A made for TV movie about a Japanese farm family.

Tools    

Hisaye Yamamoto was a Japanese-American writer and had already started publishing short stories before 1970. So it seems to me possible that there could have been another movie based on his works that came out around 1970. But so far the only movie I can find based on the stories of Hisaye Yamamoto is this 1991 one.

Thank you KEVP. The more I think about it, the more I question my memory. It's likely that I got the time frame wrong and I did indeed see this movie in the early 90s. I watched a different movie in 1970 and assigned my memories of this film to it, for some reason. I question if this work would be released in 2 different films, unlikely, I think. Many thanks to you KEVP and to wositelec for spending your time on this project. Also, OHForums thank you.

There are some differences I've noticed for sure. The radio thing for one.
In "my" movie I am sure a scene with two kids and radio. Did you watch whole movie? Perhaps a version from Youtube is incomplete.

Yes, I watched this whole film. It had a beginning, a middle and an ending. This was the whole movie. If there was an earlier film, it may have had a different title. Perhaps "17 syllables ". Which I think was one of the original short story titles.
Thank you for finding this film, I've watched it 3 times, it brought back memories for me.

The title of this film, "Hot Summer Winds", made it somewhat hard to find. A different title, maybe something like "The Hired Hand" would have been easier. I think this title was taken by another film though.

The title of this film, "Hot Summer Winds", made it somewhat hard to fine. A different title, maybe something like "The Hired Hand" would have been easier. I think this title was taken by another film though.
OK. I don't have other idea. Perhaps somebody inspired this movie or your memory "mixed" different movies.

Wositelec you have done enough, thanks a lot.