for the entire movie?

To make matters worse Naomi seemed to be sleep walking through her performance. There's one scene that worked. It's the famous TV interview in which Diana talked about her failed marriage and about hurting her arms and legs. In that scene Naomi nails the facial expressions of Diana. For that brief moment she was Diana.

Otherwise what we get is Naomi Watts, looking like Naomi and acting like Naomi. I can only conclude that the director wanted to make some sort of mock-documentary, as Diana is portrayed in the most negative fashion possible.

I know very little about the real Diana and have no strong opinions about her. But in the film she literally stalks a Pakistan surgeon who she has had an affair with. He tries to break it off with her and yet she repeatedly call hims. She even goes so far as to do a fake Irish accent and lying about her identity when he refuses to talk to her. Then we see her desperately rushing to his apartment, sneaking in with a spare key and cleaning the place on her hands and knees. And the apartment was dirty!...with half eaten food everywhere and dirty dishes staked high!

We don't see Diana caring about her sons or caring about anything other than the surgeon. We see only one brief visit to Africa on her campaign to rid the world of land minds. This was a big part of the last years of her life and yet the film glazes over it like it was nothign. It was as if anything interesting or positive about her was left out of the story. Instead we see her rolling around the floor with a dumpy looking surgeon. Only at the very end of the film do we see her with Dodi Fayed. Then we learn that Diana is only with Dodi to make the first boyfriend (the surgeon) jealous.

I found myself not believing the portrayal of Diana or the story the movie told. I felt like I was watching a bad made for TV movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diana (2013) 1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	48307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diana (2013) 2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	48308  

No wonder the film bombed Citizen. I don't know what Oliver Hirschbiegel was thinking when he took on that story, it was obviously going to be a hiding to nothing.

This thing bombed so badly. It doesn't even have that gleeful so bad it's good/funny/cheesy/etc side going for it from everything I've heard.

Thanks guys for your comments I don't know if any of you followed the media coverage on Diana when she was alive. I'm about the same age Diana would have been, so I remember many of the news stories and I never heard of her affair with the surgeon.

Thanks guys for your comments I don't know if any of you followed the media coverage on Diana when she was alive. I'm about the same age Diana would have been, so I remember many of the news stories and I never heard of her affair with the surgeon.
Oh, there was plenty of stuff about her after she split with Charles. There's lots of rumours about her (and Fergie (the royal one)),

Yes, unfortunately the British public know far more than we really need to know or are even interested in about Diana. As far as I know the surgeon has never spoken about details of their affair so at least we have his discretion to be thankful for.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

Director: W.D. Richter
Writer: Earl Mac Rauch
Cast: Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd
Genre: Action Comedy Drama Sci Fi

"No matter where you go, there you are."...Buckaroo Banzai

Historical background: In 1938 Orson Welles gave his infamous War of the Worlds radio broadcast. In that broadcast he warned the world that aliens had landed at Grover's Mill, New Jersey. He was being sincere. After the radio broadcast, aliens from the 8th dimension brain washed Orson into announcing that the radio show had been a hoax.

Flash forward: 1984, Dr. Buckaroo Banzai is a renascences man, who skills range from neurosurgery to physics to rock musician. He has gathered together a group of multi talented individuals, The Hong Kong Cavaliers. Together in their research lab at the Banzai Institute, they attempt to recreate the scientific experiment that killed his adopted Japaneses parents in 1954. If Buckaroo is successful in his jet powered Ford pickup equipped with the oscillation over-thruster, he will be able to travel through solid matter. No small feat...His crack team of researchers watches as he blast across the salt flats at the speed of sound. Dead ahead is a mountain range....Unknown to Buckaroo, the aliens from the 8th dimension have their eyes on him too.

Review: If you understand all of that then you have an idea of what the movie is about. But be prepared, the movie is packed full of nuances that makes grasping the meaning of it challenging. No doubt that's why it's considered a cult classic. The film packs so much 'stuff' in it, it becomes a mystery as to what the films is really about. That's the fun of it.

Cast: The film's cast reads like a who's who of upcoming actors in the early 1980s. Peter Weller owns the role of Buckaroo Banzai. This is the film that made him a star. Not to be overlooked is a wildly insane John Lithgow. Ellen Barkin is in her prime here and she's worth a look. Not to mention the talented performances by Jeff Goldblum and Christopher Lloyd.

Sets: The film looks great for a 1980s sci fi. Most impressive is the rocket powered Ford 350 pickup truck. It's real, they actually had a rocket engine in it and filmed it on the salt flats...a nicely done scene too. The aliens on the other hand sort of look like guys in rubber mask, but oh well, sci fi is not what this film is really about.

I really enjoyed this blast from the past and I'm looking forward to watching it again!

+
Attachments

Name:	The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	30073  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I seen it way back in the day, but remembered nothing. It's one movie I have got to watch again.

I've seen it a bunch of times, and it gets better every time I watch it.

Have you seen the deleted scene with Jamie Lee Curtis? I don't know if it's on YouTube or not, but it's on the DVD.

I seen it way back in the day, but remembered nothing. It's one movie I have got to watch again.

Did you read my review? I know it's long but I'm proud of that one.

Yes, I read your review. Great job.

Thanks! That was a fun one to write.

Yes I seen it! The DVD had tons of extras on it including the extended 'home movie' with a young Buckaroo Banzai and Jamie Lee. The director said she was hanging around the studio and wanted to be in the film if possible.

Thanks! That was a fun one to write.

Yes I seen it! The DVD had tons of extras on it including the extended 'home movie' with a young Buckaroo Banzai and Jamie Lee. The director said she was hanging around the studio and wanted to be in the film if possible.

I haven't watched the DVD extras in a long time, but that scene stood out in my mind.

The Book Thief (2013)

Director: Brian Percival
Writers: Michael Petroni(screenplay), Markus Zusak (novel)
Cast: Sophie Nélisse, Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson

Premise (spoiler free): An illiterate girl is adopted by a poor German family in 1938. As Liesel (Sophie Nélisse) struggles with learning how to read...her adopted family gives shelter to a young Jewish man, whom she befriends. When the Nazis become increasingly militant, Liesel risk everything by stealing books to quench her desire for reading.

Review: There's a lot to admire about this movie and a few things that I wish had been done differently. The Book Thief is set in Germany during WW II but it's not an ultra-serious film like: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008) or The Pianist (2002). The Book Thief takes a serious subject and adds sentimentality to tug at our heart strings. At times it feels like one of Spielberg's idealistic uplifting films. If you like those type of films, you will love this one.

My biggest complaint was the decision to do a voice over, omnipotent narrator...aka the Grim Reaper. I suppose this was done as it's an important part of the novel. But every time the Grim Reaper narrator spoke, it took me out of the film, it was very distracting. The film would have had a nicely done ending, if they hadn't shamelessly done product endorsement by showing a close up of an Apple computer logo.

Acting: Newcomer Sophie Nélisse who plays Leisel, makes any of the films shortcomings seem unimportant. This girl can act! She does such a wonderful job of bringing her role to life, that I'm surprised she didn't receive an Academy Award nomination. Keep your eye on Sophie, she has a bright future on the silver screen.

The actor who played Leisel's adopted father, Geoffrey Rush was excellent and added the right mix of gently emotions to the film.

I really enjoyed this film. It looks great, the cinematography, the music score, the sets, all are perfect.

Attachments

Name:	The Book Thief (2013).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	48314